Jurickson Profar's Value in 2013... and Beyond! - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Jurickson Profar's Value in 2013... and Beyond!

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Jurickson Profar's Value in 2013... and Beyond!

Postby Metropolitans » Sun Feb 24, 2013 4:24 pm

So we all know that the super talented 19 year old "future superstar" Jurickson Profar is one of the Top 3 prospects in all of Fantasy Baseball. Arguably #1 with Wil Myers as #1A but in the Fantasy World, Profars potential SS/2B value is a HUGE Boost to his overall value, plus hitting in Texas with their lineup and home stadium helps A LOT, etc etc...

But the question is, what is his Value for THIS season, 2013?

Currently, he's blocked with Andrus and Kinsler... but I've read things suggesting trying Kinsler at other positions to make way for Profar. But barring injury, its a tough road right now. Trout was blocked by 4 OFers when 2012 started and he eventually made his way to the bigs, paying his investors HUGE dividends. Now I don't think Profar will be Trout-esque but he "could be" another Hanley Ramirez-type of Middle Infielder. Were talking a raw, yet super talented MI with Power & Speed. He doesn't have Trout's Power or Speed, but his position scarcity makes him a guy we will be drafting in the 1st, 2nd, or 3rd Rounds as soon as 2014.

What do ya think his value is in Keepers? He's a "Must Keep" in all Keepers, no? Especially considering hell only cost his investors a mid-20th round pick. Despite his ambiguous role currently, he could adopt either 2nd Base and/or SS eligibility, if BOTH, he's got MONSTER value for 2013 and the Future. Even if he's a "Waste" for a month or 2 in 2013, you could have a bonafide stud at the MI positions for years to come, at a Super CHEAP Price. I think hell payoff as soon as early 2013 but even if he does rot on your bench for a half season, he's VERY worth the stash in virtually ANY Keeper Format, IMHO.

I know he doesn't have a position right now in Yahoo! leagues but once he comes to the Bigs, whether that be outta spring training or a month or two into the season, his position will undoubtedly be of the MI variety, probably 2nd Base but possibly SS... and maybe, just maybe Both 2B/SS.

Anyone who Owned Mike Trout or Bryce Harper is definitely still drinking the "rookie-hype" Kool-Aid so I try my best not to get too caught up in what happened 'last year', because ultimately, that means absolutely Nothing. But with that said, the "ELITE Prospects" are always looked at in a different light for me. The only other hitting prospects im 100% targeting are Profar and Wil Myers. There are definitely many others that im gonna take a flyer on (such as Oscar Taveras, Billy Hamilton, Travis d'Arnaud, many more, just naming a few) .... but these 2 guys to me (Myers/Profar) are definitely gonna pay off on my late round investments, and in Keepers, Profar n Myers are "Must Keeps" IMO.

What say the Café???
14Team-Keeper
C Gattis
1B Votto
2B NFranklin
3B Frazier
SS Zobrist
OF Trout
OF Elsbury
OF Puig
Ut Crawford,Morales
BN LMartin,RMartin,Profar
SP Stras
SP Scherzer
RP Veras
RP Parnel
P Kimbrel
P Fernandez
P Archer
BN Turner,Nolasco,Gee,Pineda
DL Wandy
Metropolitans
College Coach
College Coach

(Past Year: 1)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Jurickson Profar's Value in 2013... and Beyond!

Postby Ender » Sun Feb 24, 2013 4:27 pm

I don't think he has much if any value in a redraft league personally. Late round flier if you have a good bench. If he plays full time he is likely more of a tweener than anything. 15 HR, 15 SB type of guy. Trout was so worth going after last year because he had an elite skill in the speed and then you got a ton of HR as gravy :).
Ender
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert

Postby Skin Blues » Sun Feb 24, 2013 5:33 pm

For 2013 I don't see a whole lot of value. He's not going to do much in terms of average, or power, and his playing time is very questionable. Not an elite speed guy, either. I can't see the Rangers handing him the 2B job to start the season instead of spending a couple months in the minors. If for whatever reason they do let him start the season on the active roster, his value obviously gets a boost, probably to Jimmy Rollins territory. His upside is obviously higher than Rollins though, it's just doubtful he reaches it right away, and there's also the possibility of completely tanking.
Skin Blues
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: 113)

Postby Metropolitans » Sun Feb 24, 2013 5:39 pm

Ender wrote:I don't think he has much if any value in a redraft league personally. Late round flier if you have a good bench. If he plays full time he is likely more of a tweener than anything. 15 HR, 15 SB type of guy. Trout was so worth going after last year because he had an elite skill in the speed and then you got a ton of HR as gravy :).

I hate to keep comparing him to Trout because IMO, no one is comparable to Trout or what he did last season. But with that said, if I can land a 15/15 MI in the mid-20 rounds, that's amazing value. Speaking about Trout, I projected him to have solid speed and solid power initially and I figured those 'tools' would develop into more as he matured but I didn't think he had "THAT" much speed or power this soon... I was thinkin 15-32ish last year on Trout.

For me, when I consider the position eligibility that Profar figures to have, he's a must-own late flyer. Especially with his speed & power combo... he's got 'young-Hanley' kinda upside at 2B and/or SS, if that doesn't scream late-round flyer, I have no idea what does
14Team-Keeper
C Gattis
1B Votto
2B NFranklin
3B Frazier
SS Zobrist
OF Trout
OF Elsbury
OF Puig
Ut Crawford,Morales
BN LMartin,RMartin,Profar
SP Stras
SP Scherzer
RP Veras
RP Parnel
P Kimbrel
P Fernandez
P Archer
BN Turner,Nolasco,Gee,Pineda
DL Wandy
Metropolitans
College Coach
College Coach

(Past Year: 1)

Postby MaudDib » Sun Feb 24, 2013 6:37 pm

I hate owning these kind of guys in redraft leagues. You kill a roster spot for an undetermined amount of time. Very few of them then turn out to be worth rostering. I will let someone else have him and use that roster spot to stream pitchers or help with injuries. Granted I will miss out on a Trout type player every once in a while but I just don't think it is worth it.
"In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move."- Douglas Adams

MaudDib
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicResponse TeamCafe WriterCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 380)

Postby Ender » Sun Feb 24, 2013 7:15 pm

Well trout had elite speed, the power was just the surprise.

Yeah if you are taking Profar in like round 20 I'm cool with it as a complete upside pick. It is the people taking him 15th round and earlier I don't care for. I expect him to either play most days or be sent down though. You don't use someone like him as a utility player if they aren't getting in the lineup every day.
Ender
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert

Postby Padsin05 » Tue Feb 26, 2013 10:41 pm

Profar can run a little, but hes not elite speed or even a basestealer. Id rather just roster a guy in my daily league like Bonaficio who I can plug in at a couple different positions when hes in the lineup.

Even if he had a starting gig, I couldnt justify taking him in the first 15 rounds
Padsin05
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 12)

Postby Ender » Tue Feb 26, 2013 11:17 pm

I hate to keep comparing him to Trout because IMO, no one is comparable to Trout or what he did last season. But with that said, if I can land a 15/15 MI in the mid-20 rounds

Sure but that is his upside to me. So if everything goes well he is a 15/15 guy. If it doesn't he is in the minors most of the year. That really doesn't have a ton of value. In the 20th round you can get a better guy than that in a redraft.
Ender
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert

Postby kab21 » Wed Feb 27, 2013 1:11 pm

I usually like to grab a top prospect that has a chance to get called up fairly early in the season. I think I had Longoria and Posey during their rookie seasons and it's nice to get that boost from the bench. Right now Profar is not that guy because I think he's going too high. I wouldn't want to pay with a top 15 rd pick for the privilege to tie up a bench spot for a significant amount of time. Myers or Taveras seem about right to me if they can fall to the end of the draft. Possibly Bogaerts but I think he struggles if called up this season. A little too young.
kab21
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 166)

Return to Baseball Leftovers