Not my guys season 2! - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Not my guys season 2!

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: Not my guys season 2!

Postby Ender » Tue Feb 26, 2013 4:31 pm

Yeah but it always seems at least one of those elite pitchers drop and if they don't I just take two pitchers in the 5th/6th round. It isn't really hard to get 2 solid pitchers given the depth this year. Pitchers are somewhat at the mercy of BABIP, their RP for ERA and W's are erratic. They really only fully control 1 stat. They are also more injury prone and more specifically more prone to the really big injury. Lastly I can take a 5th round SP and sit him against the worst competition and get the same stats that Verlander gives only in 180 innings instead of 220 then makeup most of that last 40 innings playing matchups with other SP. There are just so many ways to work around pitching compared to hitting. I can't say I've ever played in a league where I wished I had picked a starter in the 1st round.
Ender
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Chaos151p » Tue Feb 26, 2013 5:44 pm

Ehlana wrote:4. Cano. Very consistent like Cabrera, plays a shallow position, but man, that Yankee lineup is looking ugly. I'm not confident that Jeter/Ichiro will get on base enough and Teixeira/Youkilis will hit enough after Cano to support Cano for the counting stats he needs to justify this position.

I'm almost dead set on Cano in my 12 team H2H points league. Although he doesn't have the steals (like Kemp or McCutch) or the massive power upside (like Votto/Pujols)... he's got the consistency and the least amount of risk (that could land him in the top 3).

The Yankee lineup does bother me, they are old and not as fearsome as years past. You look at Pujols and he's got Trout and Hamilton around him, Kemp even more around his lineup spot.

Another factor, I think if he doesn't sign an extension he's golden (especially with Boras chirping)... I'm not saying if he resigns in spring training he's gonna dog the year... but I'll give an extra +1 to his rating if he's trying all year for that 20-25mil per contract.
Chaos151p
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby OBPlover » Tue Feb 26, 2013 10:20 pm

Come to think of it, Cargo's stats were mediocre last year..303 AVG 22 HR'S 20 STEALS? 80ish runs and rbi's. Usually spends some time on the DL. Plays in Coors, so if he gets traded (not likely but nothing is impossible these days) he's dead meat.
OBPlover
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 118)

Postby rotoquest » Tue Feb 26, 2013 10:28 pm

Ender wrote:Paul Goldschmidt. I love this guy but an ADP of 20 is just dumb for a guy who has never hit over 20 HR and who struggles to make contact against RHP.

I have to say, the more I look at goldschmidt, the more intrigued I get at drafting him around 35-40 overall. I think I'm putting him slightly ahead of butler in my rankings. He always hit over .300 in the minors with power, and the steals are a bonus. The lineup is not going to be as bad as I first thought without upton in it. I think I'm sold.
rotoquest
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafe Ranker
(Past Year: 194)

Postby Ender » Tue Feb 26, 2013 11:20 pm

rotoquest wrote:
Ender wrote:Paul Goldschmidt. I love this guy but an ADP of 20 is just dumb for a guy who has never hit over 20 HR and who struggles to make contact against RHP.

I have to say, the more I look at goldschmidt, the more intrigued I get at drafting him around 35-40 overall. I think I'm putting him slightly ahead of butler in my rankings. He always hit over .300 in the minors with power, and the steals are a bonus. The lineup is not going to be as bad as I first thought without upton in it. I think I'm sold.

Oh yeah I do like him for sure. If he goes in that range I'm on board with it even with the smallish samples. The problem is he is seriously going in the 2nd and 3rd round in a ton of drafts. Here is an example draft which is a LABR draft with industry experts including a bunch of guys I really respect. He went pick 19, that is just too early.

http://www.rtsports.com/LABR-Mixed-Draft
Ender
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert

Postby rookies and cream » Tue Feb 26, 2013 11:32 pm

Ender wrote:
rotoquest wrote:

Oh yeah I do like him for sure. If he goes in that range I'm on board with it even with the smallish samples. The problem is he is seriously going in the 2nd and 3rd round in a ton of drafts. Here is an example draft which is a LABR draft with industry experts including a bunch of guys I really respect. He went pick 19, that is just too early.

http://www.rtsports.com/LABR-Mixed-Draft

Maybe in some drafts, but I wouldn't say a ton. His MDP is still about 50 (early 5th in 12 teamers). Mock Draft Central is the only site that has him in the 2nd/3rd round. Even at the cafe, his ADP is 43.3, which is mid-4th round.
rookies and cream
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterWeb Supporter
(Past Year: 45)

Postby Ender » Tue Feb 26, 2013 11:40 pm

Experts tend to take guys like him a lot earlier than non experts. It is like playing a different game. He went 48 in pond scum. 52 in N00bs and 26 in the Masters on the cafe. You'll notice the higher ranking the draft the higher he goes. I look at a lot of industry mocks and it is rare to see him last till the 4th round and he is gone in the early 3rd most drafts.
Ender
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert

Previous

Return to Baseball Leftovers