Advice on regulating pitching? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Commissioner's Corner

Advice on regulating pitching?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Advice on regulating pitching?

Postby jonboycubs » Fri Feb 15, 2013 1:01 pm

I run a 16 team h2h points league and we are currently in our 3rd year and things are going well. Last year though we had some teams that horded pitchers. As it was not agianst the rules it was fine and legit, but I kind of see it as throwing the balance off for the league so other teams rely more on relief pitchers.

As I have it set now there are 3 roster spots for pitchers, 4 for starters, and 3 for relievers. We also have a 12 limit and teams must carry at least 3 pithers whose primary job is relief.

What some teams would do is use all of the 6 bench spots for pitchers, leaving none for batters. Now every position must have an active player in them. A team should be free to do whatever they want with thier bench spots as it is their team and I do not want to micromanage or impose too many rules. Even though you can only have 12 starts teams would hang onto the pitchers they have and just pick and choose between favorable matchups. Some teams would only have 3 or 4 starts in a week and just rely on relief guys.

This year I wanted to make 7 starter slots and 3 relief spots, while setting a max of 8 starters and 4 relievers you could have on your team at one time, which gives two bench for pitchers and leaving the other 4 for batters. This really does not work though as a lot of pitchers have the tag of starter and reliever and if would count to the limit of both a team could have. My thinking was that it might make it more strategic, but there some disagreement over this as you can not please everyone.

They are saying that doing this would make it less strategic as I said it would make it more when it came to relievers as teams might not be so willy nilly in dropping and adding the streaming of relief pitcher. They are also saying having bench for batters is a waste of bench space as I do not get that one at all. You can play a not so good battter against a pitcher he has been known to hit well against, plus you got guys who have days off and injuries and all that.

Am I overthinkig this, do you have any suggestions as they would be greatly appreciated. I also thought of just saying 10 pitcher slots but you must have 3 bench for batters and 3 for pitchers, thanks agian.
"I was taught you never, ever disrespect your opponent or your teammates or your organization or your manager and never, ever your uniform." Ryne Sandberg
jonboycubs
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Response Team
(Past Year: 1094)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Advice on regulating pitching?

Postby murph3699 » Fri Feb 15, 2013 1:13 pm

I ran into a similar problem a few years back in my league (16 teams H2H categories). What we did was have a four starter limit per day and nine overall starters on the active roster. We also added an extra OF and U spot the lineups because teams that ended up with little starting pitching ended up with too many hitters on the bench. This forced the pitching hoarders to stop hoarding pitchers and grab two more hitters for the active roster. It helped balance the rosters and the league has been better because of it.

I'd say the majority of teams carry the max limit of starting pitchers and some even grab RP/SP eligible guys to get an advantage (but not enough to ruin the league). We use CBS so we can't limit starts or IP but the restrictions we have in place seem to work because no one wants to stream when there are only #4-5 type starters on the free agent list.

My league settings: 16 teams, mixed H2H Categories
C, 1B, 2B, SS, 3B, OF (4), DH, U, SP (4), RP (3), BN (7) DL (5) Minors (4)
OBP, SLG, R, RBI, SB, HR W, QS, K, S, ERA, WHIP
murph3699
Little League Legend
Little League Legend

(Past Year: 3)

Postby jonboycubs » Fri Feb 15, 2013 1:22 pm

I like that idea, so basically you took away 2 bench spots, and added a UTIL and OF roster slot. That could be a really nice and uncomplicated fix. I have a 31 man roster which i feel is a little much someimes but it works, thanks for advice
"I was taught you never, ever disrespect your opponent or your teammates or your organization or your manager and never, ever your uniform." Ryne Sandberg
jonboycubs
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Response Team

Postby jonboycubs » Fri Feb 15, 2013 1:29 pm

I guess I also feel like as that would leave 4 bench spots teams should use some for batters and not all pitchers, but at the end of the day how a team runs their team is their job. Like I said I do not want to micro manage.

I am not quite sure about the 4 starter limit per day and 9 overall as I am not sure how I could regulate that in espn unless i watched over every team with spyglasses, or am I understanding wrong?
jonboycubs
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Response Team

Postby murph3699 » Fri Feb 15, 2013 1:30 pm

We basically have an active daily lineup that requires 4 SPs. That doesn't mean they have to be pitching that day, it just means that slot has to be filled. If you have 5 SPs that day, pick the best 4. The roster max should be easy enough to pick as a setting I'd assume in any league format.

In a perfect world (for $150) CBS would allow for IP or starts restrictions :-o

It has worked well. The pitcher hoarders have to allocate two more roster spots for hitters and can't carry more than 9 active SPs. DL and minors don't count. If they want to carry a RP/SP guy (beyond the 9 SP max) they have to insert him in a RP slot. That way they take away the potential for saves. Its not a huge penalty but you can't always legislate everything.
murph3699
Little League Legend
Little League Legend

(Past Year: 3)

Postby jonboycubs » Fri Feb 15, 2013 1:40 pm

No you can not regulate everything, people will always find a way around a rule. I have 3 slots that can have any pitcher, 4 that can have just starting pitchers, and then the 3 for Relief.

If a team must carry at least 3 relievers whose primary job is relief, then that leaves, if I use your suggestion, 7 spots for starters, and if they use the 4 bench spots left then they can cram 11 starters on thier team, which all in all does not sound to bad.

Then they could still stream thier relievers if they wanted which I do not mind too much, allthough it seems like cheap points sometimes. Plus there is a 7 day player pick up limit per matchup. I should have come here sooner I have been racking my brain over this one, lol
jonboycubs
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Response Team

Postby jonboycubs » Fri Feb 15, 2013 2:06 pm

This is how I think I will run the poll in my leage

OF is too thin to really add another spot there, so one of these three could be done

1.Add two UTIL spots and take away two bench spots
or
2.Add one UTIL spot and still take away two bench spots giving us a 30 man roster, I would also add a DL spot for the extra slot i took away
or
3.Add one UTIL spot, take away a bench spot, and have teams carry 4 relievers.

That could be put to a vote which one we use, but either way, if we have 10 pitching slots and 4 bench left over. If a team chooses to use all his bench for pitchers he can have no more than 11 starters at one time, since a team must have 3 relievers. If it is made 4 relievers then it would be no more then 10 starters at one time.
jonboycubs
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Response Team

Return to Commissioner's Corner