H2H Keepers..Draft Pick Penalty - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Draft, Trade, Keeper and Waivers Questions

H2H Keepers..Draft Pick Penalty

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

H2H Keepers..Draft Pick Penalty

Postby didders515 » Wed Feb 13, 2013 10:31 am

I am in a 12 team H2H category league (R, HR, RBI, OPS, SB, TB & ERA, WHIP, QS, SV/HD, K, W, IP). We start (C, 1b, 2b, 3b, SS, 3 OF, UTIL) for batters.

All teams must keep 6 keepers, only one keeper can be in the first 3 rounds and it has to be 3 hitters and 3 pitchers. Who would you keep from this remaining list? WHIR!!

Joey Votto 1
Jered Weaver 3
Stephen Strasburg 4
Brett Lawrie 5
Jimmy Rollins 6
Joe Mauer 8
SS Choo 10
Billy Butler 12
Joe Nathan 13
Brandon Morrow 16
Marco Scutaro 17
Addison Reed 18
Justin Morneau 19
Ryan Vogelsong FA
Casey Jenssen FA
Hisashi Iwakuma FA
Wade Miley FA

I am leaning towards (Butler, Mauer, Choo) & (Strasburg, Weaver, Morrow), but what do you think? I don't know what position I will be drafting in yet and I don't know how many people will keep their first or second round pick...I feel that Butler will be servicable, so do I need 2 1b?
I like Weaver and Strasburg combo to shore up my pitching...but am looking for help!

Thanks
didders515 Beginner
College Coach
College Coach

(Past Year: 11)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: H2H Keepers..Draft Pick Penalty

Postby didders515 » Wed Feb 13, 2013 3:31 pm

Any thoughts?
didders515 Beginner
College Coach
College Coach

Postby lambo1203 » Wed Feb 13, 2013 3:45 pm

didders515 wrote:I am in a 12 team H2H category league (R, HR, RBI, OPS, SB, TB & ERA, WHIP, QS, SV/HD, K, W, IP). We start (C, 1b, 2b, 3b, SS, 3 OF, UTIL) for batters.

All teams must keep 6 keepers, only one keeper can be in the first 3 rounds and it has to be 3 hitters and 3 pitchers. Who would you keep from this remaining list? WHIR!!

Joey Votto 1 ;-D
Jered Weaver 3
Stephen Strasburg 4 ;-D
Brett Lawrie 5
Jimmy Rollins 6
Joe Mauer 8 ;-D
SS Choo 10 ;-D
Billy Butler 12
Joe Nathan 13 ;-D
Brandon Morrow 16 ;-D
Marco Scutaro 17
Addison Reed 18
Justin Morneau 19
Ryan Vogelsong FA
Casey Jenssen FA
Hisashi Iwakuma FA
Wade Miley FA

I am leaning towards (Butler, Mauer, Choo) & (Strasburg, Weaver, Morrow), but what do you think? I don't know what position I will be drafting in yet and I don't know how many people will keep their first or second round pick...I feel that Butler will be servicable, so do I need 2 1b?
I like Weaver and Strasburg combo to shore up my pitching...but am looking for help!

Thanks

Breaking two of my rules in keeping Nathan and Mauer, but with what your restrictions are, I think you have to go for them based on value. I love Votto this year and think he's easily the best player to keep. While Weaver had a great season, I buy into Stras more and think you could have a reasonable shot at getting Weaver again in the draft. I'd definitely keep the proven Votto over extremely questionable Butler.

Mine: viewtopic.php?f=29&t=454466
Image Thanks to GiantsFan14 for the sig
lambo1203
College Coach
College Coach

(Past Year: 26)

Postby didders515 » Thu Feb 14, 2013 5:26 pm

Its hard to let Butler go in the 12th round though. The problem is I would have a C and 2 1b if I kept Butler and Votto. I may be able to get Weaver again, but with Mike Trout being kept as a free agent and other possible 1st rounders being kept outside the first round, would I be stupid to let Votto go?
didders515 Beginner
College Coach
College Coach

Postby clarkdp2 » Thu Feb 14, 2013 5:54 pm

Let me get this straight. Only 1 keeper can be from rounds 1-3 so basically you have to choose between Weaver and Votto and then pick 5 other players totaling in 3 hitters and 3 batters?

If so I would go with

Votto, Lawrie, Rollins (Shore up the INF)
Strasburg, Morrow, Nathan/Reed

or

Lawrie, Rollins, Choo/Mauer
Weaver, Strasburg, Morrow
clarkdp2
College Coach
College Coach

Postby Billy_Ripken » Thu Feb 14, 2013 6:00 pm

lambo1203 wrote:
didders515 wrote:I am in a 12 team H2H category league (R, HR, RBI, OPS, SB, TB & ERA, WHIP, QS, SV/HD, K, W, IP). We start (C, 1b, 2b, 3b, SS, 3 OF, UTIL) for batters.

Joey Votto 1 ;-D
Jered Weaver 3
Stephen Strasburg 4 ;-D
Brett Lawrie 5
Jimmy Rollins 6
Joe Mauer 8 ;-D
SS Choo 10 ;-D
Billy Butler 12
Joe Nathan 13 ;-D
Brandon Morrow 16 ;-D
Marco Scutaro 17
Addison Reed 18
Justin Morneau 19
Ryan Vogelsong FA
Casey Jenssen FA
Hisashi Iwakuma FA
Wade Miley FA

Thanks

Breaking two of my rules in keeping Nathan and Mauer, but with what your restrictions are, I think you have to go for them based on value. I love Votto this year and think he's easily the best player to keep. While Weaver had a great season, I buy into Stras more and think you could have a reasonable shot at getting Weaver again in the draft. I'd definitely keep the proven Votto over extremely questionable Butler.

Mine: viewtopic.php?f=29&t=454466

I agree with this. Starting with Votto and Stras gives you top tier guys right off the bat. I would have no problem keeping Butler and basically plugging your Util spot right away if you prefer him over Mauer by a good margin. If you like them equally or even Butler just a little more, I would go with Mauer because that fills C and you still have flexibility to use Util however you want later in the draft. Given how many guys are being kept, the cost of 8th round pick vs. the cost of 12th round pick is not going to be a big difference in the grand scheme of things, so I don't weight that too much in this evaluation
Billy_Ripken
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby Pogotheostrich » Thu Feb 14, 2013 6:25 pm

Joey Votto 1
Choo 10
Billy Butler 12

Stephen Strasburg 4
Brandon Morrow 16
Addison Reed 18
Pogotheostrich
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 382)

Postby MadDog36 » Fri Feb 15, 2013 1:53 am

Joey Votto 1
SS Choo 10
Billy Butler 12
Brandon Morrow 16
Stephen Strasburg 4
Addison Reed 18
Join My Roto Keeper League:
viewtopic.php?t=466433
MadDog36
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicResponse Team LeaderFantasy Expert
(Past Year: 1992)

Postby didders515 » Sat Feb 16, 2013 1:13 am

So far the posted keepers are mig Cabrera kept in 1st, Mccutchen in 3rd, wright in 5th, bumgarner in 4th, posey in 10th, shields in 4th, Hamilton in 5th, latos 7th, sale, lynn , garcia as a free agent....does that change anyone's thoughts? Will help in return just post the link
didders515 Beginner
College Coach
College Coach

Postby fsbarren » Sat Feb 16, 2013 6:03 am

Joey Votto 1
SS Choo 10
Billy Butler 12

Stephen Strasburg 4
Brandon Morrow 16
Addison Reed 18

I think you need to keep Votto. Complemented with Choo in the 10th and Butler in the 12th, I think you're in good shape on hitting.

Strasburg is worth a 4th, and I think you're still getting value withe Morrow and Reed at 16/18 respectively. I think you'll be happy with your overall draft with this core and their cost.
fsbarren
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 192)

Return to Draft, Trade, Keeper and Waivers Questions