Where do you rank Mark Trumbo...? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Where do you rank Mark Trumbo...?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Where do you rank Mark Trumbo...?

Postby abrage22 » Thu Feb 28, 2013 2:43 am

For a guy that can give you a solid 30-35 homers with a good amount of RBIs. He's basically a Jay Bruce, but he's ranked well below him. And I'd much rather take him rounds after a guy like Holliday, and only lose a little in average...
abrage22
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe WriterGraphics ExpertEagle EyeWeb SupporterLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Where do you rank Mark Trumbo...?

Postby kab21 » Thu Feb 28, 2013 4:56 am

I concur with Trumbo except that you'll be losing more than a little average compared to Holliday. You will lose 40-50 pts and that is substantial.
kab21
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 170)

Postby rotoquest » Thu Feb 28, 2013 7:33 am

I agree with Kab. Trumbo is a 2 1/2 category player in fantasy. You get much more stuff with the other 2 than you get with trumbo, and that's only if he gets 500+ at bats again. His best full time gig right now is at DH, but that's a shared position under the reigns of the Scioscia-path. Trumbo is a good pick at 110+, but if another drafter picks him in the 5th round, you win.

Bruce, Jay RF CIN 90RUNS, 36HR, 100RBI's, 9SB, 0.257BA (420 pts)
Holliday, Matt LF STL 90RUNS 25HR , 102RBI's, 4SB , 0.2955BA (384 pts)
Trumbo, Mark LF LAA 66RUNS, 32HR, 95RBI's, 4SB, 0.2684BA (360 pts)
rotoquest
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafe Ranker
(Past Year: 194)

Postby Ender » Thu Feb 28, 2013 8:30 am

He is a slug on the bases and doesn't BB at all which limits his R. I'm not convinced he can maintain a .250 AVG playing every day, it took an elevated BABIP to hit .265 last year. I think his upside is a little below Bruce's normal year and Bruce has a real shot at improving if he can solve lefties. They both have contact issues but Bruce has a really good approach at the plate and Trumbo is more of just a hacker, it leads to much different upsides.
Ender
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert

Postby misterf » Thu Feb 28, 2013 9:03 am

Trumbo is a solid player.....and he is a good value going significantly later than Bruce of Holliday.

But there is a reason those other guys are going earlier. Trumbo trails them both significantly in the "runs" category. And Trumbo will be far behing Holliday in batting avg. And while Bruce's avg. will also be in the .260-ish range, I think Bruce has a bit more power and should edge Trumbo in HR's and RBI's.

You also can't ignore that Holliday and Bruce have notably longer track records.....making them safer picks to live up to their projected stats.

While Trumbo might be a better "value" based on his ADP and auction price it would be a mistake to consider him as actually equal to Bruce or Holliday.....there is a reason those guys are ranked much higher (even if Trumbo is a bit too low in many rankings)
misterf
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 74)

Postby reiser » Thu Mar 07, 2013 9:11 am

rotoquest wrote:Bruce, Jay RF CIN 90RUNS, 36HR, 100RBI's, 9SB, 0.257BA (420 pts)
Holliday, Matt LF STL 90RUNS 25HR , 102RBI's, 4SB , 0.2955BA (384 pts)
Trumbo, Mark LF LAA 66RUNS, 32HR, 95RBI's, 4SB, 0.2684BA (360 pts)

where did you get those point totals?
reiser
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Ender » Thu Mar 07, 2013 9:54 am

The problem with just looking at last years numbers is well you are just looking at last years numbers. Trumbo had a BABIP inflated AVG and Bruce probably should have hit a bit higher than Trumbo just looking at batting eye etc. Bruce also will get more RBI this year with a healthy Votto ahead of him but probably fewer runs though with a productive Frazier he might repeat it. Trumbo also doesn't have a position anymore and if he gets stuck in the DH role I don't like him to repeat what he did last year since it will shave a little playing time off and players tend to do slightly worse as DHs.

Bruce has a stronger split than Trumbo which can be good and can be bad. If he improves on it you can easily see him surge in AVG where it is a lot harder for Trumbo to pull it off. If he collapses with his split though you end up with him losing playing time.
Ender
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert

Return to Baseball Leftovers