Nolan Arenado - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Nolan Arenado

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Nolan Arenado

Postby speedy27 » Sat Feb 16, 2013 8:07 pm

Assuming Arenado won the 3B job coming out of spring training where would be rank among 3B?
Image
speedy27
General Manager
General Manager

User avatar

Posts: 2792
(Past Year: 8)
Joined: 30 Jan 2004
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Nolan Arenado

Postby Montana168 » Sat Feb 16, 2013 8:37 pm

IF he wins the job out of Spring Training, I think he would fall right below the Moustakas/Machado/Middlebrooks tier. Although maybe a good argument that he belongs in the tier with those 3, but at best should be drafted right after those 3.

In terms of upside, hard to tell. The scouting report on him is that he has a beautiful swing but he has only shown modest power for a corner man in the minors. Although we've seen moderate power hitters in the minors get helped out by the move to Coors Field. Pretty hard to predict what he will produce in his rookie year, but long term I believe his ceiling is Ryan Zimmerman or Aramis Ramirez (annual average of 25/90 .285).
Image
Montana168
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

User avatar

Posts: 1458
Joined: 12 Apr 2007
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Nolan Arenado

Postby Havok1517 » Sat Feb 16, 2013 9:12 pm

Montana168 wrote:IF he wins the job out of Spring Training, I think he would fall right below the Moustakas/Machado/Middlebrooks tier. Although maybe a good argument that he belongs in the tier with those 3, but at best should be drafted right after those 3.

In terms of upside, hard to tell. The scouting report on him is that he has a beautiful swing but he has only shown modest power for a corner man in the minors. Although we've seen moderate power hitters in the minors get helped out by the move to Coors Field. Pretty hard to predict what he will produce in his rookie year, but long term I believe his ceiling is Ryan Zimmerman or Aramis Ramirez (annual average of 25/90 .285).


I that is fairly generous. I'd probably put him the top 20 3Bs. I've personally always thought his bat was a little slow through the zone which I think will make it hard for him to catch up to legit MLB fastballs. I'd probably put him in the same class as Lonnie Chisenhall or Kevin Youkilis this season. I would be that surprised to see Trevor Story push him at 3B during some point as well.
Havok1517
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
CafeholicCafe Writer
Posts: 8520
(Past Year: 124)
Joined: 8 Mar 2004
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Nolan Arenado

Postby BigLebowski » Sun Feb 17, 2013 2:33 am

I've never bought into the hype when it comes to him being fantasy relevant. I just don't see the power. Unless the Rockies can put him in the middle of a high scoring lineup I don't see how he is ever really rosterable in a 12 team league. 20 HR power TOPs for a 3B in an otherwise weak lineup isn't a guy I'm even considering, especially until he has shown he can even do that. If I'm gonna gamble on a player it is gonna be on someone with a higher upside than what he has.
Image
BigLebowski
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
CafeholicCafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter
Posts: 8264
(Past Year: 473)
Joined: 17 Nov 2003
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: QUACK-QUACK....GO DUCKS!

Re: Nolan Arenado

Postby fsbarren » Sun Feb 17, 2013 4:42 am

I'm having trouble with the IF part of winning the 3B job out of spring training. Unless he's something out of this world (and even then), I just don't think he'll start that soon.

If he makes the bigs this season, I'd guess it'b more along the lines of a June call up, and even then there might be a learning curve similar to what he has in AA (though he he figured things out and really raked). In short, I don't think the Rockies will force the issue with him

For that reason, I couldn't place him with Moustakas/Machado/Middlebrooks. Definitely lower, but I'm betting on a later arrival and a learning curve.

Good luck.
fsbarren
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

User avatar

Posts: 596
(Past Year: 192)
Joined: 11 Feb 2013
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Nolan Arenado

Postby HighHeater » Sun Feb 17, 2013 11:40 pm

Havok1517 wrote:
Montana168 wrote:IF he wins the job out of Spring Training, I think he would fall right below the Moustakas/Machado/Middlebrooks tier. Although maybe a good argument that he belongs in the tier with those 3, but at best should be drafted right after those 3.

In terms of upside, hard to tell. The scouting report on him is that he has a beautiful swing but he has only shown modest power for a corner man in the minors. Although we've seen moderate power hitters in the minors get helped out by the move to Coors Field. Pretty hard to predict what he will produce in his rookie year, but long term I believe his ceiling is Ryan Zimmerman or Aramis Ramirez (annual average of 25/90 .285).


I that is fairly generous. I'd probably put him the top 20 3Bs. I've personally always thought his bat was a little slow through the zone which I think will make it hard for him to catch up to legit MLB fastballs. I'd probably put him in the same class as Lonnie Chisenhall or Kevin Youkilis this season. I would be that surprised to see Trevor Story push him at 3B during some point as well.


Wouldn't that make him strikeout more then he hardly does? Most reports i have read was the bat speed was legit which allows him to fight off balls in and allows him to maintain a low strikeout rate... this kid hardly K's... im not really buying the slow argument, i think his main focus should be on putting more spin and loft on the ball with an adjustment to his swing. He has below average power right now for a corner IF but that can be remedied with practice (i hope for his sake)
Image
HighHeater
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

User avatar

Posts: 374
(Past Year: 3)
Joined: 23 Feb 2010
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Nolan Arenado

Postby Havok1517 » Mon Feb 18, 2013 1:03 am

HighHeater wrote:
Havok1517 wrote:
Montana168 wrote:IF he wins the job out of Spring Training, I think he would fall right below the Moustakas/Machado/Middlebrooks tier. Although maybe a good argument that he belongs in the tier with those 3, but at best should be drafted right after those 3.

In terms of upside, hard to tell. The scouting report on him is that he has a beautiful swing but he has only shown modest power for a corner man in the minors. Although we've seen moderate power hitters in the minors get helped out by the move to Coors Field. Pretty hard to predict what he will produce in his rookie year, but long term I believe his ceiling is Ryan Zimmerman or Aramis Ramirez (annual average of 25/90 .285).


I that is fairly generous. I'd probably put him the top 20 3Bs. I've personally always thought his bat was a little slow through the zone which I think will make it hard for him to catch up to legit MLB fastballs. I'd probably put him in the same class as Lonnie Chisenhall or Kevin Youkilis this season. I would be that surprised to see Trevor Story push him at 3B during some point as well.


Wouldn't that make him strikeout more then he hardly does? Most reports i have read was the bat speed was legit which allows him to fight off balls in and allows him to maintain a low strikeout rate... this kid hardly K's... im not really buying the slow argument, i think his main focus should be on putting more spin and loft on the ball with an adjustment to his swing. He has below average power right now for a corner IF but that can be remedied with practice (i hope for his sake)


It depends on the approach. If you cheats due to lack of bat speed you can still make contact and avoid strikeouts but it saps potential power and handicaps a true swing. I mean you can put a ball in play on 90+ mph heater by cheating the barrel of the bat through the zone early, it just won't go as far without a powerful swing.

Slow
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hCmGV3dDaQI

Medium
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sntVpVA45QA

Fast
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rog78wwpNqY
Havok1517
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
CafeholicCafe Writer
Posts: 8520
(Past Year: 124)
Joined: 8 Mar 2004
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Nolan Arenado

Postby J35J » Mon Feb 18, 2013 12:58 pm

Havok1517 wrote:
HighHeater wrote:
Havok1517 wrote:
I that is fairly generous. I'd probably put him the top 20 3Bs. I've personally always thought his bat was a little slow through the zone which I think will make it hard for him to catch up to legit MLB fastballs. I'd probably put him in the same class as Lonnie Chisenhall or Kevin Youkilis this season. I would be that surprised to see Trevor Story push him at 3B during some point as well.


Wouldn't that make him strikeout more then he hardly does? Most reports i have read was the bat speed was legit which allows him to fight off balls in and allows him to maintain a low strikeout rate... this kid hardly K's... im not really buying the slow argument, i think his main focus should be on putting more spin and loft on the ball with an adjustment to his swing. He has below average power right now for a corner IF but that can be remedied with practice (i hope for his sake)


It depends on the approach. If you cheats due to lack of bat speed you can still make contact and avoid strikeouts but it saps potential power and handicaps a true swing. I mean you can put a ball in play on 90+ mph heater by cheating the barrel of the bat through the zone early, it just won't go as far without a powerful swing.

Slow
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hCmGV3dDaQI

Medium
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sntVpVA45QA

Fast
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rog78wwpNqY


I'm not arguing one way or another but you can't really compare 2 guys taking batting practice to 1 guy hitting live in a game.
J35J
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly Winner
Posts: 10467
(Past Year: 369)
Joined: 26 Jan 2004
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Nolan Arenado

Postby Havok1517 » Mon Feb 18, 2013 2:42 pm

J35J wrote:
Havok1517 wrote:
HighHeater wrote:
Wouldn't that make him strikeout more then he hardly does? Most reports i have read was the bat speed was legit which allows him to fight off balls in and allows him to maintain a low strikeout rate... this kid hardly K's... im not really buying the slow argument, i think his main focus should be on putting more spin and loft on the ball with an adjustment to his swing. He has below average power right now for a corner IF but that can be remedied with practice (i hope for his sake)


It depends on the approach. If you cheats due to lack of bat speed you can still make contact and avoid strikeouts but it saps potential power and handicaps a true swing. I mean you can put a ball in play on 90+ mph heater by cheating the barrel of the bat through the zone early, it just won't go as far without a powerful swing.

Slow
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hCmGV3dDaQI

Medium
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sntVpVA45QA

Fast
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rog78wwpNqY


I'm not arguing one way or another but you can't really compare 2 guys taking batting practice to 1 guy hitting live in a game.


I guess that is true. I posted the 2 guys because it was at the same venue. Baez wasn't there but wanted to show his bat speed.
Havok1517
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
CafeholicCafe Writer
Posts: 8520
(Past Year: 124)
Joined: 8 Mar 2004
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Nolan Arenado

Postby Izenhart » Mon Feb 18, 2013 9:19 pm

Baez reminds me a little of Gary Sheffield.
Izenhart
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

User avatar

Posts: 1611
(Past Year: 293)
Joined: 22 Mar 2012
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Big Papiville


Return to Baseball Leftovers

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 8 guests

Forums Articles & Tips Sleepers Rankings Leagues


  • Fantasy Baseball
  • Article Submissions
  • Privacy Statement
  • Site Survey 
  • Contact