2013 Median Draft Position (MDP) - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

2013 Median Draft Position (MDP)

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: 2013 Median Draft Position (MDP)

Postby SpecialFNK » Mon Feb 25, 2013 4:59 pm

rookies and cream wrote:
SpecialFNK wrote:is there a way to get the positions on there? and maybe a way to separate them to sort all the specific positions together? like all the 1B, then all the 2B, ect.

The problem is that there are so many guys who are eligible at multiple positions, which makes sorting extremely difficult. That's why I didn't do it this year.

still much appreciated.
SpecialFNK
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicFantasy Expert
(Past Year: 102)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Curtis Pride » Fri Mar 01, 2013 12:41 pm

some odd goings on in MDP land still. Lots of misvaluations as I see it.

I still think Craig and Goldschmidt are going way too early
Curtis Pride
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 3)

Postby Ender » Fri Mar 01, 2013 1:52 pm

Curtis Pride wrote:some odd goings on in MDP land still. Lots of misvaluations as I see it.

There are a lot of guys who just draft for potential and that is usually the type that takes these guys in the 2nd round pushing up their ADPs. These guys lose most of their leagues but when they do hit they finish in 1st a lot and get to brag about it and pretend it was their only league~. I'm more of a always try to place in the top 5 and you'll hit enough later that you'll win a lot of leagues too.
Ender
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert

Postby jlm53089 » Sat Mar 02, 2013 12:55 am

Buster Posey at 11 seem crazy to anybody else?
jlm53089
General Manager
General Manager

Pick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 3)

Postby GiantsFan14 » Sat Mar 02, 2013 1:03 am

jlm53089 wrote:Buster Posey at 11 seem crazy to anybody else?

Yup.
@FBC_GiantsFan14 on Twitter
GiantsFan14
Baseball Scribe
Baseball Scribe

EditorCafeholicResponse TeamCafe WriterGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 452)

Postby j24jags » Sat Mar 02, 2013 8:12 pm

Ender wrote:
Curtis Pride wrote:some odd goings on in MDP land still. Lots of misvaluations as I see it.

There are a lot of guys who just draft for potential and that is usually the type that takes these guys in the 2nd round pushing up their ADPs. These guys lose most of their leagues but when they do hit they finish in 1st a lot and get to brag about it and pretend it was their only league~. I'm more of a always try to place in the top 5 and you'll hit enough later that you'll win a lot of leagues too.

As one of the guys who took Goldschmidt very early (in the Masters league), I feel obligated to defend it here. It definitely is an upside pick, but to win leagues you have to take some high-upside guys.

In 2010, he hit 35 homers. In 2011, he hit 38. Last year he took a big step in learning to hit major league pitching after struggling a bit in his first taste of the majors in late 2011. He was a .315+ hitter in every level of the minors. He also adds some speed which most people may overlook/forget. I realize his BABIP was a little higher last year, but I still think he can be a .285+ hitter who approaches 30+ homers & 15+ steals. His 18 steals last year may have been somewhat of a fluke, but he was only caught three times so it's not unreasonable to think he'll continue to get the green light. He also plays in a great hitter's park.
j24jags
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)

Postby Ender » Sat Mar 02, 2013 9:46 pm

I still think he can be a .285+ hitter who approaches 30+ homers & 15+ steals

I think he can be too. I also think he can hit .250 with 25 HR and the SB can drop to 10. The range of outcomes is very very wide. Remember less than a year ago they were routinely starting Overbay over him since he couldn't hit righties. He had a BABIP inflated .739 OPS vs RHP last year, there is a ton of risk with him. Goldschmidt at 50 isn't a big reach to me. Taking him 32 means he absolutely has to break out to make the pick worth it and that is the type of pick I don't really care for early.
Ender
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert

Postby OBPlover » Sat Mar 02, 2013 11:47 pm

Ender wrote:
I still think he can be a .285+ hitter who approaches 30+ homers & 15+ steals

I think he can be too. I also think he can hit .250 with 25 HR and the SB can drop to 10. The range of outcomes is very very wide. Remember less than a year ago they were routinely starting Overbay over him since he couldn't hit righties. He had a BABIP inflated .739 OPS vs RHP last year, there is a ton of risk with him. Goldschmidt at 50 isn't a big reach to me. Taking him 32 means he absolutely has to break out to make the pick worth it and that is the type of pick I don't really care for early.

Last year, there was another trendy pick First baseman who had a breakout year the previous year and was exciting because he also stole the odd base, setting no end to his potential fantasy value. And he too, was grabbed early innearly every league.

you know the old saying about "those who forget the past are doomed to repeat it".

I agree. Why reach for Goldy too early? There's a lot of reasonable late round 1B veteran bargains.
OBPlover
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 126)

Postby jk.hay30 » Sun Mar 03, 2013 10:40 am

I deleted my last post because I thought the tiered part had been updated, but I see now that it's 2012 data.... Any idea when the tiered ADP position by position data will be out?
jk.hay30
Little League Legend
Little League Legend

Postby rookies and cream » Sun Mar 03, 2013 2:05 pm

Next MDP update will have tiers column that will sortable like the rest of the columns. Not doing a separate tier tab this year.
rookies and cream
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterWeb Supporter
(Past Year: 43)

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers