Draft in two sessions on Yahoo? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Commissioner's Corner

Draft in two sessions on Yahoo?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Draft in two sessions on Yahoo?

Postby MorseOverTaveras » Wed Feb 20, 2013 10:29 pm

Is it possible for Yahoo to support some type of split session drafts? I figured that it'd be better to draft in two 1 hour sessions rather than do it all at once in 2 hours. Seems convenient enough, but Yahoo doesn't seem to have this functionality. Or I could be wrong. Maybe some kind of pause/resume buttons inside the draft room?

Any one have any ideas? Thanks.
MorseOverTaveras
College Coach
College Coach

(Past Year: 3)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Draft in two sessions on Yahoo?

Postby Fantasy Sports Genie » Fri Feb 22, 2013 1:37 pm

Here is what I can tell you.

- We have pause functionality, but it won't really let you do what you are proposing. It allows you a limited number of pauses for a limited amount of time. It is intended for a drink/bathroom break, or to fix something that has gone wrong. It isn't meant to interrupt the draft for an extended period of time. To manage resources, we need to have some predictability in how long a draft will take, and letting people pause drafts for days doesn't really allow for that.

- You could do it, but it would be a bit of a pain for you. Here's how. First, decide how many rounds you are doing in the first session. Schedule your draft. Draft at least until those rounds are over. At that point people can leave if they want, and we'll just autopick the rest of the draft. Second, reset your draft. There is a commish tool to do that. It should mail you your previous draft results when you do this, but just to be extra sure and safe, you might want to print them or keep them up in another browser window or whatever. Third, use commish tools to set a custom draft order to the same order you had the first time, and to slot in all the players picked in the first (however many) rounds the first time you drafted. Now when you do the second live draft, it will very quickly fly through all the pre-made picks, and your draft will start where you left off.

Let me know if that makes sense
Fantasy Sports Genie
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 42)

Postby MorseOverTaveras » Sat Feb 23, 2013 3:21 am

Fantasy Sports Genie wrote:Here is what I can tell you.

- We have pause functionality, but it won't really let you do what you are proposing. It allows you a limited number of pauses for a limited amount of time. It is intended for a drink/bathroom break, or to fix something that has gone wrong. It isn't meant to interrupt the draft for an extended period of time. To manage resources, we need to have some predictability in how long a draft will take, and letting people pause drafts for days doesn't really allow for that.

- You could do it, but it would be a bit of a pain for you. Here's how. First, decide how many rounds you are doing in the first session. Schedule your draft. Draft at least until those rounds are over. At that point people can leave if they want, and we'll just autopick the rest of the draft. Second, reset your draft. There is a commish tool to do that. It should mail you your previous draft results when you do this, but just to be extra sure and safe, you might want to print them or keep them up in another browser window or whatever. Third, use commish tools to set a custom draft order to the same order you had the first time, and to slot in all the players picked in the first (however many) rounds the first time you drafted. Now when you do the second live draft, it will very quickly fly through all the pre-made picks, and your draft will start where you left off.

Let me know if that makes sense

Yeah, I've thought of kind of brute-forcing things like that. I think we'll just opt for a slow draft. Seems like to be an effective commish on Yahoo, I always have to be creative or do things manually myself... :-S ..Thanks for your help though Genie!
MorseOverTaveras
College Coach
College Coach

(Past Year: 3)

Postby Fantasy Sports Genie » Sun Feb 24, 2013 5:53 pm

To put it in perspective, I've never heard anyone else ask for what you wanted to do here.
Fantasy Sports Genie
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 42)

Return to Commissioner's Corner