Yu Darvish apparently a fantasy ace? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Yu Darvish apparently a fantasy ace?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: Yu Darvish apparently a fantasy ace?

Postby bayside » Fri Feb 15, 2013 1:40 am

Ok so on Mock Draft Central I see hes being taken as the 9th SP off the board which does seem too high. Interestingly though, his ADP is a few picks lower than it is on Yahoo

EDIT - holy crap! Curtis Grandersons ADP on MDC is currently 12.
Im the hugest Grandy believer on this site but wow, is that just a sample size issue or are you guys really taking him at the first turn?
bayside
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby PlayingWithFire » Fri Feb 15, 2013 1:45 am

AussieDodger wrote:Yeah Darvish isn't anywhere near that top level of Hamels/Verlander/Felix

He is one skill away from getting there, his BB/9 of 4.19 wasn't up to scratch.
His K/9 (10.4) and limiting of XBH were ace-like, so if he can repeat those and weigh in with a BB/9 of around 2.5......... $$$$

First year in the US, cut him some slack. Gio controlled his walk a bit last year and he was fantastic. Darvish doesn't have that far to go. Hamels in front of that Phillies defense might not be pretty.
Are you interested in joining a 28 teams dynasty league? If so, PM me.
PlayingWithFire
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby GiantsFan14 » Fri Feb 15, 2013 1:48 am

bayside wrote:Ok so on Mock Draft Central I see hes being taken as the 9th SP off the board which does seem too high. Interestingly though, his ADP is a few picks lower than it is on Yahoo

Im the hugest Grandy believer on this site but wow, is that just a sample size issue or are you guys really taking him at the first turn?

I've got Grandy 17th overall. Can't see taking him over any of the guys I have ahead of him so 12 seems kinda silly.
@FBC_GiantsFan14 on Twitter
GiantsFan14
Baseball Scribe
Baseball Scribe

EditorCafeholicResponse TeamCafe WriterGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 453)

Postby ayebatter » Fri Feb 15, 2013 2:32 am

GiantsFan14 wrote:
bayside wrote:Ok so on Mock Draft Central I see hes being taken as the 9th SP off the board which does seem too high. Interestingly though, his ADP is a few picks lower than it is on Yahoo

I've got Grandy 17th overall. Can't see taking him over any of the guys I have ahead of him so 12 seems kinda silly.

I took him at #19 in pondscum this morning, and I'm a Darvish believer but not over Hamels/Cain.
So-Cal 25 Club _762_
ayebatter

ModeratorCafeholicResponse TeamMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 1440)

Postby AussieDodger » Fri Feb 15, 2013 8:59 am

PlayingWithFire wrote:
AussieDodger wrote:Yeah Darvish isn't anywhere near that top level of Hamels/Verlander/Felix

He is one skill away from getting there, his BB/9 of 4.19 wasn't up to scratch.
His K/9 (10.4) and limiting of XBH were ace-like, so if he can repeat those and weigh in with a BB/9 of around 2.5......... $$$$

First year in the US, cut him some slack. Gio controlled his walk a bit last year and he was fantastic. Darvish doesn't have that far to go. Hamels in front of that Phillies defense might not be pretty.

I thought my slack-giving was quite reasonable :-b

Three skills... repeat two, improve one, become ace. :-D
AussieDodger
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterEagle Eye
(Past Year: 16)

Postby Tex34 » Sat Mar 16, 2013 12:38 pm

Darvish will finish top-3 in AL Cy Young voting in 2013. Mark my words. :)

He's completely under-appreciated because it took him 2/3rds of his rookie season to adjust to American baseball. Rarely do you see a pitcher turn the corner as clearly and deliberately as Darvish did in August -- and there are plenty of articles out there explaining how he did it.

He may not crack the elite trio of Kershaw/Verlander/Price yet, but Darvish is definitely worthy of being lumped into the next tier. The risk is worth the higher ceiling compared to Sabathia, Cain, etc., who have settled into their statistical norms and are less likely to light up the fantasy world with a mind-blowing career year.

Its a fascinating trade-off.
Tex34
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby Ender » Sat Mar 16, 2013 2:02 pm

There is very little upside in Darvish over someone like Hamels or Cain and just a lot more risk. Also really temper expectations trying to base a breakout out on the last month of a season. How much of it is him finding something and how much of it is half the teams having given up and playing scrubs by then.
Ender
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert

Postby Tex34 » Sat Mar 16, 2013 2:48 pm

Ender wrote:There is very little upside in Darvish over someone like Hamels or Cain and just a lot more risk. Also really temper expectations trying to base a breakout out on the last month of a season. How much of it is him finding something and how much of it is half the teams having given up and playing scrubs by then.

It wasn't just a month, it was his last 8 games (25% of the year). Five of those games were against either TB, DET, or LAA. He had to learn how to throw a different baseball against a more stingy strike zone, so there's not a lot of reason to brush it off as luck. All of the stats show he made a huge improvement in control as the season went on. This isn't some has-been prospect who had a hot stretch at age 29.
Tex34
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby Ender » Sat Mar 16, 2013 5:37 pm

Yes but he was the 40th best SP or so until those last 8 starts. You can't just magically ignore the rest of the season. I have seen him drafted over Hamels in almost every 'expert' draft I've looked at, it just isn't worth it.
Ender
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert

Postby bayside » Sat Mar 16, 2013 7:22 pm

Maybe the "experts" just dont know wtf they are doing?
In all the mocks I've done, he has not gone before Hamels a single time.
bayside
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers