All SP Strategy? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

All SP Strategy?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

All SP Strategy?

Postby Chaos151p » Wed Feb 20, 2013 2:36 pm

Let me layout the settings and proposed strategy. It's a 16 team league with 5 rounds of auction ($100 auction money) followed by rounds 6-25 of regular serp picks. It's H2H with 5x5 categories (R,HR,RBI,S,OBP,W,K,SV,ERA,WHIP) plus 4-OF, MI/CI and 8 P slots.

With regard to the half auction, you can buy 2 guys for $50 each or 8 guys for $100 total - just think of it as a regular serp if your debating over the strategy. Last year I had Cano/Stanton/Andrus for say $86 total... the top hitters go for 40-50, and the top pitchers go for 20-25 (with only about 10 auctioned).

Strategy: I'm looking to buy 4-5 top SP's in the auction (no hitters). $100 will allow me to get say, Kershaw (28), Strasburg (25), Lee (18) = $71 so far, maybe another $15 in Darvish = $86 total (leaves 14)

My thinking is, sort of like punting offense but not completely. In a 16 team H2H league, I'm looking at starting these 4-5 monster SP's (high innings, high k's) with 2 good closers and shutting the door on all the pitching categories.

This obviously puts me behind in hitting, I mean I'm facing a guy with say Votto/Cano/Hanley... but his #1 SP might be a guy like Latos (who would be good for my 5th or 6th SP slot). He can't possibly keep up in pitching that week...

Then I'm serping rounds 6-20 basically all hitters... positions are thin enough with 16 teams - offense can be streaky on any given week.

Granted pitching is deep, but I've been burned so many times with 1st and 2nd round hitters that cost too much and either get injured for months or have a down year - let's say you are serping regular and pickup Carlos Gonzo & Justin Upton (they have a down year or an injury)... wouldn't drafting Verlander & Strasburg give you an immediate advantage over the guy who lost an early round hitter - since his pitching is worse... (that is if your SP stay healthy)

I'm not looking for balance, I'm looking to shake things up and take a shot... and not with 1 or 2 high aces, but 4-5... all in!
Last edited by Chaos151p on Fri Feb 22, 2013 5:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Chaos151p
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: All SP Strategy?

Postby goldtop » Wed Feb 20, 2013 5:28 pm

Around this time every year I read a post like the OP's. Never once have I read a thread about it working out. Either owners get convinced the injury risk to pitchers is too great and bail on the strategy or it fails. Not sure which.
The way I see it your punting R,RBI,OBP and HR for K,L,ERA and WHIP. Wins and average are tough to chase. Saves are easy to find on the wire. You better have a good plan for steals. Not to say it can't work, but I think the odds are against you.
If you do end up going this route please post some follow ups through the season. Good luck!
goldtop
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

(Past Year: 20)

Postby BChinly » Wed Feb 20, 2013 6:19 pm

I'd like to see someone punt average instead and go for guys like Dan Uggla, Mark Reynolds, and Adam Dunn
BChinly
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 116)

Postby Izenhart » Wed Feb 20, 2013 7:41 pm

BChinly wrote:I'd like to see someone punt average instead and go for guys like Dan Uggla, Mark Reynolds, and Adam Dunn

viewtopic.php?t=442117
Izenhart
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 294)

Postby kab21 » Wed Feb 20, 2013 9:26 pm

The reason not to do it is L's and SV's. You probably won't dominate these categories since you won't be able to afford closers and you will have a lot of losses because of how many innings you throw. If you want to game your league then load up on RP'ers and closers. You should dominate L's, SV's, ERA and WHIP and not spend nearly as much money as you would have on elite SP'ers.

Get a few good but not great hitters and then when other teams are out of money start nominating closers. Or get the best hitters you can and draft closers in the draft. Finish the draft with good ratio setup men. No starters.
kab21
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 171)

Postby jfg » Wed Feb 20, 2013 9:38 pm

kab21 wrote:The reason not to do it is L's and SV's. You probably won't dominate these categories since you won't be able to afford closers and you will have a lot of losses because of how many innings you throw. If you want to game your league then load up on RP'ers and closers. You should dominate L's, SV's, ERA and WHIP and not spend nearly as much money as you would have on elite SP'ers.

Get a few good but not great hitters and then when other teams are out of money start nominating closers. Or get the best hitters you can and draft closers in the draft. Finish the draft with good ratio setup men. No starters.

Agreed. It's a no brainer to play only relievers in this format unless there is a high minimum innings pitched limit per week in which case, I'd still have minimal starters, just enough to hit that limit.
jfg
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicGolden Eagle EyeMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly WinnerTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner
(Past Year: 85)

Postby Chaos151p » Wed Feb 20, 2013 9:56 pm

The no starter strategy I tried a few years ago, and failed... but brought it back last year with some lessons learned and I turned it into a division title and eventual playoff loss (thanks to my slumping offense).

One guy in the league last year bought Halladay/Lee/Price... and Napoli. Loved his style, nice starting 3 aces... his team fell flat though. Lesson? if your going with a strategy, go all in... not half way. True Halladay fell off (and I can't remember anyone predicting that), but he brought in 3 top starters and 1 measly catcher... his other pitchers were Clayton Richard and Chris Capuano (as his 4th and 5th... or 3rd and 4th since Halladay missed time).

I don't want just 3 aces, I want 5... so baring a meltdown or injury to 1 of them... I've got 4 aces left. With regards to punting offense, I wouldn't categorize it in the same league as punting saves lets say... since punting saves means you have no closers, I'll actually load up on hitters every round or the serp. Not only that but, I'm not really punting C/2B/SS/3B... they're all razor thin in a 16 team league anyway.

For the closers, I may be able to pickup a cheap closer for $5... fill in some late round relievers too (not a major concern)... my main concerns with this all-in strategy, find the right starters (who will all finish in the top 20)... and find the lower tier value at each position. I'm sure there's plenty of AB's to compete at some level... beating the top offenses each week? no, but it's H2H weekly, are all 15 other teams beating me in offense? every week?

As far as pitcher categories for the week, I'm looking at say my 8 starts verse random team's 8 starts. I've got five top 20 pitchers in my rotation + 1 other SP and 2 decent closers. He's got starters ranked #15, #30, #55, #60, #90... I've gotta like my chances in all categories, would the aces be more likely to throw bad games and cost me era/whip/losses... or are his average pitchers going to throw there ho-hum weekly 5 earned run outings.

Don't get me wrong gentleman, I've got 1 and a half other teams with regular balanced strategies in mind. This is just a complete shot in the dark, I've got to commit or else. I don't want to be stuck with Cargo, Weiters, Strasburg & Darvish... maybe in my other leagues, but here I'm thinking CarGo under performs and I beat his puny rotation (since i'm not too far behind in offense when the regular draft starts)
Chaos151p
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby kab21 » Wed Feb 20, 2013 11:23 pm

The problem is that if I am matched up against you I wouldn't even try to beat you at W's. I would give up 1 category and go for the ratios, L's and compete against you in SV's. You are already conceding that your offense isn't going to have the studs that other teams have. that's the problem with this strategy. You won't lock down the pitching categories.
kab21
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 171)

Postby ensanimal » Wed Feb 20, 2013 11:50 pm

Chaos151p wrote: my main concerns with this all-in strategy, find the right starters (who will all finish in the top 20)...

Here's my problem with this. Make a mistake on one or two and you're dead in the water on draft day. There is no fallback option or way to rearrange things if you go with a slightly more balanced approached.

Good luck. ;-D
ensanimal

CafeholicFantasy ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeHockey ModPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 112)

Postby bayside » Wed Feb 20, 2013 11:53 pm

This strategy is never going to work.
Pitching is too unpredictable week to week. 1 bad start and your ratios are tanked.
And any manager with half a clue will easily be able to easily counter the strategy by throwing as many relievers at you as possible while pitching the minimum innings.

And even if your system did miraculously work well and you won 4-5 pitching cats every week, you would still have around a .500 team because your offense will be awful.
Not really something to strive for.
bayside
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers