Trade Sandoval/Carlos Martinez for Profar? WHIR - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Draft, Trade, Keeper and Waivers Questions

Trade Sandoval/Carlos Martinez for Profar? WHIR

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Trade Sandoval/Carlos Martinez for Profar? WHIR

Postby LARS929 » Wed Feb 13, 2013 12:56 pm

I'm in a 12 team dynasty league where we have separate Minor and Major league rosters. Our Minor league rosters are 7 deep until we call up, and then can't be replaced until the off-season draft.

It's H2H with normal 5x5 with added BBs for hitters and K/BB for pitchers.

I would give up Pablo Sandoval and Minor Leaguer Carlos Martinez
I would get Jurickson Profar as a major leaguer.

My team:
C. Sal Perez
1B. Ryan Howard
2B. Howard Kendrick
3B. Miguel Cabrera
SS. Alcides Escobar
CI. Pablo Sandoval
MI. Erick Aybar
LF. Shane Victorino
CF. Bryce Harper
RF. Giancarlo Stanton
OF. Jay Bruce
OF. Nick Markakis
Util. David Ortiz
Bench. Nelson Cruz
Bench. Everth Cabrera
Bench. Emilio Bonifacio
Bench. Dee Gordon

SP: Zack Greinke, Brett Anderson, Hiroki Kuroda, Jon Lester, Homer Bailey, Chad Billingsley, Dan Straily
RP: Addison Reed, Chris Perez

Minor League team:
Zack Wheeler
Billy Hamilton
Nick Castellanos
Carlos Martinez
Tony Cingrani
LARS929
College Coach
College Coach

Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Trade Sandoval/Carlos Martinez for Profar? WHIR

Postby Brainstorm » Wed Feb 13, 2013 1:54 pm

I think you're overpaying a little bit here. Profar may not be up at the start of the year, at mid-year, maybe not at all, so to give up a risky but good when healthy 3B in Sandoval seems high. I'm also not as high on Profar as others, I think he may end up being a better real player than fantasy player.

Also, the fact he has to be a major leaguer and not a minor leaguer means you can't stash him, so he wastes a bench spot until he comes up for you.
Brainstorm
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Response Team
(Past Year: 249)

Postby dmbpanic » Wed Feb 13, 2013 7:54 pm

Tough call...but I lean for it, just barely.

Reasons not to do it: Pablo isn't old, and should be entering his prime. As long as he keeps his weight in check, he should be top 5-7 3B for another 4-5 years. Plus, Martinez has a lot of upside based on how he handled AA as a 20-yr old. You have some good SPs on your MiL roster, but based on your ML SP roster, I'm not sure I would want to give up any SPs.

Reasons to do it: Profar has the most upside of anyone in the trade, so if you get him, you theoretically win the trade. However, it would probably be 2 or 3 years before it really starts to pan out. Despite the Trout/Harper show last year, it's really tough for prospects to reach our expectations right away. However, your offense is so good, you can absorb the drop from Pablo to Profar for 2013 and 2014 and then you get maybe 10+ years of Profar outperforming Pablo by a mile. The caveat is that this is all based on potential...so it's really risky. The long-term reward is there if you are comfortable with the risk.

I do really like Martinez and would say if you do the deal, you need to try to replace the young, potential ace you are losing.

Help with mine? viewtopic.php?f=26&t=454481&p=3576765#p3576765
dmbpanic
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 15)

Postby GiantsFan14 » Wed Feb 13, 2013 7:59 pm

Brainstorm wrote:I think you're overpaying a little bit here. Profar may not be up at the start of the year, at mid-year, maybe not at all, so to give up a risky but good when healthy 3B in Sandoval seems high. I'm also not as high on Profar as others, I think he may end up being a better real player than fantasy player.

Also, the fact he has to be a major leaguer and not a minor leaguer means you can't stash him, so he wastes a bench spot until he comes up for you.

Sounds about right to me.
@FBC_GiantsFan14 on Twitter
GiantsFan14
Baseball Scribe
Baseball Scribe

EditorCafeholicResponse TeamCafe WriterGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 427)

Postby dmbpanic » Wed Feb 13, 2013 8:16 pm

The key to me is that it's a dynasty league. You aren't just playing for this year. Again, I think your current offense is strong enough to absorb the loss of Pablo, even if Profar only plays 2/3 of the year in Tex. I highly doubt he will be in AAA all year long. At most, I see him in AAA for 2 months so they can push back his arbitration clock. Even if you lose the trade in 2013, that doesn't mean you aren't a playoff-caliber team - and I think you win the trade in the long-run.

Just for kicks, here is what KLaw said about Profar last year:
Profar showed the selectivity of a player six or seven years his senior, outstanding instincts in the field and more power than anticipated in his full-season debut. Profar is a plus-makeup, plus-feel, plus-instincts guy who breaks the mold of that type of player by also having tremendous tools.

What KLaw said this year:
Profar is the best prospect in the minors this year thanks to an incredible combination of tools, skills, and baseball instincts rarely found in players who play in the middle of the field. His feel for the game is unusual for a player of any age. He has an outstanding approach at the plate that allowed him to make the two-level jump from low Class A to Double-A without losing much production, and he showed more power this year than I expected. A good defensive shortstop who posts OBPs around .400 and hits 15-20 homers a year is a player around whom you can build your roster, and who should help keep the Rangers in contention for the next decade.

Some may argue the defense only helps in real life, but I disagree. His defense helps in fantasy because it will keep him at SS for the long run, so you don't have to worry about a position change to 3B (Hanley) or CF (BJ Upton).
dmbpanic
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 15)

Postby MadDog36 » Fri Feb 15, 2013 2:17 am

Um he's giving up a CI and a catcher NO PITCHING!

Yes I would do that deal.
After doing the deal maybe dump one of your middling MI on your bench for another CI. Who would you play in place of Sandoval, you don't seem to have any CI on your bench.

What CI are available in FA?
Maybe you could pick up a veteran CI to hold the seat warm while you draft a good CI and wait on him. Maybe a Morneau, AGoz or Laroche (pref) would come cheaper than usual and could hold you over a couple years while you get a longer term option there.

I might consider packaging howard+bruce for a younger more polished 1b like a Freeman etc and maybe a lesser but solid CI like a Laroche/hart woulda been a great target if healthy), or another young upside play like a Frazier...?
Join My Roto Keeper League:
viewtopic.php?t=466433
MadDog36
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicResponse Team LeaderFantasy Expert
(Past Year: 1928)

Return to Draft, Trade, Keeper and Waivers Questions