Online draft prep- how do you draft - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Beginner's Forum

Online draft prep- how do you draft

Online draft prep- how do you draft

Postby KELLYLEAK » Mon Feb 25, 2013 7:08 pm

I'm relatively new to fantasy baseball. I'm going to be in an online league with time limits with some guys from college. Anyway, how do you rank your players and prepare when drafting. I'm not very tech savvy and looking for advice/tips to have a smooth draft.

1.) Do you go old school- using a pen and paper to rank the guys by position- circling who you've picked and crossing off who was taken. Is there enough time do that between picks?

2) Do you prerank your players on the website yahoo, espn. Is that secure?? For ex- can the commissoner see your rankings prior to the draft?

3) Do you just go with yahoo or espn's default rankings?

4. Do mocks really help or are they pretty much useless for reliably projecting when players will go?
KELLYLEAK Beginner
College Coach
College Coach

(Past Year: 10)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Online draft prep- how do you draft

Postby germani40 » Tue Feb 26, 2013 2:36 pm

Ive done it a couple ways. Most often I just go with the league site that we draft on because a lot of times guys go around their rank or ADP in that draft. A couple times I have copied and pasted these into an excel spreadsheet then went and ranked the guys myself and then found the difference between the 2. Guys who have a negative number (League ranking - My ranking) are guys I typically dont draft because they are supposed to go higher than I would take them and visa versa for guys with positive numbers. Easiest way is to just do some mocks and youll get a feel of where you would like to take guys and who is going way too early for you.
germani40
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 98)

Postby Chaos151p » Tue Feb 26, 2013 7:45 pm

I usually choose the projections I like the best, although they are pretty much all similar and about as accurate as a token card or crystal ball really are... just make sure you only use your league's scoring categories.

For the draft, I've done a few different styles over the years - but my favorite is sweet and simple. I just print out the tiers of players by position (usually on two sheets) and just player names and ranks, if you add stats you might as well print out a sheet per position and it starts to get confusing (in that case I would just update the CBS/Yahoo/ESPN rankings and use the PC only). But I like crossing guys off by pen, it's not too difficult and I get a nice view of how many players (in what tiers) are left at each position.

Also, if you print out sheets - you can mark who you like more, cross off guys you just don't like and won't draft (so you don't forget)... mark guys as injury risks, and underline your sleepers. If you want to add stats, maybe go with the longer paper so you can see homers/steals/etc if you absolutely need to see the stats (but less sheets the better).

In my roto league, the past few years I've kept track of all the teams rosters too - writing down and X'ing off a position as players are choosen... this way you see what position an owner needs that's drafting after you, but more importantly... if you can wait on a position. If you need a 1B and it's the 7th round let's say, and you've got your player all ready... but notice all the other teams have 1B drafted, you could pick another position and draft the 1B when it gets back to you. (same way if you like 3 players at 1B and only two owners after you need 1B, you can pick another position player and wait to pick the 3rd 1B you would settle for)
Chaos151p
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby Cream » Sun Mar 03, 2013 5:10 pm

If it's an online draft with 1:30 between picks, I generally rely on the draft software to track players. I add players that I've identified as targets into my draft queue throughout the draft. I like to have a few windows open with the cafe rankings, MDP thread, and maybe rotoworld or something of that sort so that I can get any last minute injury updates on players I'm thinking of drafting. I don't put much stock into the prerankings of yahoo/espn, but the mock drafts do help in getting a feel for where certain players may be drafted. I would suggest at least a few mocks prior to your draft.
Cream
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 23)

Postby pvhawkeye » Mon Mar 04, 2013 1:04 am

Thanks for the help on mine!
I would say the most important thing is to keep in mind your league scoring categories/system. My league is slightly different than the standard 5x5, so I usually will have to do a little shuffling from the standard ratings available from the numerous sources but not a whole lot. One big thing with our league is we do holds, so setup guys are way more valuable than the standard ratings you see everywhere that just count saves (they will rate the worst closer over the most elite holds man which can also greatly help in your ratios).
Especially if you do a live draft it's really important to do prerankings on your own, and I'd just throw them in excel as others have suggested. You can usually copy/paste directly from rotoworld/espn whatever into excel and then shuffle as needed. Make sure you do TIERS as well (spots where performances noticeably are better/worse)
pvhawkeye
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

(Past Year: 4)

Postby Chaos151p » Mon Mar 04, 2013 10:29 am

Good point on setup men, I'd even print out a closer report - all teams closers, next in line, sleeper, etc.

On the same note, I like to see where guys bat in the lineup - I don't think I'll print projected lineups this year, but maybe I'll mark their spot in the cheatsheet.
Chaos151p
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby 1bad28101 » Sat Mar 16, 2013 9:40 pm

First I put all the players in Tiers. Usually there is a obvious first/second tier. After I get that list then I go to projected line ups and mark on my Tiers sheets the batting/rotation positions. Then I usually make a mark if they are protected in a line up or not. I hope this helps. Good luck
1bad28101
Little League Legend
Little League Legend

Return to Beginner's Forum