2013 Spring Training Thread - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

2013 Spring Training Thread

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: 2013 Spring Training Thread

Postby A Fleshner Fantasy » Fri Mar 22, 2013 6:59 pm

Look out for Jake Arrieta, guys. He's had a few great outings in a row and looks like he's going to claim the last spot in the O's rotation. Definitely worth looking out for, especially in AL only or deep mixed leagues.
Image

2011 Live Free or DyNasty Champ
A Fleshner Fantasy
Wicked Wikitect
Wicked Wikitect

User avatar
CafeholicMock(ing) Drafter
Posts: 3542
(Past Year: 31)
Joined: 11 May 2006
Home Cafe: Football

Re: 2013 Spring Training Thread

Postby Ender » Fri Mar 22, 2013 10:55 pm

I think the last few days of spring training has shown to take all of these looks great pitchers with a grain of salt. It seems like 75% of the looks great sleeper types have had awful outings in the past couple of days.
Ender
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert
Posts: 7733
Joined: 30 Apr 2004
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: 2013 Spring Training Thread

Postby Element » Fri Mar 22, 2013 11:21 pm

The Mariners told Garland that he wasn't going to be offered a spot on the 25 man rosters. This is big because if he and Beavan took the 4th and 5th spots it would mean that Erasmo Ramirez starts the season in AAA. It looks like he has a spot entering the season! :-L
Image
Element
General Manager
General Manager

User avatar
Cafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter
Posts: 4909
(Past Year: 610)
Joined: 25 Feb 2006
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: 2013 Spring Training Thread

Postby Ender » Fri Mar 22, 2013 11:26 pm

Element wrote:The Mariners told Garland that he wasn't going to be offered a spot on the 25 man rosters. This is big because if he and Beavan took the 4th and 5th spots it would mean that Erasmo Ramirez starts the season in AAA. It looks like he has a spot entering the season! :-L



No reason to own Erasmo Ramirez in anything but an AL only league so not a big deal to me. This is one of those I just don't understand it types. Low upside guy with a lot of risk on a mediocre team, don't sign me up. This reminds me so much of the hype for Henderson Alvarez last year which not surprisingly burned a bunch of people. Low BB isn't a great skill to target when you don't strike anyone out and don't have a single dominant pitch. You are hoping to get Mark Buerhle stats which are more or less useless in a mixed league.
Ender
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert
Posts: 7733
Joined: 30 Apr 2004
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: 2013 Spring Training Thread

Postby Element » Sat Mar 23, 2013 12:02 am

Ender wrote:
Element wrote:The Mariners told Garland that he wasn't going to be offered a spot on the 25 man rosters. This is big because if he and Beavan took the 4th and 5th spots it would mean that Erasmo Ramirez starts the season in AAA. It looks like he has a spot entering the season! :-L



No reason to own Erasmo Ramirez in anything but an AL only league so not a big deal to me. This is one of those I just don't understand it types. Low upside guy with a lot of risk on a mediocre team, don't sign me up. This reminds me so much of the hype for Henderson Alvarez last year which not surprisingly burned a bunch of people. Low BB isn't a great skill to target when you don't strike anyone out and don't have a single dominant pitch. You are hoping to get Mark Buerhle stats which are more or less useless in a mixed league.


I get the Henderson Alvarez comparison to some degree (arm slot maybe). The few times that I've seen Alvarez I wasn't overly impressed. He had decent movement on his fastball, but absolutely nothing like what I was seeing from Erasmo in the 2nd half last season. Ramirez' changeup is devastating. He was getting 10+ mph differential (fastball to change). From what I remember, Alvarez is not even close to that. Most everything from him was high 80's to low 90's. He doesn't change speeds and well and doesn't get anywhere close to the same amount of movement. I also think that the M's are going to surprise some people this season. I like what they're doing right now.

I'm expecting 3.65/1.20 with a K9 just north of 7. The only question that I have with him is his durability. He's small & has a max effort delivery that's not exactly clean. Reminds me a lot of Peavy when he first broke in (in terms of delivery). Even if I'm wrong, it's not like it's going to cost me much to find out.
Image
Element
General Manager
General Manager

User avatar
Cafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter
Posts: 4909
(Past Year: 610)
Joined: 25 Feb 2006
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: 2013 Spring Training Thread

Postby J35J » Sat Mar 23, 2013 9:41 am

Element wrote: Even if I'm wrong, it's not like it's going to cost me much to find out.

Yup, being wrong on him won't "burn" you...he's a last couple round flyer.
J35J
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly Winner
Posts: 10467
(Past Year: 358)
Joined: 26 Jan 2004
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: 2013 Spring Training Thread

Postby Ender » Sat Mar 23, 2013 10:13 am

My issue is more that being right isn't going to help you much. I'd rather just pick up a closer in waiting guy than guys like Erasmo who aren't really worth owning even if they do perform up to those expectations.
Ender
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert
Posts: 7733
Joined: 30 Apr 2004
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: 2013 Spring Training Thread

Postby GiantsFan14 » Sat Mar 23, 2013 5:45 pm

Lincecum does not look good. Could still be pretty rusty with the time missed due to his blister, but the control just isn't there.
Image
25
@FBC_GiantsFan14 on Twitter
GiantsFan14
Baseball Scribe
Baseball Scribe

User avatar
EditorCafeholicResponse TeamCafe WriterGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner
Posts: 14142
(Past Year: 427)
Joined: 12 Mar 2006
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: BUSTER HATH ARRIVED

Re: 2013 Spring Training Thread

Postby GiantsFan14 » Sat Mar 23, 2013 6:13 pm

Belt with another monster HR. Just got under one the at bat before. It's getting hard not to be excited about him this year.
Image
25
@FBC_GiantsFan14 on Twitter
GiantsFan14
Baseball Scribe
Baseball Scribe

User avatar
EditorCafeholicResponse TeamCafe WriterGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner
Posts: 14142
(Past Year: 427)
Joined: 12 Mar 2006
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: BUSTER HATH ARRIVED

Re: 2013 Spring Training Thread

Postby Ender » Sat Mar 23, 2013 6:23 pm

GiantsFan14 wrote:Lincecum does not look good. Could still be pretty rusty with the time missed due to his blister, but the control just isn't there.



Yeah I have him benched in the one league I own him and will just play wait and see for April. The strike outs were there at least.
Ender
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert
Posts: 7733
Joined: 30 Apr 2004
Home Cafe: Baseball

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 9 guests

cron
Forums Articles & Tips Sleepers Rankings Leagues


Get Ready...
The 2015 MLB season starts in 22:42 hours
(and 92 days)

  • Fantasy Baseball
  • Article Submissions
  • Privacy Statement
  • Site Survey 
  • Contact