Not my guys season 2! - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Not my guys season 2!

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: Not my guys season 2!

Postby Frenchiegangsta9 » Sun Feb 24, 2013 5:17 pm

bayside wrote:
Ender wrote:Now that Granderson broke his arm and is out for 10+ weeks I like him at this draft slot even less~.

Youve gotta be ****ing kidding me? He seriously broke his arm??

thought the exact same thing when I first read about it. Man, the Yanks cant catch a break it seems.
Frenchiegangsta9
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 35)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Skin Blues » Sun Feb 24, 2013 5:26 pm

Haven't really dived into rankings yet since I've been focused on hockey, but I will say that early mock draft values are usually terrible to work with. I almost exclusively pay attention to the NFBC values since they are for actual leagues, with lots of money at stake, and they're closer to the start of the season. The league setups for NFBC are also pretty much identical to what I play.
Skin Blues
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: 191)

Not my guys season 2!

Postby lastingsgriller » Sun Feb 24, 2013 6:35 pm

GiantsFan14 wrote:The Harper love is getting out of control.

This is because his first go-round in the show was way better than trout's. he is the highest rated prospect since Griffey and he certainly didn't let anyone down last year. You can play it conservative and say there are no guarantees, but won't you feel silly if he goes 35-20 this year?
Follow me on the twit! @chadmiller16
lastingsgriller
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe WriterCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 182)

Postby Skin Blues » Sun Feb 24, 2013 7:12 pm

I would feel even sillier if I spent a second round pick on him and he ends up on the lower end of his likely outcomes rather than at the peak. Trout's 2012 season is going to cause a lot of people to overrate rookies. There is an extremely long list of players that had better seasons than Trout's 2011 cup of coffee.
Skin Blues
General Manager
General Manager

Not my guys season 2!

Postby lastingsgriller » Sun Feb 24, 2013 7:35 pm

There is, this is true. Also, it is very safe to assume Harper won't have 2nd td type numbers. No one would fault you for having such an assumption. I'm just saying that if he goes nuts this year, everyone that doubted it will be saying, " I should have known, that was silly of me."
lastingsgriller
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe WriterCafe Ranker

Postby Frenchiegangsta9 » Sun Feb 24, 2013 7:50 pm

lastingsgriller wrote:There is, this is true. Also, it is very safe to assume Harper won't have 2nd td type numbers. No one would fault you for having such an assumption. I'm just saying that if he goes nuts this year, everyone that doubted it will be saying, " I should have known, that was silly of me."

""Don't Confuse the Outcome with the Decision"

Schwartz and Siano often make this remark when listeners complain about poor performance from players on their fantasy teams when their decision making was sound. Schwartz and Siano remind the callers that a lot of luck is involved in fantasy baseball and that sound decision making will produce fruitful results in the long run."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fantasy_411

I quote this popular saying cause there is not one person who has the deep insight to see what Harper(or any player) will do this season. Its something that I am comfortable with while playing this great fantasy game, and that is not second guessing myself when an outcome is not favorable when all my efforts in critical thinking led me to believe it would be. When Pujols didnt have a great season, my first thought wasn't "I should have known."
Frenchiegangsta9
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Not my guys season 2!

Postby lastingsgriller » Sun Feb 24, 2013 8:00 pm

Meh.. With 20 year olds, there is a huge variance on what might happen. All I'm saying is that if he goes 35-20 that will not be the most shocking thing that you see this year. Also, if he goes 19-10, you also will not be shocked. I just think he has a better chance to put up 1st rd numbers than most 3rd rd guys.
lastingsgriller
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe WriterCafe Ranker

Postby Frenchiegangsta9 » Sun Feb 24, 2013 8:03 pm

lastingsgriller wrote:Meh.. With 20 year olds, there is a huge variance on what might happen. All I'm saying is that if he goes 35-20 that will not be the most shocking thing that you see this year. Also, if he goes 19-10, you also will not be shocked. I just think he has a better chance to put up 1st rd numbers than most 3rd rd guys.

I absolutely agree with you Lastings. If he does go 35/20 this year, I will be looking for Harper in the 1st round next year.
Frenchiegangsta9
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Skin Blues » Sun Feb 24, 2013 8:29 pm

lastingsgriller wrote:There is, this is true. Also, it is very safe to assume Harper won't have 2nd td type numbers. No one would fault you for having such an assumption. I'm just saying that if he goes nuts this year, everyone that doubted it will be saying, " I should have known, that was silly of me."

I can see the "I should have known better" argument about passing up on Trout into the 20th+ round. But I don't think anybody will be kicking themselves for passing up on Harper in the 2nd/3rd round regardless how good he is. We know there's a huge range of possible outcomes so we shouldn't be surprised or upset regardless of where he ends up.

That said, I do have high hopes for Harper, but with the season Trout had last year people are going to spend way too much to acquire him. Trust me, if he's drafted where Trout was last year I'll own him on every team!
Skin Blues
General Manager
General Manager

Postby bayside » Sun Feb 24, 2013 9:44 pm

RE: Harper

In the inaugural season of a new keeper league would you hesitate to take him in the 2nd?
bayside
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers