2013 Median Draft Position (MDP) - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

2013 Median Draft Position (MDP)

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

2013 Median Draft Position (MDP)

Postby rookies and cream » Fri Feb 22, 2013 8:04 pm

Hello Everyone.

Here's version 3.0 of the MDP list.

For those of you that are new around here, the MDP list is a compilation of ADP's from various sites. It can be used as a tool to approximate where players will be drafted. In the end, ADP's from Yahoo, ESPN, CBS, Mock Draft Central, Couch Managers, and NFBC will be accounted for in the report. I have also incorporated drafts from the cafe as well. Special thanks to Mock Draft Central and Couchmanagers for providing me with their data again this year. Note: I decided to use the median rather than mean (average) statistic, because it is less affected by extreme outliers. As many of you have probably noticed, ADP's tend to be very different between sites because they are highly dependent on their own ranking systems.

Here is the link to the MDP spreadsheet: http://spreadsheets.google.com/ccc?key= ... 5SkE&hl=en
Sortable version: http://spreadsheets.google.com/lv?key=0 ... 5SkE&hl=en

As you guys can probably tell, a lot of time goes into the constant updating of the MDP list each preseason. I expect to update the list once more in February and probably weekly as we get closer to opening day. I set up a paypal donations account again this year and if you would like to contribute something, please click here. Your donations are much appreciated!!
Last edited by rookies and cream on Sat Mar 16, 2013 1:04 am, edited 2 times in total.
rookies and cream
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterWeb Supporter
(Past Year: 45)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: 2013 Median Draft Position (MDP)

Postby rotoquest » Fri Feb 22, 2013 8:21 pm

Thanks for getting it going again Rookies. Another reason why the cafe is a great place to hang out. ;-D
rotoquest
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafe Ranker
(Past Year: 194)

Postby Izenhart » Sat Feb 23, 2013 1:12 am

awesome ;-D Hamilton @16 makes him look like a steal in round 3 of the LABR draft. http://www.rtsports.com/LABR-Mixed-Draft
Izenhart
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 286)

Postby Ender » Sat Feb 23, 2013 1:24 am

Ok here are my players I will never own in the top 100 using this list.

1. Miguel Cabrera
2. Mike Trout
7. A. McCutchen
11. B. Posey
12-14. Pitchers
32. A. Jones
42. C. Headley
52. G. Gonzalez
57. J. Mauer
60. C. Santana
65. C. Sale
76. K. Medlen
77. E. Andrus
78. W. Rosario
82. P. Sandoval
85. A. Rizzo
87. R. Halladay
97. A. Jackson

Players i consider must haves at those MDP

3. R. Braun - Easy #1.
23. J. Upton - late 1st round
25. D. Pedroia - late 1st, early 2nd. Most underrated player in first 2 rounds.
90. Y. Gallardo - Like him better than the 4 or 5 SP ahead of him, just sit him vs STL.
Ender
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert

Postby AKhomebrewer » Sat Feb 23, 2013 4:17 am

A. Sweet effort as always, Rooks ... my Paypal people will be talking to your Paypal people again this spring, I reckon. Beats buying a mag that went to press in Jan.

B. I find my views rather synchronous with those of Ender ... not sure if that's a good thing. :-o
• Aaron Hill: Avoids DL Jul 12 (RotoWire)
• Aaron Hill: Headed for DL Jul 12 (RotoWire)
AKhomebrewer
General Manager
General Manager

Cafeholic

Postby jcook3127 » Sat Feb 23, 2013 6:21 pm

Ender wrote:Ok here are my players I will never own in the top 100 using this list.

1. Miguel Cabrera
2. Mike Trout
7. A. McCutchen
11. B. Posey
12-14. Pitchers
32. A. Jones
42. C. Headley
52. G. Gonzalez
57. J. Mauer
60. C. Santana
65. C. Sale
76. K. Medlen
77. E. Andrus
78. W. Rosario
82. P. Sandoval
85. A. Rizzo
87. R. Halladay
97. A. Jackson

Players i consider must haves at those MDP

3. R. Braun - Easy #1.
23. J. Upton - late 1st round
25. D. Pedroia - late 1st, early 2nd. Most underrated player in first 2 rounds.
90. Y. Gallardo - Like him better than the 4 or 5 SP ahead of him, just sit him vs STL.

I agree with almost all of this...however, I think Halladay at 87 is pretty damn good and would definitely consider him there...Halladay over Gallardo is definitely a bet I'd take for a re-draft 10 out of 10 times...

That's about it though....other than that, I guess I'd just like to emphasize that while McCutchen at 7 is a bit over the top, I still like him more than Upton and consider him a true first rounder
Why don't they just get a house that's already painted?
jcook3127
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby SpecialFNK » Sat Feb 23, 2013 6:37 pm

this is awesome, much appreciated by many.
I wanted to ask about something that I think I was confused about. what are the high and low?
Will Middlebrooks for example. his high says 106.10 and his low says 160. as long as my calculations are correct for a 12 round draft, 106 is in round 7 and 160 is round 14. the MDP is round 13. but that's a good difference from 7 to 13/14.

I'm new to auction, but I assume to dollar value on the end is auction value.
SpecialFNK
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert
(Past Year: 77)

Postby Ender » Sat Feb 23, 2013 8:02 pm

Halladay over Gallardo is definitely a bet I'd take for a re-draft 10 out of 10 times...

I would definitely take the Gallardo side. No risk, just as much upside if he ever takes that next step and much more of a K guy. Gallardo has been a stud the past few years if you sit him against STL who destroy him for some reason.
Ender
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert

Postby OBPlover » Sat Feb 23, 2013 8:43 pm

Maybe a side issue but I'm kind of uncomfortable with Matt Kemp as a top 7 pick. I wouldn't reach for him.

After experiencing injury issues that cost him a few months last season and coming back and not really even attempting to steal bases. Well he's no longer a 5 category player most likely. Now you know from the drubbing I took last year saying how overrated Strikeouts are for just about anything fantasy related.. but that high strikeout rate + a pitcher's park + an inability to beat out infield hits ..can you still rely on a .300 + average?

Combined that with the nature of his injuries being of the type known to re-occur. He's a high risk pick. I'd be relieved if I had a draft pick at like 8 or 9th and he went ahead of me.
OBPlover
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 118)

Postby rotoquest » Sat Feb 23, 2013 9:05 pm

OBPlover wrote:Maybe a side issue but I'm kind of uncomfortable with Matt Kemp as a top 7 pick. I wouldn't reach for him.

After experiencing injury issues that cost him a few months last season and coming back and not really even attempting to steal bases. Well he's no longer a 5 category player most likely. Now you know from the drubbing I took last year saying how overrated Strikeouts are for just about anything fantasy related.. but that high strikeout rate + a pitcher's park + an inability to beat out infield hits ..can you still rely on a .300 + average?

Combined that with the nature of his injuries being of the type known to re-occur. He's a high risk pick. I'd be relieved if I had a draft pick at like 8 or 9th and he went ahead of me.

Yeah, all that and this...
Dodgers skipper Don Mattingly said Friday that Matt Kemp won't play in any Cactus League games until at least early March.
Kemp admitted last week that he had only taken batting practice three times since undergoing surgery on his left shoulder in October. The Dodgers will play it safe and ease him back into action, but he's fully expected to be ready to go for Opening Day.

:-o :-o :-o
rotoquest
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafe Ranker
(Past Year: 194)

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers