2013 CLOSERS THREAD - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

2013 CLOSERS THREAD

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: 2013 CLOSERS THREAD

Postby Justin_Case » Wed May 01, 2013 12:22 pm

daullaz wrote:I took a look at the new and improved Kevin Gregg in this week's Bottom of the 9th, as well as the Boston and Arizona situations:

http://www.fantasybaseballcafe.com/2013 ... t90501.php

Great read, thanks!

Would you (or anyone else) rank Hernandez ahead of Marmol or Gregg? I'm considering dropping Marmol for Hernandez...
Justin_Case
College Coach
College Coach

(Past Year: 5)
Home Cafe: Football

Postby Izenhart » Wed May 01, 2013 12:26 pm

Justin_Case wrote:
daullaz wrote:I took a look at the new and improved Kevin Gregg in this week's Bottom of the 9th, as well as the Boston and Arizona situations:

Great read, thanks!

Would you (or anyone else) rank Hernandez ahead of Marmol or Gregg? I'm considering dropping Marmol for Hernandez...

I would 100% certainly dump Marmol for Hernandez. Espically with Gregg picthing well and Fujikawa looming as a potential stud in the pen. Fuji started out rough, but he is very talented and should translate into a very good RP. I have faith in him.
Izenhart
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 286)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby daullaz » Wed May 01, 2013 1:05 pm

Justin_Case wrote:

Great read, thanks!

Yes, I'd take Hernandez over Marmol. Even if he was the closer, Marmol is a detriment to ratios. I wouldn't risk ruining ERA and WHIP to potentially get 15-20 saves (and that's if he gets the full-time job back soon and keeps it all year).
daullaz
Head Scribe
Head Scribe

EditorCafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 56)

Postby Maris09 » Wed May 01, 2013 3:55 pm

Axford is just atrocious. No way they give him the closers role back any time soon.
Maris09
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafeholic
(Past Year: 8)

Postby Millhouse » Wed May 01, 2013 3:59 pm

Maris09 wrote:Axford is just atrocious. No way they give him the closers role back any time soon.

Ha, was just going to post same thing. Henderson owners can breathe a little easier...
Millhouse
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 98)

Postby NZ Eff » Wed May 01, 2013 4:26 pm

Maris09 wrote:Axford is just atrocious. No way they give him the closers role back any time soon.

Well the second part is true. Henderson just got a lot longer leash. However Axford looks far from atrocious and conversely has been pretty much lights out the past two weeks with 6 holds and no walks.

Today he was unlucky. The pitch he threw to Marte was down and well off the plate and you just have to give the hitter credit. That came after Snider got a lucky infield hit on a slow roller to the short stop. Tabata got a hit and stole second and then Axford struck out McCuthcheon. He got Jones on a pop up and had Inge 0-2 throwing his 97mph fast ball wherever he wanted and then Inge somehow managed a bloop away from Weeks who booted it to let the runner score from 2nd. Gonzalez then came in to relieve and immediately gave up a single to Alvarez to give 4 runs against Axford (should be only 3 earned though).

Axford looked atrocious to start the season but has righted the ship. His fastball velocity is way back up and he is throwing his slider and his curve for strikes. Today doesn't help his cause to reclaim the closers role I agree as Henderson has done nothing to lose it but I still think Ax will get close to 20 saves for the Brewers this season.

If you need saves and have the bench luxury then don't cut him just yet.
NZ Eff
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Matchup Meltdown ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 23)

Postby Millhouse » Wed May 01, 2013 5:31 pm

Have the Brewers, or has anyone else, considered this: maybe the 2012/13 Axford now thrives when NOT in the closer spot, and tanks when he is? I guess the only way to find out is to put him in the closer spot AGAIN and watch him implode for a couple outings AGAIN before saying "Well, he needs to go back into low leverage 6th/7th inning situations and get his head together AGAIN before he gets the closer job back."

Wash...rinse...repeat...
Millhouse
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 98)

Postby NZ Eff » Wed May 01, 2013 7:34 pm

If you want to vulture a save tomorrow and have the bench space then pick up Dane De La Rosa. I doubt Frieri will be available after throwing 35 pitches today and Downs out after leaving today's game with an apparent injury. If the Angels get a save op. tomorrow against the Orioles then De La Rosa is likely your man.
NZ Eff
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Matchup Meltdown ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 23)

Postby Maris09 » Wed May 01, 2013 7:43 pm

NZ Eff wrote:

Well the second part is true. Henderson just got a lot longer leash. However Axford looks far from atrocious and conversely has been pretty much lights out the past two weeks with 6 holds and no walks.

Today he was unlucky. The pitch he threw to Marte was down and well off the plate and you just have to give the hitter credit. That came after Snider got a lucky infield hit on a slow roller to the short stop. Tabata got a hit and stole second and then Axford struck out McCuthcheon. He got Jones on a pop up and had Inge 0-2 throwing his 97mph fast ball wherever he wanted and then Inge somehow managed a bloop away from Weeks who booted it to let the runner score from 2nd. Gonzalez then came in to relieve and immediately gave up a single to Alvarez to give 4 runs against Axford (should be only 3 earned though).

Axford looked atrocious to start the season but has righted the ship. His fastball velocity is way back up and he is throwing his slider and his curve for strikes. Today doesn't help his cause to reclaim the closers role I agree as Henderson has done nothing to lose it but I still think Ax will get close to 20 saves for the Brewers this season.

If you need saves and have the bench luxury then don't cut him just yet.

He's given up a homer in 2 of his last 3 appearances. Been piching better since demoted, but still a guy who allows way too many long balls to be trusted in the 9th inning IMO.

I agree with Millhouse that he seems much more comfortable as a set up guy.
Maris09
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafeholic
(Past Year: 8)

Postby silentjim » Wed May 01, 2013 10:50 pm

Any chance Francisco Rodriguez ends up with the closer role in Milwaukee still? Or would Henderson have to implode too?

Any new news on Brian Wilson? Could be a sneaky add if he lands on the right team, but you can't be late on the speculative add.
silentjim
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Basketball Mod
(Past Year: 76)
Home Cafe: Basketball

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers