Top or Value? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Draft, Trade, Keeper and Waivers Questions

Top or Value?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Top or Value?

Postby poincarecon » Sat Feb 23, 2013 11:52 am

Thinking about keeping most of my top guys for my four keeper league (12 teams), but have some value picks that could sub for them. Starting with the following at the moment: Tulowitzki (1), Verlander (2), Wright (3) and my one value guy V. Martinez (20). But have some additional low draft value that could get slotted in, like Zobrist (9) and Scherzer (12).

[Edit: As the next post nots, I left my question out, which makes it quite a bit more confusing than it should be. I think the first three are reasonably ranked, and are a good core for both the hitting and pitching side, but I would guess on draft day I could get similar value in the same rounds. So I'm curious whether it is worth slotting in either the other two for the top three, hoping for good "undervalue." And thanks to the the poster for the heads up on the confusion.]
Last edited by poincarecon on Sat Feb 23, 2013 12:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
poincarecon
Little League Legend
Little League Legend

Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Top or Value?

Postby RDD15 » Sat Feb 23, 2013 12:41 pm

You never asked a question.

I would keep Verlander and Wright for sure. The pick given up for them is where i would expect to draft them. Martinez probably as well. Not sure about Tulo, it kinda depends on where the guys I have above him can be kept, but I see Tulo as a mid to late 2nd rounder, so I would need a good reason to keep him for a 1st rounder.
RDD15
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Cafe Writer

Postby misterf » Sat Feb 23, 2013 1:25 pm

Verlander and wright for sure.

I actually agree with you to keep Tulo. I have him as a high 2nd rounder due to the injury history....but he has top-5 upside for sure. And he fills a scarce position. I really don't think you could improve much over Tulo in the draft. I would also keep him even though it isn't great value. (who would complain if they finished the 1st three rounds of a draft with Tulo, Wright and Verlander?)

I disagree with Martinez. A 20th round pick is good value for him.....but in most leagues he loses catcher eligibility....and he might not get it back. That really hurts his overall value. And since both Zobrist and Scherzer are also good bargains, I would go with one of those guys. I just think they are much safer picks that can be had at excellent value.

Personally, I would go with Zobrist. Hard to go wrong with a 20/15 guy who is eligible at 3 positions, including the scarce 2b and ss. Plus, when in doubt, I prefer to go with hitters over pitchers....especially since you are already keeping 1 pitcher in Verlander.

Note: if other posters talk you out of keeping Tulo (which is reasonable....even if I don'r completely agree) I would then add Scherzer to replace Tulo. Verlander and Scherzer would be a heck of a 1-2 punch.

In short:

I would keep Wright, Verlander and Zobrist for sure.
I would also keep Tulo.......(but if you decide against, Tulo, I would go with Scherzer).

I think Martinez is the worst option.....and I would let somebody else take a risk on him.

help with mine?

http://www.fantasybaseballcafe.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=454983
misterf
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 74)

Postby MadDog36 » Sat Feb 23, 2013 3:54 pm

Yes Vmart is past his prime, let him go.
Verlander SP
Wright 3b
Tulo SS
Zobrist 2b works
Join My Roto Keeper League:
viewtopic.php?t=466433
MadDog36
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicResponse Team LeaderFantasy Expert
(Past Year: 1931)

Postby wildcatbandit525 » Sat Feb 23, 2013 8:18 pm

MadDog36 wrote:Yes Vmart is past his prime, let him go.
Verlander SP
Wright 3b
Tulo SS
Zobrist 2b works

;-D
wildcatbandit525
College Coach
College Coach

Postby kidsilk » Sat Feb 23, 2013 11:26 pm

wildcatbandit525 wrote:
MadDog36 wrote:Yes Vmart is past his prime, let him go.
Verlander SP
Wright 3b
Tulo SS
Zobrist 2b works

;-D

I also agree with these guys.

please help and read my last post if you can. Thanks.

viewtopic.php?t=454718
Kidsilk
kidsilk
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicResponse TeamFantasy Expert
(Past Year: 1212)

Return to Draft, Trade, Keeper and Waivers Questions