SP draft strategy for streaming - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

SP draft strategy for streaming

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: SP draft strategy for streaming

Postby Maris09 » Wed Feb 27, 2013 1:11 am

I'd say get 1 or 2 stud SP's. Then the rest of your starters can be the best of the two-start pitchers each week, with some guys staying on while hot or those that breakout.
It sounds like you want to draft Kimbrel so go ahead I guess. :)
I probably wouldn't take a closer early in this type of league but it does follow the same rational as the get 1-2 stud SP's aspect.
Maris09
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafeholic
(Past Year: 8)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby kab21 » Wed Feb 27, 2013 11:22 am

Chaos151p wrote:
kab21 wrote:If you even want to have a chance in the ratios you will need to load up with pitchers earlier than the 10th rd.

Yea I was saying if you don't care about those 2 ratios, then load up on hitting because the streaming will increase the two wins-k's categories.

Like I said, if you want a 10-0 record, you'll have to draft better pitchers earlier, streaming will add starts but the quality needs to be better - unless you stream RP in those 4 pitcher slots when you don't have starts (or add limit is reached) just make sure relievers are always in adding scoreless innings to your week

I thought the original complaint was that he was putting up terrible ratios last year.

The problem with paying the premium for Kimbrel is that his great ratios get watered down with the massive innings you put up every week because of streaming. There is no doubt that Kimbrel would help a team but he has to be going in the top 50 because of dominance. I don't think that's worth it when you are getting 12-14 starts/wk. What you need is a few guys in the Greinke/Gallardo/Weaver/Cain level pitchers to anchor your staff.
kab21
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 170)

Postby Chaos151p » Wed Feb 27, 2013 11:57 am

kab21 wrote:I thought the original complaint was that he was putting up terrible ratios last year.

True, now that I think about it - we are talking about the best strategy to stream pitchers (and to win 10-0 every week). I may have added the "forget ratios" idea as an additional strategy, not exactly the best. If you did want to load up on hitting early, you could balance the poor ratios with more relievers (when starters aren't playing)... but your ratios would be better to start if you drafted better pitching. Since more owners are streaming, you have to be a hawk on the waiver wire - you might as well get a leg up and draft better starters, hope the other teams aren't streaming as well as you.

As far as Kimbrel goes, you have to take him early but he's not necessarily a waste - I mean he is the most dominant closer and you need to win saves each week, if you like him so much and you don't want to worry too much about closers, get the best one and add a few late ones to compliment him.
Chaos151p
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby kab21 » Wed Feb 27, 2013 1:43 pm

The problem is that we're talking about a likely top 50 pick. The fantasy draft is all about balancing out your roster. You need hitting studs to compete unless you purposely punt 1-2 cats. If you are streaming a lot then you need a lot of very good starters (innings) or else your ratios will get crushed.

I also am uneasy about Kimbrel. He throws really hard and he throws a lot of breaking balls. In the top 50 he's on my Do Not Draft list.
kab21
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 170)

Postby st3v3k4hn » Wed Feb 27, 2013 2:36 pm

OP here. I guess my real question is, should I really plan on streaming that much? It's a lot of fun, but it seems like you get Ws & Ks at the expense of ERA & Whip. And my league has a lot of bench spots (6) so many of the good streaming guys are rostered anyway. Maybe what I am saying is I would like to draft to win most pitching categories without streaming, knowing that if I fall behind on Wins and Ks I can at least try and stream for them. So how would you draft if thats the scenario? (BTW, I am in fact thinking of punting a hitting category so that I can focus more on pitching.)

You're nervous about Kimbrel? I'm more nervous about Kemp, Cargo, Tulo, Bautista and Hamilton, and they are all going in the first round or 2!
st3v3k4hn
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

(Past Year: 1)

Postby st3v3k4hn » Wed Feb 27, 2013 3:20 pm

Some context and history about why I'm even asking this. I didn't really plan to stream a lot last year but my picks mostly either sucked or got hurt.

SPs: Weaver (good), Lester (awful), Daniel Hudson (bad then injured), Garza (bad then injured), Morrow (ok then injured), Hellickson (shmeh), Ted Lilly (inj)

RPs: Betancourt (ok), Guerra (injured), Vernters (couldn't get true 3rd closer, most people had 3 to start, 1 guy took 5 closers)

OK, so I had either a terrible draft or got unlucky (or both). Point is I needed a lot of pitching help. Even so, with streaming (and good pickups on the wire plus a few trades) I won Wins and Ks most weeks. Managed to pick up some of the temp closer guys and ended up about even (.500) in SVs. Also ended up about even in ERA and WHIP. But it was an ugly, painful year for pitching for sure. Would love to avoid this scenario this year if at all possible!!!
st3v3k4hn
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

(Past Year: 1)

Postby Placenshow » Thu Feb 28, 2013 2:15 pm

How about for a 16 team mixed H2H league....would you utilize streaming or draft the best SP's available and hope for the best.

My thinking is the talent pool on the WW is going to be pretty thin.
Placenshow
Little League Legend
Little League Legend

Postby Chaos151p » Thu Feb 28, 2013 4:31 pm

Placenshow wrote:How about for a 16 team mixed H2H league....would you utilize streaming or draft the best SP's available and hope for the best. My thinking is the talent pool on the WW is going to be pretty thin.

You're right, a 16-teamer, the player pool is real thin and waivers is too, but there are still enough to make streaming possible - I might not stream to the max amount, but try to get an edge over my opponent by 2 or 3 starts. Definitely depends on who you draft and league scoring... I might stream more mid-relievers (if there isn't a limit on pickups), try to get as many scoreless innings in relief to lower the ratio categories - as long as you don't have starters going that day.
Chaos151p
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Previous

Return to Baseball Leftovers