First 20 team league. Help me? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Analyze/Rate My Team

First 20 team league. Help me?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

First 20 team league. Help me?

Postby skjelstrom » Tue Feb 19, 2013 8:03 pm

Like I said this is a 20 team league with usual scoring + OPS and Holds. My first ever league larger than 12 teams, how did I do? Give me any suggestions! WHIR

C - Jonathan Lucroy
1B - Paul Goldschmidt
2B - Rickie Weeks
3B - Miguel Cabrera
SS - Josh Rutledge
OF - Jacoby Ellsbury
OF - Shin-Soo Choo
OF - Dexter Fowler
UTIL - Starling Marte
Bench - Jemile Weeks
Bench - Will Venable
Bench - Jose Tabata

SP - Matt Moore
SP - Jeff Samardzija
SP - Jake Peavy
SP - Mike Fiers
SP - Dillon Gee
RP - Joe Nathan
RP - Bruce Rondon
RP - Luke Gregerson
RP - Trevor Rosenthal
Bench - Dylan Bundy
Bench - Felix Doubront
Bench - Bud Norris
Bench - Jesse Crain
skjelstrom Beginner
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 100)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: First 20 team league. Help me?

Postby fsbarren » Sat Mar 02, 2013 4:39 am

I've run a 20-team league for several years and this isn't too bad at all. The pitching is a little weak, but there's plenty of time to address it. You're OK on closers (Rondon is a little iffy to me) but two closers puts you above the league average (also, with 20 teams that means some guys are going to have 1 closer and might be willing to punt on that stat after a couple of months so be on the look out for a good deal).

The key with 20-team league is that everyone is pretty much going to have a weakness somewhere and trades addressing position scarcity can really work in your favor (position is a Real Term in 20-team leagues, lol). That means that 2-for-1 and 3-for-1 trades are very viable in this format.

The other is being really diligent on the player pool/waiver wire guys. I guarantee you that at this moment there are 3-5 guys that are going to come out of nowhere in there and you just have to keep at it until you get the right guys.

My strategy in this format is to always go for the best player one trade at a time (with 2-for-1 and 3-for-1 trades) and just mine-mine-mine the player pool to try to recoup the lost value. It can be exhausting since it can really be finding a diamond in the rough, but by the end of the season you may be surprised by the roster you have (on occasion, my 20-team roster is better than my 12 and 14-team leagues, lol).

It should definitely be an experience, so have fun and good luck.
fsbarren
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 192)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Return to Analyze/Rate My Team