The Indians stink.... - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

The Indians stink....

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

The Indians stink....

Postby Ender » Fri Mar 01, 2013 1:44 am

Kind of random but there you go. That rotation is awful and Bauer is grossly overrated so he isn't the savior. That is still a sub .500 team with absolutely no chance at the playoffs.
Ender
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: The Indians stink....

Postby ayebatter » Fri Mar 01, 2013 2:29 am

I think you're right.
So-Cal 25 Club _762_
ayebatter

ModeratorCafeholicResponse TeamMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 1299)

Postby AussieDodger » Fri Mar 01, 2013 3:52 am

I know the Tigers SHOULD beat their brains in, but the Indians hitting/defense is vastly improved and I am very interested to see what a fresh set of eyes (T.Francona and friends) does with Masterson/Ubaldo/Bauer.

I think the Indians are a trade (or two) from being a contender. Not quite in 2013
ATTENTION LONG-TIMERS! NEW FBC: http://fbc2.freeforums.net/
AussieDodger
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterEagle Eye
(Past Year: 25)

The Indians stink....

Postby wingman3110 » Fri Mar 01, 2013 9:19 am

Hey now!
"Just be you. You is enough." - Coach K
wingman3110
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafe Ranker
(Past Year: 122)

Postby Ender » Fri Mar 01, 2013 9:36 am

Also of note, that park is awful for Stubbs and Reynolds. I'm going under the assumption they will both be part timers by mid season. They were marginal players in favorable parks. Stubbs moving off CF really killed his value too.
Ender
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert

Postby Chadgo5 » Fri Mar 01, 2013 9:43 am

Being an Indians fan, I take no offense to this. lol

But, at the end of last year, I felt this team had no hope and had hit rock-bottom. The big-league roster was horrible. The farm system is pretty barren. The ownership seemingly unwilling to invest in the team. And the beer and hot dogs were too expensive at the stadium!

Now... there is some light. Maybe just a flicker. I wouldnt say they are contenders by any means, but they should be more exciting to watch and there is a hint at a possible successful future. They sold out the home opener here in six minutes. People are talking about the Tribe again. I think every Tribe fan realizes that we have no reason to believe we can compete with the Tigers or maybe even the Royals... but its better than last year... and there was no way they were going to completely overhaul the team in one off-season. But it is a start. And it is kinda exciting to be a Tribe fan again.

And they are reducing the prices on hot dogs and beer! So at least there is that.
Chadgo5
College Coach
College Coach

(Past Year: 5)

Postby Inukchuk » Fri Mar 01, 2013 9:44 am

Ender wrote:...Bauer is grossly overrated...

What makes you think this? I agree with you, but I'd like some more input on the matter. From what I saw of him last season, before he even threw a pitch, he was drenched in sweat from his pregame routine. That, along with his high energy delivery, has me thinking he won't be lasting long in many games. He also seems to be pretty averse to change, making coachability a possible issue.
abrunn11... the place to go for all your sig needs...
Inukchuk
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe WriterMock(ing) Drafter
Location: Coming down on this hospital like the hammer of Thor

Postby Ender » Fri Mar 01, 2013 10:36 am

Inukchuk wrote:
Ender wrote:...Bauer is grossly overrated...

What makes you think this? I agree with you, but I'd like some more input on the matter. From what I saw of him last season, before he even threw a pitch, he was drenched in sweat from his pregame routine. That, along with his high energy delivery, has me thinking he won't be lasting long in many games. He also seems to be pretty averse to change, making coachability a possible issue.

His delivery is also not very repeatable which is why his control has always been so mediocre. He walked over 10% of the batters he faced in the minors every year and built those good ERA's by blowing guys away and strand rate more than by skills. Considering the K rate he was pretty hittable and they were making hard contact since he still gave up a good number of HR. His skillset reminds me a lot of a Billingsley or Morrow which are still great skillsets but they are the type that takes time to turn into production in the majors too. I'd be shocked to see him with an ERA under 4 this season. Down the road it just depends on how he develops.

I don't think the Diamondbacks traded him because of his stubborness, they traded him because they saw a lot of flaws and that he was being overvalued by the market. Having said that I don't know why they didn't go after Elvis Andrus with Upton and Bauer instead of setting for Gregorius.
Ender
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert

Postby kab21 » Fri Mar 01, 2013 2:14 pm

Bauer sounds kind of like what I saw with Tillman a few years ago. Great arm but the stuff just didn't transfer to the majors. He preferred to just blow his heat by batters high in the zone. His only other worthwhile pitch was a devastating curve that he had no control over. Smart batters just stayed away from it.

edit - My Twins are still worse. The Central continues to be a joke.
kab21
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 170)

Postby Element » Fri Mar 01, 2013 3:13 pm

AussieDodger wrote:I know the Tigers SHOULD beat their brains in, but the Indians hitting/defense is vastly improved and I am very interested to see what a fresh set of eyes (T.Francona and friends) does with Masterson/Ubaldo/Bauer.

I think the Indians are a trade (or two) from being a contender. Not quite in 2013

This is exactly where I'm at too. I think the White Sox, Indians and Royals are all in the same boat. I wouldn't be shocked to see any of those teams finished 2nd or 4th. All should be decent, but none great. I have never been a fan of Jimenez, but Ubaldo, Myers & Masterson should at least be able to provide innings. McAllister looks okay for a back end guy. You never know with Bauer. The guy that I am watching is Carrasco. He could've come back last September (TJ Surgery), but they kept him out. He should be strong for this spring. Before he got hurt in 2011 he was showing some flashes of why he was a top prospect. The stuff is there.
Element
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 719)

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers