Need a 1b: Trade for Konerko, Howard, or Craig? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Draft, Trade, Keeper and Waivers Questions

Need a 1b: Trade for Konerko, Howard, or Craig?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Need a 1b: Trade for Konerko, Howard, or Craig?

Postby DC nats05 » Tue Feb 19, 2013 10:54 am

Hi guys, so I’m in a 10-team 5x5 h2h dynasty league and I believe we’re entering the fourth year of the league. As you can see by looking at my roster below, I desperately need a 1b. I’ve gotten three offers so far and another owner who is interested in trading me a 1b. We keep 25 players, but I would rather enter the draft with a 1b than having to rely on whatever is left. Here are the offers I’ve received:

1. Trade my 4th or 5th round pick of the draft…Receive Paul Konerko
2. Trade Chad Billingsley (who I wasn’t going to keep anyway)…Receive Ryan Howard
3. Trade Kris Medlen and Brandon Beachy…Receive Edwin Encarnacion
4. Not an official trade, but one team asked me if I’m interested in Allen Craig. He’s interested in Kris Medlen/Brandon Beachy.

I’m leaning towards trading for Konerko since I would only be giving up a pick and it doesn’t mean that much. What do you guys think?

C- Buster Posey
1B-
2B- Jose Altuve
3B- Miguel Cabrera
SS- Jose Reyes
2B/SS- Jean Segura
1B/3B- Evan Longoria
OF- Josh Hamilton
OF- Jose Bautista
OF- Adam Jones
OF- Michael Morse
OF- Dexter Fowler
UTIL- David Wright
Bench- Oscar Taveras
Bench- Xander Bogaerts
Bench- Nick Markakis
Bench- Ben Revere
Bench- Emiliio Bonifacio
Bench- Jackie Bradley
Bench- Nolan Arenado
Bench- Trevor Story

P- Stephen Strasburg
P- David Price
P- Gio Gonzalez
P- Mat Latos
P- Kris Medlen
P- Brandon Beachy
P- Jason Motte
P- Addison Reed
P- Tommy Hanson
Bench- Homer Bailey
Bench- Shaun Marcum
Bench- John Axford
Bench- Danny Hultzen
Bench- Ross Detwiler
Bench- Chris Tillman
Bench- Greg Holland
Bench- Dan Straily
Bench- Chad Billingsley
Bench- Rubby De La Rosa
Bench- Taylor Guerrieri
DC nats05
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 2)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Need a 1b: Trade for Konerko, Howard, or Craig?

Postby toledomudhens » Tue Feb 19, 2013 11:02 am

Super easy choice for me, I am so giving him billingsly and taking howard, you have some real graet avg hitters that will even out his bad avg.And billingsly is just plain crap.. ;-D ;-D ;-D ;-D
toledomudhens
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Cafe Ranker
(Past Year: 202)

Postby allen730877 » Tue Feb 19, 2013 11:27 am

I would just take Howard and see if you can find a prospect or sleeper 1B in the draft.

whir http://www.fantasybaseballcafe.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=454765
allen730877
College Coach
College Coach

Postby misterf » Tue Feb 19, 2013 11:35 am

All 4 trade options are in your favor, I think.

But I actually like the Medlen/Beachy for Encarnacion best. It's expensive......but you are getting great value in return. This trade has huge upside.....and only limited downside.

Your pitching is in good shape....you can afford the loss of Medlen. And Beachy is out for most of the year with no guarantee he will ever be the same. He has long-term value in a dynasty league....but I would gladly trade that for proven value that can fill a hole in the roster and help you now.

I also like the Medlen/Beachy trade if you got Craig in return....but I like Encarnacion a bit more.

I like the Konerko trade, too. I think Konerko has another good year or two in him. And if you keep 25 guys, there isn't much value left in the 4th or 5th round, If you have room for Konerko on your keeper list after you nab Encarnacion, I would even consider doing both trades. I see very little downside in the Konerko deal....but it really depends on who Konerko would knock off your keeper list to determine if it makes sense or not,

Heck, even Billingsly for Howard is a nice trade for you. Very safe, with little downside (billingsly stinks). But I like Konerko a little more than Howard so I would go with the Konerko trade.

I understand why you are initially leaning to the Konerko trade. The Konerko trade (and the Howard trade) are both extremely safe. You give up very little and get a serviceable player in return,. But those trades have nowhere near the upside of grabbing Encarnacion or Craig. You are being offered very good players at a more than fair price....I wouldn't pass up that opportunity.

Anytime you end up with the best player in the deal,,,,and you aren't overpaying.....I think you have to pull the trigger........especially when trading away pitching to get hitting.

So grab Encarnacion NOW!

p.s. But if the Encarnacion and Craig trades both fall through.....I would definitely try to get both Konerko and Howard. While I think they both have something left in the tank....they are both definitely risky old dudes....so I would grab them both to cover your bases.....especially since they can both be had on the cheap.

help with mine?

http://www.fantasybaseballcafe.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=454769
misterf
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 74)

Postby MadDog36 » Tue Feb 19, 2013 12:17 pm

I'd go Howard for Billingsley and Craig for Beachy and take that too the bank!
Join My Roto Keeper League:
viewtopic.php?t=466433
MadDog36
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicResponse Team LeaderFantasy Expert
(Past Year: 1886)

Return to Draft, Trade, Keeper and Waivers Questions