Contreras..how good can he be? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Contreras..how good can he be?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Contreras..how good can he be?

Postby Guest » Mon Apr 05, 2004 12:46 am

Could this be the year he finally lives up to the hype? Over the course of the second half last year and into the postseason, and now this spring, he's shown the flashes of brilliance that made him so highly touted. But can he remain consistent? He's certainly got the makings of a 20 game winner with 200K's. But I can also see him melting down and being a flop. Could go either way. Any thoughts?

Home Cafe: Football
Friendliness: %

Postby Kelly Gruber » Mon Apr 05, 2004 2:51 am

Surprise Cy Young candidate. This guy is awesome. I read somewhere last year that Posada has a difficult time catching for him because even he, sometimes, is fooled by the movement on his pitches. I took him in 2 out of the 3 pools I'm in (he was taken the pick before I was going to take him in my 3rd pool - how often does that happen!). He is a dominant strikeout pitcher on the YANKEES. Also, he is their 4th starter right now, so what kind of pitchers will he face? Not very good ones.

220IP 19W 5L 240K
An unanswered question is better than an unquestioned answer
Kelly Gruber
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Madison » Mon Apr 05, 2004 2:55 am

Kelly Gruber wrote:Also, he is their 4th starter right now, so what kind of pitchers will he face? Not very good ones.

220IP 19W 5L 240K

Common misconception. Rotation spot means diddly squat after the first week or two of the season due to off days. #1 starters do not only pitch against other team's #1 starters and #4's do not only pitch against other teams #4's.

I do agree that the return on Contreras could be very nice this year though. Plenty of offense behind him plus the k's. If he keeps his era/whip down, then very nice indeed.
Yes doctor, I am sick.
Sick of those who are spineless.
Sick of those who feel self-entitled.
Sick of those who are hypocrites.
Yes doctor, an army is forming.
Yes doctor, there will be a war.
Yes doctor, there will be blood.....
Madison
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

ExecutiveEditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)

Postby AcidRock23 » Mon Apr 05, 2004 9:01 am

I think that the 'real Contreras', who was the best pitcher in Cuba, is the one we'll be seeing this year and that his numbers SHOULD run towards what he got in September last year...3-0, 1.51 ERA, .95 WHIP, .173 BAA. I guess that might be a bit optimistic, simply b/c NO one throws that well for an extended period of time but I've heard nothing but good things about what he's been doing. No injuries, no screwups, etc. And, of course, he's on the Yankees so, even if his ERA gets above 4, he still might win 21 games, like Petite did!!
AcidRock23
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe WriterEagle Eye

Postby Pokeyouindaeye » Mon Apr 05, 2004 11:03 am

I'm thinking about trading contreras and sweeney for aubrey huff....

My pitching looks like

SP- Vazquez
SP- Oswalt
SP- Hudson
SP- Zito
SP- Santana
RP- Izzy
RP- Nathan
RP- Looper
P- T. Martin <---- League Counts Holds
P- Contreras
Bench- Urbina