Melky Cabrera... Fantasy Poison - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Melky Cabrera... Fantasy Poison

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Melky Cabrera... Fantasy Poison

Postby Ender » Fri Mar 01, 2013 1:39 am

I simply do not get this at all? I have been a big Melky fanboy for years because he has been underrated as a teen/teen type with a solid but not amazing AVG. The past 2 years he didn't improve in any meaningful way but BABIP. He still is a 15ish HR guy, he still is a 15ish SB guy. He still displays .280-.290 AVG skills. All of that points to something like 150-170 R+RBI. This is not a skillset that should be going in single digit rounds yet it seems he always is going there. It seems like fantasy players are buying into a .310+ AVG which makes no sense at all.

None of this even considers the steroid thing, even with his current skillset this value makes no sense for him.
Ender
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Melky Cabrera... Fantasy Poison

Postby GiantsFan14 » Fri Mar 01, 2013 2:23 am

I've got him at .291-14-90-77-17 and according to my auction values that's worth $18 good for 75th overall. There's some risk involved but I don't see anything wrong with where he's being drafted (105 MDP) if he can put something like that together. Solid 5 category guy.
@FBC_GiantsFan14 on Twitter
GiantsFan14
Baseball Scribe
Baseball Scribe

EditorCafeholicResponse TeamCafe WriterGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 452)

Postby ayebatter » Fri Mar 01, 2013 2:28 am

I've never been a Melky fan but I've got him at 19/100/80/15/.305 this year in a what looks to be a great Toronto offense and I'm gonna own him in every league I can. ;-)
So-Cal 25 Club _762_
ayebatter

ModeratorCafeholicResponse TeamMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 1438)

Postby ayebatter » Fri Mar 01, 2013 2:37 am

ayebatter wrote:I've never been a Melky fan but I've got him at 19/100/80/15/.305 this year in a what looks to be a great Toronto offense and I'm gonna own him in every league I can. ;-)

In fact I paid $6 in one 12 team auction, $1 in another, took him at #94 in another and in the 5th rd of a keeper after 5 keepers were kept by each team, I'm lovin' him. ;-D
So-Cal 25 Club _762_
ayebatter

ModeratorCafeholicResponse TeamMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 1438)

Postby AussieDodger » Fri Mar 01, 2013 3:42 am

Melky annoys me because he's got a box full of elite-ish skills (his AB/XBH, BB/K and AB/SBO were all elite in 2012), but then you look at the fact that he was a 11 HR/13 SB guy last year, and is someone who we know is going from on PEDs to off PEDs.

Also the fact that David Murphy put up similar (or better) numbers in AB/XBH, BB/K and AB/SBO, plays in Texas, and is most likely a third of the price.
AussieDodger
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterEagle Eye
(Past Year: 16)

Postby Izenhart » Fri Mar 01, 2013 7:08 am

AussieDodger wrote:Melky annoys me because he's got a box full of elite-ish skills (his AB/XBH, BB/K and AB/SBO were all elite in 2012), but then you look at the fact that he was a 11 HR/13 SB guy last year, and is someone who we know is going from on PEDs to off PEDs.

Also the fact that David Murphy put up similar (or better) numbers in AB/XBH, BB/K and AB/SBO, plays in Texas, and is most likely a third of the price.

I'm taking both when I can ;-D
Izenhart
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 301)

Postby rotoquest » Fri Mar 01, 2013 7:11 am

AussieDodger wrote:Melky annoys me because he's got a box full of elite-ish skills (his AB/XBH, BB/K and AB/SBO were all elite in 2012), but then you look at the fact that he was a 11 HR/13 SB guy last year, and is someone who we know is going from on PEDs to off PEDs.

+1 ;-D

GiantsFan14 wrote:I've got him at .291-14-90-77-17 and according to my auction values that's worth $18 good for 75th overall. There's some risk involved but I don't see anything wrong with where he's being drafted (105 MDP) if he can put something like that together. Solid 5 category guy.

I see the 5 categories, but I'm not seeing the 5 category guy. ;-7 :-o
rotoquest
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafe Ranker
(Past Year: 193)

Postby Ender » Fri Mar 01, 2013 9:04 am

So those values aren't that far off from mine. I have him at .285, 85, 15, 75, 15. That is like my 35th OF which is nowhere near the top 75. He is giving you like 10 R above average and a little bit of average and not much of value other than that. I guess if I believed in him hitting .305 it would help a bit but I just don't believe in it.
Ender
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert

Postby Pogotheostrich » Fri Mar 01, 2013 9:50 am

I traded Frazier for him in a keeper and couldn't be happier.
35th OF seems a little high to me. I'm pretty happy with my OF if Melky is my 3rd guy.
Pogotheostrich
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 353)

Postby Ender » Fri Mar 01, 2013 9:54 am

He is sitting down there with Aoki, Austin Jackson (another overrated guy), Corey Hart (injury), Ichiiro, Willingham etc range. OF is incredibly deep this year. If I look at my roster and see Cabrera as my 2nd best OF I think my team is probably in a lot of trouble.
Ender
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers