Keeper Help!! - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Draft, Trade, Keeper and Waivers Questions

Keeper Help!!

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Keeper Help!!

Postby BraveNation » Fri Feb 22, 2013 11:26 am

I am in a 12 team keeper league, standard 5x5 scoring Head to Head style. we get 8 keepers, no penalties or anything on who we keep.

So far I have know for sure i will be keeping: Strasburg, Gallardo, Cano, Hosmer, D. Wright and Zobrist. I need two more between

Berkman, Pagan, McCann, Swisher, Garza, Kuroda, A. Sanchez. I also have brandon beachy but cant see why i would keep him as i could get him later and stash him in a dl slot if needed.

Another question..I took second to last, last year because i had a slew of injuries and my team just underperformed. I was thinking about taking Will Meyers with my first pick, which would essentially be in the 9th round. My reason is that i dont have a true keeper for my outfield and he has potential to be a real stud, especially in keeper league..justified taking him that early if i am trying to rebuild my team?

thank for your help! i need it
BraveNation
Little League Legend
Little League Legend

Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Keeper Help!!

Postby lambo1203 » Fri Feb 22, 2013 11:43 am

That's a tough list of people to pick from...do you have to keep any of them? Or if you only keep six, can you move higher in the draft? If I had to choose from those, I'd go Anibal #1 and Garza/Kuroda #2, even though that'd already give you 4 pitchers.

I'll be first to admit, I haven't studied the prospects much so I'll just give you general advice regarding Myers. If there aren't any young standouts, I don't see any harm in taking him. You've gotta build for both now and the future, so why not take the future with your first pick then focus on building players around him that have potential for both this year and in years to come. If you take him first and your team is doing well, you can always use him as trade bait for that last player to help you win now. And if not, you've got your star prospect for years to come.

Mine: viewtopic.php?f=26&t=454942
Image Thanks to GiantsFan14 for the sig
lambo1203
College Coach
College Coach

(Past Year: 26)

Postby BraveNation » Fri Feb 22, 2013 12:06 pm

Thanks, it is a hard list to choose from especially since I have had McCann as a keeper for past 3 years, but i just dont think he is worthy of a keeper pick at this point.
BraveNation
Little League Legend
Little League Legend

Postby lambo1203 » Fri Feb 22, 2013 12:20 pm

Yeah he's struggled too much to be considered as a keeper, and being a catcher doesn't help his case. It sounds like you're a big Braves fan so I know it's hard not to keep him, but if you're set on having him back, you should be able to get him in the late rounds of your draft.
Image Thanks to GiantsFan14 for the sig
lambo1203
College Coach
College Coach

(Past Year: 26)

Postby Brainstorm » Fri Feb 22, 2013 1:20 pm

I would go Anibal and Swisher as your last 2. The pickings are slim.

I wouldn't advocate Myers as your first pick for a few reasons. First, with only 8 keepers per team, you can absolutely get a player to help you this year that still has keeper value down the road in the outfield in your draft. There's no reason to panic that you don't have a top prospect for the OF, especially considering the keeper size. And if you HAD to get one, I'd prefer Oscar Taveras. They're both close to the majors and Taveras is thought of as a better hitter than Myers. There are some who are divided on Myers, while none seem to be on Taveras. I also think you can get one or both of these guys later than your first pick.
Brainstorm
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Response Team
(Past Year: 249)

Return to Draft, Trade, Keeper and Waivers Questions