Havok1517
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe Writer
(Past Year: 143)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: 2013 CLOSERS THREAD (PRE-SEASON)

Postby thedude » Mon Mar 11, 2013 12:48 am

Junichi Tazawa should be listed as a sleeper for Boston. He is a lot more likely to be a closer in Boston than Bard this season.
"I do not think baseball of today is any better than it was 30 years ago... I still think Radbourne is the greatest of the pitchers." John Sullivan 1914-Old athletes never change.
thedude
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 2)

Postby BChinly » Mon Mar 11, 2013 5:08 am

thedude wrote:Junichi Tazawa should be listed as a sleeper for Boston. He is a lot more likely to be a closer in Boston than Bard this season.

What about Bailey?
BChinly
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 116)

Postby thedude » Mon Mar 11, 2013 9:07 am

BChinly wrote:
thedude wrote:Junichi Tazawa should be listed as a sleeper for Boston. He is a lot more likely to be a closer in Boston than Bard this season.

What about Bailey?

I would think Bailey is probably second in line to be closer in Boston, right now. I also think think its possible that Bailey is traded to a team in search of a proven closer.
"I do not think baseball of today is any better than it was 30 years ago... I still think Radbourne is the greatest of the pitchers." John Sullivan 1914-Old athletes never change.
thedude
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 2)

Postby Pogotheostrich » Mon Mar 11, 2013 9:35 am

Havok1517 wrote:Cubs won’t trade Carlos Marmol soon, but it’s coming sometime
http://www.suntimes.com/sports/baseball ... etime.html

It isn't like they haven't been trying to trade him for the last year. First good offer they get I would imagine they jump at it.
Pogotheostrich
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 272)

Postby colt4523 » Tue Mar 12, 2013 5:45 pm

Perkins still the man in Minnesota or are we looking at a platoon with Burton?
90% of my posts are from complaining about my team :)
colt4523
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: 81)

Postby Frenchiegangsta9 » Wed Mar 13, 2013 4:29 pm

thedude wrote:
BChinly wrote:

What about Bailey?

I would think Bailey is probably second in line to be closer in Boston, right now. I also think think its possible that Bailey is traded to a team in search of a proven closer.

How bout Koji Uehara? He has excelled in the roughest of ballparks and divisions and would also provide great K's and ratios. Just have to wait and see if/WHEN Hanrahan implodes. I agree, Bailey isnt a likely option.
Frenchiegangsta9
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 14)

Postby Rance Mulliniks » Thu Mar 14, 2013 10:58 am

It's not yet clear in Toronto whether Janssen or Santos will be ready for opening day:

Arash Madani of Sportsnet reports on today’s minor league outing from Sergio Santos, in which the prospective closer says he “felt great.” Crucially, though, he reports that “whether or not Santos will be ready for Opening Day is still undetermined,” and yet, “Santos is ahead of Janssen medically.”
Mulliniks Watch: Still stuck on 1325 games 3569 AB 445 R 972 H 73 HR 435 RBI 0.272 AVG 15 SB
Rance Mulliniks
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly WinnerTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner
(Past Year: 27)

Postby Ender » Thu Mar 14, 2013 11:20 am

I drafted both of them in my no bench league and will just wait it out. Unfortunately I missed the fact Janssen was injured somehow so took him too early. I think that is probably the best approach though, take them both and wait it out.
Ender
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert

Postby kab21 » Sun Mar 17, 2013 9:44 am

colt4523 wrote:Perkins still the man in Minnesota or are we looking at a platoon with Burton?

I have seen no indication that it would be a split closing job. Gardy is as traditional as they come and he's going to want one closer.

As a Perkins owner my only concern is that the Twins might try to trade him this summer since they will most likely be out of it and Perkins has been excellent since becoming a full time RP'er. He is locked in for 4 more cheap years so I think they would wait a couple of years before trading him but if a team dangled a very good pitching prospect it might make sense to deal him.

Such a strange career for Perkins. he was a local 1st rd pick that had a successful (on the surface) rookie season and then he almost pitched his way out of the org. I remember critical comments flying back and forth in the media between Perkins and the FO at one point. Then he became a RP'er and gained 4+ mph on his fastball, ditched his change and became very slider dependent. It just goes to show that you never give up on an arm.
kab21
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 160)

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers