2013 CLOSERS THREAD - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

2013 CLOSERS THREAD

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: 2013 CLOSERS THREAD

Postby Prooks25 » Wed May 01, 2013 12:50 am

Reynolds or Hernandez in Arizona now that Putz just blew another save?
Prooks25
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 3)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Skin Blues » Wed May 01, 2013 1:02 am

Ender wrote:
Everybody knows that the bad outweighs the good with Marmol

They most certainly do not. He has 525 IP of 3.39 ERA. Everybody knows that he is an above average RP who would be one of the best RP in the game if he could control his BBs. I have no faith that he can control those but the fantasy baseball fans are in the minority of people who think he is horrible.

He's falling apart and can't throw strikes. We'll see what they end up getting for him and how much of that contract they'll have to eat. I'm thinking they'd be lucky to pay only 50% of what he's owed and get a scrub prospect in return, if they're lucky, and he'll end up as a middle reliever for the Tigers or something.
Skin Blues
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: 110)

Postby Ender » Wed May 01, 2013 1:07 am

Skin Blues wrote:
Ender wrote:
Everybody knows that the bad outweighs the good with Marmol

They most certainly do not. He has 525 IP of 3.39 ERA. Everybody knows that he is an above average RP who would be one of the best RP in the game if he could control his BBs. I have no faith that he can control those but the fantasy baseball fans are in the minority of people who think he is horrible.

He's falling apart and can't throw strikes. We'll see what they end up getting for him and how much of that contract they'll have to eat. I'm thinking they'd be lucky to pay only 50% of what he's owed and get a scrub prospect in return, if they're lucky, and he'll end up as a middle reliever for the Tigers or something.

And this could be true, but if they made him closer and he had a good month his value would go through the roof, Gregg has no value no matter what happens. This is how bad teams stay bad.
Ender
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert

Postby Skin Blues » Wed May 01, 2013 1:13 am

Yeah his value sure went through the roof after his huge second half last year that you keep talking about. I bet the Cubs were overjoyed that they still had him under contract. I guarantee they could get the same scrub prospect for Gregg as they coudl for Marmol. That is to say, each of them will bring back absolutely nothing in return.
Skin Blues
General Manager
General Manager

Postby Zhangman1 » Wed May 01, 2013 1:30 am

Prooks25 wrote:Reynolds or Hernandez in Arizona now that Putz just blew another save?

my guess is Hernandez. He was next in line last year. Plus Reynolds is a lefty.
Zhangman1
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 18)

Postby Skin Blues » Wed May 01, 2013 1:53 am

Hernandez hasn't been great but he's still been better than Putz, and he's not a lefty. If he's available, couldn't hurt to pick him up.
Skin Blues
General Manager
General Manager

Postby datelin3 » Wed May 01, 2013 9:26 am

Picked up Thayer as the handcuff to the inevitable H. Street trade rumors .. Would Gregorson have been the right pickup? -- I know I asked this question last week and got a strong Thayer response, but it seems that he is the 7th inning guy and Gregorson has the 8th and therefore would be first in line for saves.

This thread has been my GO-TO for the past 5-6 years for speculative adds & I have always been able to grab 4-5 closers weeks before they took control .... but this year I've somehow missed out on EVERY single closer change!

*Also, please stop defending Carlos Marmol .. in 10.2 IP he has given up 10 hits, 10 walks, 2 Wild Pitches and 1 HBP.
datelin3
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

(Past Year: 14)

Postby Izenhart » Wed May 01, 2013 10:22 am

I picked up Thayer. Sometimes the manager won't want to shuffle up the entire bullpen which is what happens when the 8th inning guy gets promoted to the closer role. It's really unknown at this point who gets it. Scenario #1 - Gregerson pitches the 8th, Street blows up in the 9th and Thayer is brought in to finish and keeps the role. Scenarios #2 and #3 - Street is traded or blows up and loses the game then it's announced Gregerson or Thayer gets it. Slight edge to Thayer IMO. Bonus points to him for having closing duties last season. Is he the better pitchers than Gregerson? Probably not. But this is SD, and they aren't going anywhere, and it's probably better for them to keep their best RP in a non closer role to keep his value down.
Izenhart
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 286)

Postby Ender » Wed May 01, 2013 11:20 am

Skin Blues wrote:Yeah his value sure went through the roof after his huge second half last year that you keep talking about. I bet the Cubs were overjoyed that they still had him under contract. I guarantee they could get the same scrub prospect for Gregg as they coudl for Marmol. That is to say, each of them will bring back absolutely nothing in return.

A good month on top of the 2nd half obviously does change his value. As I said it doesn't have to be Marmol, it can be anyone but Gregg. Smart teams build value in their RP by making them closers. The A's, the Rays, the Brewers etc have all done this. The last thing you want on a losing team is a mediocre veteran closer, that is the worst choice they could make. I'm not pushing for Marmol as much as saying anyone but Gregg, even Marmol would make sense. I mean I would pray they make Fujikawa the closer when he gets back assuming he has like 2 good appearances in a row.
Ender
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert

Postby daullaz » Wed May 01, 2013 12:03 pm

I took a look at the new and improved Kevin Gregg in this week's Bottom of the 9th, as well as the Boston and Arizona situations:

http://www.fantasybaseballcafe.com/2013 ... t90501.php
daullaz
Head Scribe
Head Scribe

EditorCafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 56)

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers