Draft Order in a Keeper Leauge - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Commissioner's Corner

Draft Order in a Keeper Leauge

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: Draft Order in a Keeper Leauge

Postby fsbarren » Fri Feb 22, 2013 2:47 am

Thanks guys. We should hopefully be making a decision in the next week or so and I'm going to include as link to this discussion.
fsbarren
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 192)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Draft Order in a Keeper Leauge

Postby Kimbos Beard » Fri Feb 22, 2013 8:59 am

This is a good discussion and I like some of the ideas here.

I am not sure there is a perfect solution. In my 12 team 5x5 with 6 keepers we do reverse standing draft. If you finish last you get the first pick. We also increased the money payout to include teams that finish 1-4. The thought with that was that if you are in 6-7 and you are not that far out there would be an incentive to keep playing rather than just tanking for a draft pick. I'll also note that since we keep 6 players the player pool is not as good in the draft, we are starting in the "70's", thus its not as enticing to just tank as it is in your league where you can get a "Top 50" guy.

The random picking of the teams that didn't win money or make the playoffs is a good idea. The problem I see with that though is I don't know how fair it is to the team that finished say 5th to have a chance at getting the first pick over teams who finished worse mainly because they just don't have good players? There probably is a good deal of difference between the team that finishes 5th and the team that finishes 14th. I am just not sure that if one of your goals is competitive balance the randomization is the best way to do it.

I think it also depends on the managers in your league. Unless there are quite a few managers who consistently are tanking for draft picks you may just be overthinking this entire issue.
Kimbos Beard
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 27)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Previous

Return to Commissioner's Corner