Final keeper pick. Rank these three. WHIR! - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Draft, Trade, Keeper and Waivers Questions

Final keeper pick. Rank these three. WHIR!

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Final keeper pick. Rank these three. WHIR!

Postby dmbpanic » Wed Feb 13, 2013 7:33 pm

10-team Y! H2H standard 5x5 keeper league. We get to keep between 3(min) and 5(max) players each year, and a player can only be kept for 5 seasons before they have to go back into the draft. I have decided on my first four keepers and need some help with the last keeper. We have to submit our final keeper list tomorrow.

McCutcheon (2 years left)
Stanton (3 years left)
Strasburg (4 years left)
Hanley (4 years left)

Deciding between:
Gio Gonzalez (4 years left)
Billy Butler (4 years left)
BJ Upton (4 years left)

Upton: I am always enticed by Upton's upside and am curious to see how he will respond to a new ballpark/league, with his brother on the same team. I like the 20/40 stats he brings, but don't like how streaky he is (H2H) and do not like his BA. He's only played 3 games at Turner field, so not a lot of history. I don't like the idea of keeping 3 OF...the position is so deep.

Gio: Certainly a little nervous about the link to PEDs. Outside of that, I really like Gio. I like him as a NL pitcher and think he is set up really well on a stacked Nationals team. I expect a little regression from last year, but not too much. SPs tend to be valued higher in our league vs. a generic Yahoo league, so I like the idea of keeping 2 SPs and then focusing the early draft solely on offense. However, I wonder if the PED link will push down his value where I could redraft him at a cheaper price and keep Upton or Butler. We don't draft until the very end of March, so we may have more PED-related info on Gio by then (e.g. possible suspension?). However, keeper lists are due tomorrow.

Butler: I really like Butler and feel he is a safe commodity. I'm not sure if he will repeat his 2012, but his growth curve over the last several years indicates he could repeat, or even improve on it. He is 1B eligible for 2013. I really like the safety of his BA. I don't love that he plays such a deep position in a year where a lot of value can be found (Teix, Hosmer, Freeman, Davis, etc). Ultimately, he is probably the safest of the three options, but does he have the upside to justify being a keeper?

Thanks in advance for your feedback. Leave a link and I'll reply.
dmbpanic
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 15)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Final keeper pick. Rank these three. WHIR!

Postby GiantsFan14 » Wed Feb 13, 2013 7:44 pm

I have Upton and Butler ranked back to back with Gio a bit behind. I don't think you can go wrong with either of the first two but I'd probably go with Butler given that you're keeping two OF already and could probably use a bit of an average boost with Hanley and Stanton.
@FBC_GiantsFan14 on Twitter
GiantsFan14
Baseball Scribe
Baseball Scribe

EditorCafeholicResponse TeamCafe WriterGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 427)

Postby LARS929 » Wed Feb 13, 2013 8:06 pm

I would go with Butler based on a few things...

You are keeping two other OFs, so Upton would be a third which gets it a little overcrowded there. I also don't like the notion of keeping 2 pitchers unless they are absolutely elite.

I also think that Butler skill set as a solid all around player, except steals, will be getting steals from Hanley and McCutch anyways.
LARS929
College Coach
College Coach

Postby exm » Wed Feb 13, 2013 8:30 pm

Thanks for helping me. I would keep Uptown. Granted, your OF is full but that means you can start drafting your IF immediately.
exm
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 75)

Postby jonboycubs » Wed Feb 13, 2013 9:24 pm

"I was taught you never, ever disrespect your opponent or your teammates or your organization or your manager and never, ever your uniform." Ryne Sandberg
jonboycubs
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Response Team
(Past Year: 1094)

Postby BChinly » Wed Feb 13, 2013 9:53 pm

Upton and Butler, You've already got Strasburg locked up and if anything it will be easier to trade hitting for pitcher down the road
BChinly
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 116)

Postby ATLbraves » Wed Feb 13, 2013 10:34 pm

Maybe I'm crazy but I would drop Hanley and keep Billy Butler and BJ Upton.

Free Fantasy Consultant - https://twitter.com/FantasyChat247

Twitter - @FantasyChat247
ATLbraves
General Manager
General Manager

Postby HOOTIE » Wed Feb 13, 2013 11:10 pm

I like BJ, but ok with Butler
Smells Like Teen Spirit
HOOTIE
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 291)
Location: Pearl Jam country, right next door to Nirvana, Soundgarden, and Alice in Chains.

Postby plamb23 » Wed Feb 13, 2013 11:57 pm

I take Butler
plamb23
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Response Team
(Past Year: 271)

Postby Rance Mulliniks » Thu Feb 14, 2013 12:04 pm

Love your 1st 4 keepers (and no way would I throw Hanley back!). For the final keeper, I'd go Upton, with Butler close behind.
Mulliniks Watch: Still stuck on 1325 games 3569 AB 445 R 972 H 73 HR 435 RBI 0.272 AVG 15 SB
Rance Mulliniks
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly WinnerTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner
(Past Year: 27)

Return to Draft, Trade, Keeper and Waivers Questions