Fight for playing time - Oakland A's - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Fight for playing time - Oakland A's

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Fight for playing time - Oakland A's

Postby Sticky Spice » Thu Feb 14, 2013 1:16 pm

How do you see the playing time situation working out in Oakland? Go ahead and guess at bats, where they'll qualify (5 games), projections, platoons, most likely lineup, winners, losers, injury risks, mid-season recalls, more moves coming before end of spring? Whatever you want.

1B -
2B -
SS -
3B -
CF -
LF -
RF -
DH -

Some of the players in the mix - Yoenis, Reddick, Moss, CYoung, Crisp, Donaldson, Lowrie, SSmith, JWeeks, Nakajima...

Feel free to share your opinions, even if you're an idiot.
“Most men lead lives of quiet desperation and go to the grave with the song still in them.” --Henry David Thoreau
Sticky Spice
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafe Musketeer
(Past Year: 42)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Fight for playing time - Oakland A's

Postby SpecialFNK » Thu Feb 14, 2013 4:55 pm

Sticky Spice wrote:Feel free to share your opinions, even if you're an idiot.

woohoo, I can play!

I'll throw out who I think are the starters.
1B - Brandon Moss.
2B - Jed Lowrie
SS - Hiroyuki Nakajima
3B - Scott Sizemore
CF - Coco Crisp
LF - Yoenis Cespedes
RF - Josh Reddick
DH - Seth Smith/Chris Young
CA- John Jaso

1B Moss could sit against some/most left handed pitchers. maybe Daric Barton can play in those situations. eventhough he is also left handed, he has better numbers against LHP in most seasons. personally I would like to see Moss get a majority of the playing time at 1B, even against LHP.

I think Scott Sizemore can/will win out at 3B. he showed in 2011 with Oakland what potential he has. Sizemore could also switch with Lowie, with Lowrie at 3B and Sizemore at 2B. Lowrie looks to be injury prone, so if/when he gets injured Jemile Weeks can come off the bench and play 2B.

it looks like it could be a LH/RH platoon at DH with Smith and Young. Seth Smith can play against RHP, and Chris Young can play against LHP.

maybe a lineup something like this.
1- Crisp
2- Lowrie
3- Reddick
4- Cespedes
5- Moss
6- Smith/Young
7- Sizemore
8- Jaso
9- Nakajima
SpecialFNK
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert
(Past Year: 103)

Postby Havok1517 » Thu Feb 14, 2013 8:40 pm

Here is mine...

1B - Moss
2B - Green - A's manager Bob Melvin said he plans to give Grant Green "an extended look" at second base in spring training.
SS - Nakajima
3B - Lowrie
CF - Crisp
LF - Cespedes
RF - Reddick
DH - Smith
C: Jaso/Norris

I think there is some excess and valuable pieces that I would not be surprised to see change hands. I think Weeks could seriously use a change of scenery and if Young rebounds I wouldn't be surprised to see Crisp dealt as well. Maybe for a potential 1B power bat that could regulate Smith and Moss to the bench.
Havok1517
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe Writer
(Past Year: 119)

Postby Sticky Spice » Thu Feb 14, 2013 11:05 pm

I posted this because I am trying to figure out what to do with Brandon Moss. I think he's a pretender and could easily lose his job. Heck, he's already a platoon guy. I wouldn't be surprised to see Lowrie at first or something like that.

Good call back there on Sizemore. I had kinda forgotten about him because I thought he was still injured and I forgot that 3B was a position he plays.
“Most men lead lives of quiet desperation and go to the grave with the song still in them.” --Henry David Thoreau
Sticky Spice
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafe Musketeer

Postby SpecialFNK » Thu Feb 14, 2013 11:16 pm

Sticky Spice wrote:I posted this because I am trying to figure out what to do with Brandon Moss. I think he's a pretender and could easily lose his job. Heck, he's already a platoon guy. I wouldn't be surprised to see Lowrie at first or something like that.

certainly possible.

he strikes out a lot.
2012- 30.4 %
2012 AAA - 17.9 %
11 AAA - 25.1 %
10 AAA - 21.2 %

he has had opportunities in the majors before, with Boston and Pittsburgh. he had a full season with Pittsburgh back in 2009. he's not a prospect anymore, now 29 years old.
SpecialFNK
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert

Postby Havok1517 » Fri Feb 15, 2013 12:09 am

Michael Taylor is taking ground balls at first base this spring to increase his versatility.
"I'm just trying to be as versatile as possible, and if I can do that hopefully create more value for myself," said Taylor, who has never played first base as a pro. The 27-year old is following the lead of teammate Brandon Moss, who made the same transition last season. Taylor has had some success in the minor leagues, but it has yet to translate in the majors. Increasing his versatility only stands to help the former top prospect.
rotoworld
Havok1517
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe Writer
(Past Year: 119)

Postby Sticky Spice » Sat Feb 16, 2013 1:37 pm

And now this from Rotoworld as well...

According to the San Francisco Chronicle, the Athletics could give Seth Smith an extended look at first base.
Smith only plays against right-handed pitching, so he wouldn't be a platoon option with Brandon Moss, but the versatility might increase his playing time. The Athletics are also giving Michael Taylor an extended look at first base in spring training.
Sticky Spice
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafe Musketeer

Postby MashinSpuds » Sun Feb 17, 2013 11:52 am

Sticky Spice wrote:I posted this because I am trying to figure out what to do with Brandon Moss. I think he's a pretender and could easily lose his job. Heck, he's already a platoon guy. I wouldn't be surprised to see Lowrie at first or something like that.

I figure if the A's were willing to give Jonny Gomes and Jack Cust a decent chance, they're likely still in the market for a big swinger to knock in whoever can actually get on base (top of the order). I say that Moss is in the lineup somewhere, whether it's at 1B or DH.
MashinSpuds
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe WriterCafe RankerEagle EyeCafecaster
(Past Year: 109)

Postby Izenhart » Sun Feb 17, 2013 8:38 pm

MashinSpuds wrote:

I figure if the A's were willing to give Jonny Gomes and Jack Cust a decent chance, they're likely still in the market for a big swinger to knock in whoever can actually get on base (top of the order). I say that Moss is in the lineup somewhere, whether it's at 1B or DH.

I agree with this, Moss couldn't have been more productive in his time in AAA or with the A's last year, and I think he's got the job to himself until he falls flat, but I don't expect him to. I don't think he's going to be a stud by any means, but i am expecting 2012 Josh Reddick type numbers if given the ABs.
Izenhart
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 301)

Postby SpecialFNK » Tue Mar 12, 2013 7:40 pm

I haven't been following players in Oakland, but does anyone know how things are shaking up for Oakland?

I was just noticing Jemile Weeks spring numbers. it's only 4 games and 11 AB, but impressive?
.545/.538 /1.000/1.538/

Lowrie also impressive. 10 games and 24 AB.
.375/.483/.708/1.191

Donaldson. not so impressive. 10 games and 25 AB.
.080/.207/.080/.287

Sizemore. also not impressive. 10 games and 21 AB.
.143/.345/.143/.488

how much are spring numbers going to matter?
could things turn out to be Lowrie at 3B and Weeks at 2B?
SpecialFNK
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers