Making Sense of My Keepers in a H2H 20 Teamer - WHIR - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Draft, Trade, Keeper and Waivers Questions

Making Sense of My Keepers in a H2H 20 Teamer - WHIR

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Making Sense of My Keepers in a H2H 20 Teamer - WHIR

Postby mm92280 » Tue Feb 19, 2013 10:18 pm

Hey,

I am in a 20 team H2H keeper league and need a little help in sorting out my keepers in preparation for the upcoming season. We can essentially keep up to 5 players. We are not required to keep 5 guys and, if we don't, simply receive extra draft picks prior to the start of the "real" draft (which would begin in round 6, since the first 5 rounds is essentially the computer re-selecting our keepers for us). So, I could throw a couple of players back into the pool and hope one of my opponents will throw someone back into the pool that might be better.

I am a little torn on picking this year, as I have a lot of very good but not great players: Carlos Santana, Ben Zobrist, Gio Gonzalez, Kris Medlen. Clearly, some good quality players are going to get throw back into the pool and I can only hope that I get the chance to re-draft some of them in the middle-rounds.

Here is the scoring for my league:

Batting: AVG, R, HR, RBI, OPS, SB, AST
Pitching: ERA, WHIP, K, WINS, CG, SV, HLDS

My thoughts on my roster:

I think I have 2 essential no brainer keepers: Gincarlo Stanton and Carlos Gonzalez. I think Stanton is clearly my top keeper and is a top keeper for years to come (despite how pitiful the Marlins are likely to be). Carlos Gonzalez is very good but I think it is safe to say that 2010 is more the exception rather than the rule and that 2011 and 2012 are more along the lines of what to expect from him - very good production that everyone would be happy to have but not out-of-this-world production.

After that, I think Adam Wainwright could be my 3rd keeper. I do lean more towards offense but, if I keep a single pitcher, then it would be Wainwright so that he could be my #1 starter. I think he will be one of the top 10 or 12 starters in the entire league. For my 4th keeper, I am thinking Carlos Santana, I've had him as a keeper for 2 years straight but will admit that I've been a bit frustrated with his low batting average and contact rate. The positives are his plus power and walk rate, which should be enough to make him a top 5 catcher. Typically, if you have a top 5 option (outside of RP), then you usually keep him. For my #5 keeper (should I choose to have one), I am thinking Ben Zobrist. I know some might be saying Gio Gonzalez or Kris Medlen here but I lean heavily towards offense as pitching is more difficult to predict and quality starters come out of the woodwork every year. Zobrist is a solid but definitely unspectacular option. His biggest asset is his versatility, as he is eligible at 2B, RF and, most importantly, SS. He is a top 8 or top 10 option at 2B and a top 6 or top 8 options at SS. He's the type of guy who will likely hit 16-18 homers and provide 18-22 stolen bases. Is that enough to be keeper worthy in a 20 teamer?

That is my opinion on who my top guys are. Of course, I could always try to bundle a package together to upgrade one of my keepers (which is kind of tough to do at this time of year, as everyone knows all that matters is your top 5 players) or to get better draft picks. I could be unconventional and consider Gio Gonzalez or Kris Medlen as keepers but I covered my reasons for that above. I do have some young guys with potential (Eric Hosmer, Will Middlebrooks, Wil Myers) that I like quite a bit but I believe I would be reaching to keep any of them, as I think they will each likely be available at some point in rounds 8 - 12, unless my fellow owners reach. I do like the potential of all 3, though I know Hosmer was a huge disappointment last year and I know some people don't believe in Middlelbrooks.

So, what do you guys think? Do you agree with my top 5 keepers? Should I start sending out trade offers to see if I can bolster my keepers? I've thought about trying to package a couple of players to guys that were weak with keepers, such as Zobrist and Gio Gonzalez for Hanley Ramirez. A smart owner probably wouldn't do that deal but an owner with few keeper options might consider it.


Here is my roster, as it now stands (which is essentially what it looked like at the end of last season):

C: Carlos Santana (C, 1B)
1B: E. Hosmer (1B)
2B: B. Zobrist (2B, SS, RF)
SS: A. Escobar (SS)
3B: W. Middlebrooks (3B)
LF: C. Gonzalez (LF)
CF: A. Eaton (CF)
RF: G. Stanton (RF)
Util: J. Maxwell (LF, CF, RF)
Util: B. Revere (RF)
Bn: K. Youkilis (3B, 1B)
Bn: W. Myers (RF)

SP: A. Wainwright
SP: G. Gonzalez
SP: K. Medlen
SP: J. Niese
SP: M. Estrada
SP: A. Cobb
RP: A. Reed
RP: R. Soriano
RP: S. Downs
RP: S. Marshall


Thanks!
mm92280
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor


Posts: 861
Joined: 11 May 2002
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Making Sense of My Keepers in a H2H 20 Teamer - WHIR

Postby Woolly the Mammoth » Wed Feb 20, 2013 1:08 am

I like your keepers with the exception of Carlos Santana. I generally agree that four offensive players to one starting pitcher is the correct ratio for your league settings, but Gio Gonzalez probably offers more value overall than Santana. Something to think about.

Help with mine please http://www.fantasybaseballcafe.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=454820
Woolly the Mammoth
College Coach
College Coach


Posts: 168
Joined: 1 Mar 2008
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Making Sense of My Keepers in a H2H 20 Teamer - WHIR

Postby Elsy » Wed Feb 20, 2013 2:21 pm

Woolly the Mammoth wrote:I like your keepers with the exception of Carlos Santana. I generally agree that four offensive players to one starting pitcher is the correct ratio for your league settings, but Gio Gonzalez probably offers more value overall than Santana. Something to think about.

Help with mine please http://www.fantasybaseballcafe.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=454820


Agreed
Elsy
General Manager
General Manager

User avatar

Posts: 2195
(Past Year: 43)
Joined: 7 Nov 2006
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Making Sense of My Keepers in a H2H 20 Teamer - WHIR

Postby toledomudhens » Wed Feb 20, 2013 3:29 pm

;-D ;-D ;-D ;-D ;-D
mm92280 wrote:Hey,

I am in a 20 team H2H keeper league and need a little help in sorting out my keepers in preparation for the upcoming season. We can essentially keep up to 5 players. We are not required to keep 5 guys and, if we don't, simply receive extra draft picks prior to the start of the "real" draft (which would begin in round 6, since the first 5 rounds is essentially the computer re-selecting our keepers for us). So, I could throw a couple of players back into the pool and hope one of my opponents will throw someone back into the pool that might be better.

I am a little torn on picking this year, as I have a lot of very good but not great players: Carlos Santana, Ben Zobrist, Gio Gonzalez, Kris Medlen. Clearly, some good quality players are going to get throw back into the pool and I can only hope that I get the chance to re-draft some of them in the middle-rounds.

Here is the scoring for my league:

Batting: AVG, R, HR, RBI, OPS, SB, AST
Pitching: ERA, WHIP, K, WINS, CG, SV, HLDS

My thoughts on my roster:

I think I have 2 essential no brainer keepers: Gincarlo Stanton and Carlos Gonzalez. I think Stanton is clearly my top keeper and is a top keeper for years to come (despite how pitiful the Marlins are likely to be). Carlos Gonzalez is very good but I think it is safe to say that 2010 is more the exception rather than the rule and that 2011 and 2012 are more along the lines of what to expect from him - very good production that everyone would be happy to have but not out-of-this-world production.

After that, I think Adam Wainwright could be my 3rd keeper. I do lean more towards offense but, if I keep a single pitcher, then it would be Wainwright so that he could be my #1 starter. I think he will be one of the top 10 or 12 starters in the entire league. For my 4th keeper, I am thinking Carlos Santana, I've had him as a keeper for 2 years straight but will admit that I've been a bit frustrated with his low batting average and contact rate. The positives are his plus power and walk rate, which should be enough to make him a top 5 catcher. Typically, if you have a top 5 option (outside of RP), then you usually keep him. For my #5 keeper (should I choose to have one), I am thinking Ben Zobrist. I know some might be saying Gio Gonzalez or Kris Medlen here but I lean heavily towards offense as pitching is more difficult to predict and quality starters come out of the woodwork every year. Zobrist is a solid but definitely unspectacular option. His biggest asset is his versatility, as he is eligible at 2B, RF and, most importantly, SS. He is a top 8 or top 10 option at 2B and a top 6 or top 8 options at SS. He's the type of guy who will likely hit 16-18 homers and provide 18-22 stolen bases. Is that enough to be keeper worthy in a 20 teamer?

That is my opinion on who my top guys are. Of course, I could always try to bundle a package together to upgrade one of my keepers (which is kind of tough to do at this time of year, as everyone knows all that matters is your top 5 players) or to get better draft picks. I could be unconventional and consider Gio Gonzalez or Kris Medlen as keepers but I covered my reasons for that above. I do have some young guys with potential (Eric Hosmer, Will Middlebrooks, Wil Myers) that I like quite a bit but I believe I would be reaching to keep any of them, as I think they will each likely be available at some point in rounds 8 - 12, unless my fellow owners reach. I do like the potential of all 3, though I know Hosmer was a huge disappointment last year and I know some people don't believe in Middlelbrooks.

So, what do you guys think? Do you agree with my top 5 keepers? Should I start sending out trade offers to see if I can bolster my keepers? I've thought about trying to package a couple of players to guys that were weak with keepers, such as Zobrist and Gio Gonzalez for Hanley Ramirez. A smart owner probably wouldn't do that deal but an owner with few keeper options might consider it.


Here is my roster, as it now stands (which is essentially what it looked like at the end of last season):

C: Carlos Santana (C, 1B)
1B: E. Hosmer (1B)
2B: B. Zobrist (2B, SS, RF)
SS: A. Escobar (SS)
3B: W. Middlebrooks (3B)
LF: C. Gonzalez (LF)
CF: A. Eaton (CF)
RF: G. Stanton (RF)
Util: J. Maxwell (LF, CF, RF)
Util: B. Revere (RF)
Bn: K. Youkilis (3B, 1B)
Bn: W. Myers (RF)

SP: A. Wainwright
SP: G. Gonzalez
SP: K. Medlen
SP: J. Niese
SP: M. Estrada
SP: A. Cobb
RP: A. Reed
RP: R. Soriano
RP: S. Downs
RP: S. Marshall


Thanks!


Ok its a 20 team league, your not going to find a better catcher than santana in your draft...keep him forsure...then zobrist, stanton, cargoand gio....there is your 5... ;-D ;-D
Image
toledomudhens
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

User avatar
Cafe Ranker
Posts: 901
(Past Year: 200)
Joined: 29 Nov 2006
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Making Sense of My Keepers in a H2H 20 Teamer - WHIR

Postby allen730877 » Wed Feb 20, 2013 3:44 pm

Well sure you can. Rosario? Doumit? Salty? Prospects such as Zunino, Brantly?



WHIR http://www.fantasybaseballcafe.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=26&t=454765
allen730877
College Coach
College Coach


Posts: 224
Joined: 3 May 2012
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Making Sense of My Keepers in a H2H 20 Teamer - WHIR

Postby toledomudhens » Wed Feb 20, 2013 3:57 pm

allen730877 wrote:Well sure you can. Rosario? Doumit? Salty? Prospects such as Zunino, Brantly?



WHIR http://www.fantasybaseballcafe.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=26&t=454765


lol, better than santana...his upside is huge, and that revamped lineup around him...ohhh...80/25/100/.263...those guys u listed will not come close to these numbers that santana can post...sorry...
Image
toledomudhens
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

User avatar
Cafe Ranker
Posts: 901
(Past Year: 200)
Joined: 29 Nov 2006
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Making Sense of My Keepers in a H2H 20 Teamer - WHIR

Postby allen730877 » Wed Feb 20, 2013 4:02 pm

Well I don't agree with not taking Santana and like you said especially in this deep of a league.
But there are guys out there that could be sleeping in this type of league.

WHIR http://www.fantasybaseballcafe.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=26&t=454765
allen730877
College Coach
College Coach


Posts: 224
Joined: 3 May 2012
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Making Sense of My Keepers in a H2H 20 Teamer - WHIR

Postby toledomudhens » Wed Feb 20, 2013 4:11 pm

allen730877 wrote:Well I don't agree with not taking Santana and like you said especially in this deep of a league.
But there are guys out there that could be sleeping in this type of league.

WHIR http://www.fantasybaseballcafe.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=26&t=454765


Trust me you don't want to be left with a cervelli, or a susuki. Esspecally when u have talent like that at a weak position.I can guarentee mauer, weiters, perez, lecroy, arecibia, martinez(if eleigable), napoli, molina...these guys will all be kept....like I said u don't want kurt susuki starting catcher for your team.....
Image
toledomudhens
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

User avatar
Cafe Ranker
Posts: 901
(Past Year: 200)
Joined: 29 Nov 2006
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Making Sense of My Keepers in a H2H 20 Teamer - WHIR

Postby MadDog36 » Wed Feb 20, 2013 4:25 pm

Cargo
Stanton
Zobrist
Santana
Starter: waino or gio both are on par with each other both with risk.
Join My Roto Keeper League:
viewtopic.php?t=466433
MadDog36
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
CafeholicResponse Team LeaderFantasy Expert
Posts: 16527
(Past Year: 1948)
Joined: 1 Jun 2006
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: NC


Return to Draft, Trade, Keeper and Waivers Questions

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 9 guests

Forums Articles & Tips Sleepers Rankings Leagues


Today's Games
Friday, Sep. 19
(All times are EST, weather icons show forecast for game time)

LA Dodgers at Chi Cubs
(2:20 pm)
Boston at Baltimore
(7:05 pm)
Toronto at NY Yankees
(7:05 pm)
Milwaukee at Pittsburgh
(7:05 pm)
Washington at Miami
(7:10 pm)
indoors
Chi White Sox at Tampa Bay
(7:10 pm)
indoors
NY Mets at Atlanta
(7:35 pm)
Cleveland at Minnesota
(8:10 pm)
Detroit at Kansas City
(8:10 pm)
Seattle at Houston
(8:10 pm)
Arizona at Colorado
(8:10 pm)
Cincinnati at St. Louis
(8:15 pm)
Philadelphia at Oakland
(9:35 pm)
Texas at LA Angels
(10:05 pm)
San Francisco at San Diego
(10:10 pm)

  • Fantasy Baseball
  • Article Submissions
  • Privacy Statement
  • Site Survey 
  • Contact