Plouffe- Snider- Brown? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Plouffe- Snider- Brown?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Plouffe- Snider- Brown?

Postby airbus3001 » Fri Mar 01, 2013 10:00 am

Who puts up better fantasy numbers this year?
Trevor Plouffe
Travis Snider
Dominic Brown
airbus3001
Little League Legend
Little League Legend

(Past Year: 3)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Plouffe- Snider- Brown?

Postby J35J » Fri Mar 01, 2013 10:36 am

Trevor Plouffe - Plouffe is a little difficult to judge, 4 of his 6 months last year he couldn't hit over .218. Hitting 11HR in June really is the only reason people are talking about him. He's also not that good defensively at 3B so he's going to have to hit or he'll lose PT.
I'll put him down for .... 450AB - .241/.312/.428 - 18hr - 60rbi - 60runs - 4sb

Travis Snider - With Garrett Jones, Alex Presley, Jerry Sands, Jose Tabata and Starling Marte all vying for PT it'll be difficult for anyone to get a ton of ABs. It looks like Marte is probably a lock in LF but that still leaves 5 guys who will want some PT in RF...Snider being one of them. I'll put him down for 380AB - .251/.315/.430 - 15hr - 50rbi - 50runs - 6sb

Dominic Brown - Brown is in a similar boat to Snider...he's got to hold off the likes of Delmon Young, John Mayberry, Lance Nix and Darin Ruf. For some reason they'll probably give Young one of the corner spots which leaves Brown fighting with 3 other players for the other corner. I do think this is the year Brown gets a longer look in the bigs and if he plays well at all he should be able to get a decent amount of ABs. I'll put him down for 440AB - .254/.329/.426 - 15hr - 62rbi - 62runs - 10SB

I'm not really giddy about any of the three but my order would be
Brown
Plouffe
Snider
J35J
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 398)

Postby Ender » Fri Mar 01, 2013 10:39 am

Plouffe if you have to play them every single day.

Brown if you can sub in guys on days off etc.

I don't think Brown or Snider are full time players. Brown is lost at the plate against off speed stuff from lefties. Snider is a bit more intriguing but if he couldn't hit in Toronto I don't like his odds of hitting in a much worse park in Pittsburgh.
Ender
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert

Postby kab21 » Fri Mar 01, 2013 1:03 pm

Plouffe has me completely puzzled as a Twins fan. I want to be overly optimistic but I feel like he could also be dreadfully awful. The summary of his entire MiLB career was neither disappointing or impressing at any level. Just enough to move one level every season. Starting in 2010 the power numbers started to rise and he has put up some impressive numbers in short spurts. It's difficult to know how much his wrist injury affected him but his amazing run last June/July ended when he got injured. I think he's a great guy to take if you have a little bench flexibility to sub a guy in if he's hitting .230 with a couple of HR's. The good news is that he has virtually no competition at 3B. The best the Twins have to offer is a mediocre utility IF'er that would be starting at 2B or SS if he was any good.

I like Snider more than Brown but Snider has a lot of competition for playing time. He just looks like that post-post hype sleeper. Brown hasn't really hit anywhere the last two seasons.

tbh I'm not much higher on a guy like Moustakas compared to Plouffe. Pretty similar imo other than Mous is younger and was a top 25 prospect multiple times.
kab21
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 176)

Postby Ender » Fri Mar 01, 2013 1:33 pm

tbh I'm not much higher on a guy like Moustakas compared to Plouffe. Pretty similar imo other than Mous is younger and was a top 25 prospect multiple times

Well Moustakas is 3 years younger and if his contact grows towards his minor league numbers he will hit for a higher AVG. I mean if this were say a keeper league where you keep players for the next 3 years Moustakas would be an absolutely no doubt pick over Plouffe. For just this year they are probably closer than most think.
Ender
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert

Postby kab21 » Fri Mar 01, 2013 2:01 pm

Plouffe actually had similar contact numbers to Mous in the minors. The big difference was that Plouffe never showed interesting power until a few spurts recently. And because of that he wasn't a very interesting prospect. His scouting reports always suggested that it was there though. I actually see both similar offensively to JJ Hardy w/o the defense. Low K's, Low BB's, Low BAPIP and good power.

In a keeper/dynasty I would definitely be taking Mous but I actually picked up Plouffe on the cheap this offseason. Luckily I also picked up the Panda as a starter.
kab21
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 176)

Postby Ender » Fri Mar 01, 2013 2:40 pm

I drafted Plouffe in a couple leagues last year for the sneaky SS eligibility. I was looking really smart for a part of the season! It is a bit nitpicky but Plouffe was a 79-82% contact guy in the minors. Moustakas was as high as 85%. He definitely has a little more AVG upside than Plouffe does. I see Plouffe as more a .240s guy and Moustakas more of a .260s.
Ender
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert

Postby bayside » Fri Mar 01, 2013 3:53 pm

In standard 12 teams leagues Brown and Snider are irrelevant.
Plouffe is a little more valuable as a bench guy because he has shown HR power at the MLB level and his 3B/)F elg is nice. But none of these guys should be pegged as a starter for a fantasy team.
bayside
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Return to Baseball Leftovers