100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

2013's "Jose Bautista"

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: 2013's "Jose Bautista"

Postby OBPlover » Thu Feb 14, 2013 1:02 am

bayside wrote:
OBPlover wrote:
As far as top prospects, just remember at one point Mike Piazza was basically unwanted. Evaluate stats and not scouting reports.

Thats completely besides the point. in 1992 Piazza was one of the top prospects in all of baseball. He destroyed both AA and AAA. And then went on to crush MLB pitching in his rookie 1993 season.
Draft status =/= prospect status.

That's your definition.

A prospect begins upon being drafted - as they progress throughout the minor leagues, their status as a prospect changes.

What's the big deal anyways?
OBPlover
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 133)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby bayside » Thu Feb 14, 2013 1:40 am

OBPlover wrote:
bayside wrote:
OBPlover wrote:
As far as top prospects, just remember at one point Mike Piazza was basically unwanted. Evaluate stats and not scouting reports.

Thats completely besides the point. in 1992 Piazza was one of the top prospects in all of baseball. He destroyed both AA and AAA. And then went on to crush MLB pitching in his rookie 1993 season.

What do you mean? How many guys drafted that late go on to become even good minor league players?

Im saying that in any of Bautista's MiLB seasons, he was never anywhere close to as good as Piazza in his best year. Bautista never had the prospect acclaim that Piazza did in '92. It doesnt matter where they are drafted. Good prospects are determined by their skill and on field performance.
And since the point of this entire thread is "finding the next Bautista", I was pointing out that Piazza's career was nothing like that of Bautista's as you alluded to in your post.

edit - looks like I quoted you before you edited your last post
bayside
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby bayside » Thu Feb 14, 2013 1:44 am

you edited your last post so I'll answer this one as well
OBPlover wrote:
bayside wrote:
OBPlover wrote:

That's your definition.

A prospect begins upon being drafted - as they progress throughout the minor leagues, their status as a prospect changes.

What's the big deal anyways?

Yes! thats exactly my point! And Piazza advanced to a level far surpassing any stauts that Bautista attained as a prospect. And then he went on to become a superstar almost immediately upon beginning hi MLB career. Bautista took years and years just land a full time job.
See the difference?

BTW good call on Chris Carter. If theres one guy i had to put money on hitting at least 40 HR while at least doubling his career season high, it would be him.
Last edited by bayside on Thu Feb 14, 2013 2:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
bayside
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby bayside » Thu Feb 14, 2013 1:55 am

Ender wrote:
bayside wrote:
OBPlover wrote:

Piazza was unwanted as a 1B. It took him changing to C in the minors to make him a real prospect.

Yes you are correect. Im not disputing that.
My point was that Piazzas career path was absolutely nothing like Bautista's regardless of where he was drafted.
The OP was not looking to find the next rookie sensation who destroyed the league in his first full season.
He asked about finding the next 30 year old journeyman who has never even held down a starting job, who then miraculously turns turns into one of the very best hitters in the game, bashing 124 HR's over the next 2 1/2 seasons.
You cant predict that.
As I said earlier its much easier to find the next post hype sleeper breakout, or rookie superstar (like Piazza)
bayside
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby Ender » Thu Feb 14, 2013 2:02 am

Oh i definitely agree Bautista and Piazza are nothing alike. I'd like to add that 20th+ round players become regular MLB players way more often than people think. Especially players from 20+ years ago when the evaluation of minor league players was just awful.
Ender
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert

Postby AussieDodger » Thu Feb 14, 2013 3:37 am

So you're looking for either someone who has had a change of scenery with new coaches ideas etc, or a player in his 3rd/4th season who has been mediocre and is frustrated into a new approach.

We should start a thread that keeps track of quotes about technique changes and coaching changes.
AussieDodger
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterEagle Eye
(Past Year: 19)

Postby Izenhart » Thu Feb 14, 2013 4:30 am

Homer Bailey seemed to put things together at the end of last year. i believe he is for real and will have a breakout season. I also have a hunch Brandon Moss' power is real, and with Carter now gone he looks to be in line for a full time gig. He's a real darkhorse for a 35-40 HR season. I agree Carter could also benefit from the trade and put up big numbers too.
Izenhart
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 299)

Postby NikkiSixx » Thu Feb 14, 2013 9:03 am

In my opinion, if Chris Carter gets full playing time he could easily hit 35 home runs. The rest of his offense might not be so good, but he certainly is good for power.
NikkiSixx
General Manager
General Manager

Response TeamPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 429)

Postby converge241 » Thu Feb 14, 2013 9:16 am

When I saw the title thought this was about predicting this years version of a 1st rounder who misses a chunk of time ;)

I like the Chris Carter thoughs, Houston will basically "have" to play him and maybe he finally clicks and just is a great power source
"I'm the man with the ball. I'm the man who can throw it faster than F***. So that's why I'm better than anyone in the world." - Kenny Powers
converge241
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: 98)

Postby converge241 » Fri Feb 15, 2013 6:38 pm

Just noticed today Astros REALLY have to go with Carter, out of options to be sent down
"I'm the man with the ball. I'm the man who can throw it faster than F***. So that's why I'm better than anyone in the world." - Kenny Powers
converge241
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: 98)

Previous

Return to Baseball Leftovers