Will People Pay More for Hometown Players? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Will People Pay More for Hometown Players?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Will People Pay More for Hometown Players?

Postby lambo1203 » Sun Feb 24, 2013 11:47 pm

I'm intrigued by the idea of taking a player you know others covet earlier than you should only to use them as trade bait for those who will overpay to have their favorite player on their team. Anyone have any success/horror stories regarding this?

EXAMPLE: I'm in an 8-team league with a group of friends, all of us are from Pittsburgh. The entire league covets McCutchen and will basically do anything for him. Also, another player worships (and I mean that literally) Albert Pujols. I'm wondering if I should draft either of them with my first pick and then try to trade them to a team that'll pay ridiculous amounts of players to get them. This could happen again later in the draft with other players as well.
Image Thanks to GiantsFan14 for the sig
lambo1203
College Coach
College Coach

(Past Year: 26)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Will People Pay More for Hometown Players?

Postby SecretAgentMan » Mon Feb 25, 2013 12:03 am

It is a really bad idea. You are employing a strategy that relies on the stupidity of another owner in the league. And if you do not find that moron willing to overpay, guess what...you end up being the one who suffers. Draft your team beased on your needs.
SecretAgentMan
General Manager
General Manager

Response TeamFantasy Expert
(Past Year: 671)

Postby Izenhart » Mon Feb 25, 2013 12:30 am

IMO its really not a bad idea. I can get a better read on my hometown Red Sox than the average fantasy fan. Last year I was first to the WW for Will Middlebrooks and first to cut Jon Lester from my teams. As far as overpaying goes I see David Ortiz as a player who can still hit with the best of them, and I am confidant he will be ready to go full 'speed' in early April. Pedrioa batting third is also intriguing and he could put up 1st round numbers if Ellsbury, Ortiz, Napoli and co can stay healthy for 80% of the year. I do plan on having these guys on my teams this year if I can, they are determined to show last year was an aberration, and Napoli is out to prove he can be a healthy asset at 1B. Ellsbury is the only one that I think people still overrate. I wouldn't expect any more than a dozen home runs from him and his speed hasn't been the same since his last injury. Should score a buttload of runs though.

edit:
As far as overreaching to get someone you love, let them do it, but i wouldn't reach for a guy just for trade bait for later. They open the door for you to make a better team. I did a snake draft the other day and got Braun at #4 because someone wanted to use a #2 pick on Verlander.
Izenhart
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 301)

Postby kab21 » Mon Feb 25, 2013 1:37 pm

Drafting to trade sounds like a terrible idea. Too many variables to work out when making deals.

In the mid rds I'll let the hometown factor break ties because I enjoy cheering for favorite players on my fantasy team. This is even more true when picking up obscure prospects in a really deep dynasty league. I'm pretty sure I can justify keeping Jorge Polanco...
kab21
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 181)

Postby Ender » Mon Feb 25, 2013 2:16 pm

I end up drafting low end Brewers more than other teams since I can identify the ones I like more. I certainly would never pay more for them in trade though.

I'm currently in 3 drafts and have 1 Brewer on my team so far and that was Gallardo. I know the trick with him too, just don't let him pitch vs the Cardinals or in Coors. Turns him from a mid 3 ERA pitcher to a low 3 ERA pitcher. It is a pretty slippery slope hoping that someone else likes a player so much that they will overpay to get them.
Last edited by Ender on Mon Feb 25, 2013 3:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ender
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert

Postby fast dogs » Mon Feb 25, 2013 3:27 pm

maybe that works for some leagues, not most. I wouldn't be going much off the ADP; especially in a tiny league
fast dogs
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicResponse TeamMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 319)

Postby silverZ » Mon Feb 25, 2013 4:59 pm

Drafting with the intention to trade always runs the risk that other people are blowing smoke up your ass so you'll pass on a better player. If I had 4th overall pick and you had 1st I would gladly mess with your head to try and get you to take Cutch so I can grab one of the big 3.
Here's the pitch on the way, a swing and a belt! Left field! Way back! BLUE JAYS WIN!
silverZ
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 74)

Return to Baseball Leftovers