2014 Commentary/Dicussion - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Killer Crossover Keeper League

2014 Commentary/Dicussion

Moderators: RedHopeful, silentjim, Baseball Moderators

Re: 2013 Commentary/Dicussion

Postby jphanned » Sun Mar 17, 2013 3:41 pm

The Thrill wrote:Yeah, I think we went through that discussion pretty in depth 2 offseasons ago. I personally don't think we should revisit, but I'm fine if I'm the minority there and everyone wants to reintroduce that discussion.

What were the Cliffnotes of the pros of keeping it?
Find me on Twitter
jphanned
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Basketball Mod
(Past Year: 21)
Home Cafe: Basketball

Postby mbuser » Sun Mar 17, 2013 3:53 pm

Keep in mind that we didn't vote to keep them before last season, we voted to add them before last season. The league was getting a bit stale so the majority voted to adjust the keeper settings (term limits) and the categories (expanding to 6x6). We replaced wins with QS and felt that holds was the best sixth category to add to keep balance between SP (QS, K, ERA, WHIP) and RP (SV, HLD, ERA, WHIP).
mbuser
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafeholic
(Past Year: 23)

Postby Laubster » Sun Mar 17, 2013 3:56 pm

mbuser wrote:Keep in mind that we didn't vote to keep them before last season, we voted to add them before last season. The league was getting a bit stale so the majority voted to adjust the keeper settings (term limits) and the categories (expanding to 6x6). We replaced wins with QS and felt that holds was the best sixth category to add to keep balance between SP (QS, K, ERA, WHIP) and RP (SV, HLD, ERA, WHIP).

Well said
Laubster
College Coach
College Coach

(Past Year: 76)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby jphanned » Sun Mar 17, 2013 4:37 pm

For me though, here's the thing: why does there need to be a "balance" between SP and RP's? The main distinction here is between hitters and pitchers. As long as there are equal categories among the two I'm good.

It's not like you're boosting the value of a Kimbrel or Chapman either by adding K/9. All holds does is give relevance to irrelevant setup men - it's like extra added fat. It's as if we're trying to balance between guards and bigs in hoops by requiring managers draft backup bigs, so Taj Gibson and Speights find their way on rosters.

If you're trying to balance SP and RP, holds isn't really the way to do it. Closers are still being drafted way later than SP's. Instead of propping up the value of RP's, holds just expands the player pool to include otherwise irrelevant players (who will be drafted in the last couple rounds).
Find me on Twitter
jphanned
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Basketball Mod
(Past Year: 21)

Postby mbuser » Sun Mar 17, 2013 4:42 pm

Adding holds gives relevance to relevant setup men, not just irrelevant ones. Adding K/9 creates redundancy with the K category, and I think the difficulty finding another sixth pitching category that didn't create redundancy was part of the reason we decided on holds.
Last edited by mbuser on Sun Mar 17, 2013 4:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mbuser
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafeholic

Postby silentjim » Sun Mar 17, 2013 4:51 pm

Like any draft there are runs on positions and stats. I think because this is a keeper league saves guys and holds guys aren't really as highly regarded because of the volatility that comes at those positions. It doesn't mean they're necessarily worth less. Only one closer was kept too, does that mean we should chuck saves?

I think to some extent to a side point, we were trying to increase the player pool too. More turnover, more free agent options, more chances to rebound from year to year. So far I have to say that as shocking as some picks have been to me (keep in mind I'm no baseball expert) I really liked how this season's redraft has gone as far as value available (and this is coming from the guy who had Beltre and Castro on his team).
silentjim
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Basketball Mod
(Past Year: 76)

Postby mbuser » Sun Mar 17, 2013 4:54 pm

Yeah, that's a good point. To be honest, few MR going off the board to this point completely matches my expectations.
mbuser
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafeholic

Postby Fenris-77 » Sun Mar 17, 2013 6:32 pm

Holds are wildly unpredictable from year to year, which is why I normally wait until closer to the end of the draft to address them. I do like the balance in the pitching categories, but the main reason I like Holds is because it adds a lot of depth to the waiver pool during the season. More waiver activity is always better IMO.
Fenris-77
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 51)

Postby RedHopeful » Sun Mar 17, 2013 10:04 pm

mbuser wrote:Adding holds gives relevance to relevant setup men, not just irrelevant ones. Adding K/9 creates redundancy with the K category, and I think the difficulty finding another sixth pitching category that didn't create redundancy was part of the reason we decided on holds.

Yep. I remember many of us just kind of agreeing to the holds w/o much fanfare.

That said Justin, I don't think you'll find it problematic. I remember last year trying to balance the hell out of the two categories + having enough relievers w/o screwing up the rest of the roster. I found that I welcomed the more avenues of strategy than hoping to be online all the time when some new closer news broke, like in years past.

EDIT: Hey you dopey Texan (no not you David):

RedHopeful
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicBasketball ModPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 84)

Postby RedHopeful » Mon Mar 18, 2013 5:28 pm

silentjim wrote:Guys we're on a decent pace, but lets look at PMing picks as we move forward since managers might be targeting positions or something that might make it a bit easier moving forward. We basically need to get through 9-10 rounds in two weeks and we've gotten though 4-5 in a week. It'd be nice to have some wiggle room though. ;-D

O:-) ;-D
RedHopeful
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicBasketball ModPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 84)

PreviousNext

Return to Killer Crossover Keeper League