2013 CLOSERS THREAD - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

2013 CLOSERS THREAD

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: 2013 CLOSERS THREAD

Postby Element » Mon May 20, 2013 1:53 pm

Pythagoras wrote:Getting a little concerned with Jansen in LA. Mattingly over using him??

I wouldn't be. He's had poor location with the cutter recently. It'll get fixed.
Element
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 713)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Nerfherders » Mon May 20, 2013 4:07 pm

I watched the LA-ATL game yesterday and have to say neither Jansen or League looked good, but then again I'm not sure what Mattingly was trying to do there. He brought in Jansen with 2 outs in the 7th and had him come back in the 8th, and then he preceded to allow two base-runners before being changed out for League, with nobody out in the 8th inning. I don't think I've ever seen a modern bullpen used this way. Was he hoping League would get out of the 8th then someone else would close? Did he hope League could get six outs? Very weird. Neither one of them was helped very much by their defense either.

So basically I think the whole situation is a cluster. Your best bet is to have both of them, or neither one.
Nerfherders
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Cafe Writer
(Past Year: 4)

Postby SpecialFNK » Mon May 20, 2013 6:38 pm

Red Sox manager John Farrell does not want to use Andrew Bailey on back-to-back days for now.
Bailey was activated from the DL on Monday after missing a couple weeks with a biceps injury, and the team wants to ease him back into things. His fantasy owners would be wise to also stash Junichi Tazawa on their bench.
SpecialFNK
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert
(Past Year: 81)

Postby OBPlover » Mon May 20, 2013 10:00 pm

Well that's 3 straight blown saves for Jim Johnson in baltimore. I have to think he's on a short leash by now, given Baltimore being a contender.

Who replaces him? O'day?
OBPlover
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 118)

Postby Ender » Mon May 20, 2013 10:13 pm

OBPlover wrote:Well that's 3 straight blown saves for Jim Johnson in baltimore. I have to think he's on a short leash by now, given Baltimore being a contender.

Who replaces him? O'day?

I'd be surprised if he has a short leash but I think he definitely sits the next day or two so there is a shot to scavenge something and who knows, maybe he is hurt.
Ender
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert

Postby Maris09 » Mon May 20, 2013 10:14 pm

OBPlover wrote:Well that's 3 straight blown saves for Jim Johnson in baltimore. I have to think he's on a short leash by now, given Baltimore being a contender.

Who replaces him? O'day?

I'd say Strop with Hunter the dark horse.
Maris09
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafeholic
(Past Year: 8)

Postby SupaSLY11 » Mon May 20, 2013 10:41 pm

FWIW Qualls was warming for the save in the bottom of the 8th inning with Cishek and Dunn sitting. Qualls closed out the game albeit a non save situation as Miami scored 3 in the bottom of the 8th.

Rest day for Cishek or a change coming? Considering Qualls shaky history, any reason to have faith in him and make the add?
SupaSLY11
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

(Past Year: 1)
Home Cafe: Football

Postby BronXBombers51 » Mon May 20, 2013 10:44 pm

With O'Day already owned, I grabbed Strop after JJ blew that save. Then I watched Strop pitch and quickly dropped him for Hunter. Buck would be silly to let Strop have a shot IMO.
BronXBombers51
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Mock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 54)

Postby SpecialFNK » Mon May 20, 2013 11:47 pm

pick up all the Marlins relievers, they're going to use everybody.
Marlins manager Mike Redmond said he plans to use "everybody" at closer.
Michael Dunn saved Sunday's game and Chad Qualls was warming up during a save chance Monday before the Marlins extended their lead. Former full-time closer Steve Cishek holds a 4.91 ERA and 1.42 WHIP on the year and has struggled against left-handed batters. "We’re going to use Cishek. We’ll use Qualls. We haven’t had that many save opportunities. We need those guys to pitch. We need Cishek to go down there and log some innings. He’s still going to close games. Qualls might close some games. Dunn might close some games. We need these guys to pitch we need them to stay sharp. They’re all going to contribute."

or just stay away from all of them, seeing how they're not all that good, and the Marlins wont have many save chances anyway.

I wonder when everybody will be added to yahoo. I went and searched for "everybody" but nothing found.
I kid lol.
SpecialFNK
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert
(Past Year: 81)

Postby eneric » Tue May 21, 2013 9:31 am

SpecialFNK wrote:pick up all the Marlins relievers, they're going to use everybody.
Marlins manager Mike Redmond said he plans to use "everybody" at closer.
Michael Dunn saved Sunday's game and Chad Qualls was warming up during a save chance Monday before the Marlins extended their lead. Former full-time closer Steve Cishek holds a 4.91 ERA and 1.42 WHIP on the year and has struggled against left-handed batters. "We’re going to use Cishek. We’ll use Qualls. We haven’t had that many save opportunities. We need those guys to pitch. We need Cishek to go down there and log some innings. He’s still going to close games. Qualls might close some games. Dunn might close some games. We need these guys to pitch we need them to stay sharp. They’re all going to contribute."

or just stay away from all of them, seeing how they're not all that good, and the Marlins wont have many save chances anyway.

I wonder when everybody will be added to yahoo. I went and searched for "everybody" but nothing found.
I kid lol.

ha!!! You got to think Redmond is just pissed & speaking out of frustration right? If I picked up everybody then I'd have to drop everybody & that just blows my mind trying to think about it.
eneric
College Coach
College Coach

(Past Year: 32)

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers