What's the point of Corner/Middle infielders? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Beginner's Forum

What's the point of Corner/Middle infielders?

What's the point of Corner/Middle infielders?

Postby Eric21ND » Wed Feb 13, 2013 10:23 pm

Expanding the roster like this for fantasy baseball has always bothered me. What do you guys think?
Eric21ND
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Home Cafe: Football

Re: What's the point of Corner/Middle infielders?

Postby GiantsFan14 » Wed Feb 13, 2013 11:11 pm

Eric21ND wrote:Expanding the roster like this for fantasy baseball has always bothered me. What do you guys think?

Basically to increase the number of players used and make the league deeper, theoretically making the game more skill intensive. I use it in almost every league in conjunction with extra outfielders as I prefer deeper leagues.
@FBC_GiantsFan14 on Twitter
GiantsFan14
Baseball Scribe
Baseball Scribe

EditorCafeholicResponse TeamCafe WriterGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 427)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby jefferey13 » Thu Feb 14, 2013 12:20 am

Does expanding the league bother you or do you not understand the grouping of corner and middle infielders?
jefferey13
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Eric21ND » Fri Feb 15, 2013 2:15 pm

jefferey13 wrote:Does expanding the league bother you or do you not understand the grouping of corner and middle infielders?

I'd rather go for realism and field a real baseball team with a DH.
Eric21ND
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby Eric21ND » Fri Feb 15, 2013 2:18 pm

GiantsFan14 wrote:
Eric21ND wrote:Expanding the roster like this for fantasy baseball has always bothered me. What do you guys think?

Basically to increase the number of players used and make the league deeper, theoretically making the game more skill intensive. I use it in almost every league in conjunction with extra outfielders as I prefer deeper leagues.

Couldn't you accomplish the same premise just by expanding the number of teams in a league? I've always played in large leagues (18-20) teams with 8 position players and a DH.
Eric21ND
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby RotoValue » Fri Feb 15, 2013 3:21 pm

Eric21ND wrote:Couldn't you accomplish the same premise just by expanding the number of teams in a league? I've always played in large leagues (18-20) teams with 8 position players and a DH.

Yes, having a larger league could address the depth question. But also it means getting more owners, and good, active owners can be hard to find.

Also I think the original Rotisserie League baseball roster sizes were modeled on an MLB team: one starter at each position, but then an extra corner IF, an extra middle IF, 1-2 extra OF, and an extra catcher. Of course in fantasy leagues, teams typically get starter production from all these slots, but in a deep enough league, it would revert to teams needing to start part-time or backup players in some of the extra slots.
RotoValue
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby oscar15 » Sat Feb 16, 2013 8:51 pm

Fantasy Baseball is intended to be fun so whatever you and your league mates enjoy is the system you should use

However, I do have an explanation for why you add additional players in fanatasy leagues

If you simply start the same lineup the pros use, in a 12 team league you would only be starting 40% of the available starters from MLB. This makes your draft less important than Free Agent moves and Waiver Claims throughout the season.

In addition, if you use a "DH" and only allow players with "DH" eligibility to fill it; you have greatly inflated the value of the DH in your league.

As you suggested, the more teams you have in the league, the closer you can come to using "authentic" lineups.

We attempt to keep our "taken" players between 400-420 regardless of the size of our league.
If God does not like the way I'm living my life, he can tell me himself.
oscar15
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 27)

Return to Beginner's Forum