2013 CLOSERS THREAD - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

2013 CLOSERS THREAD

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: 2013 CLOSERS THREAD

Postby footballisbetter.com » Tue Apr 30, 2013 2:44 pm

Hanrahan coming off the DL today, but Bailey likely to retain closer role.

http://www.masslive.com/redsox/index.ss ... ailey.html
footballisbetter.com
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: 154)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Crippler » Tue Apr 30, 2013 4:48 pm

Anyone who thinks Marmol deserves to be getting MORE save opportunities is clueless.
Crippler
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 17)
Home Cafe: Football

Postby SpecialFNK » Tue Apr 30, 2013 8:34 pm

where does Addison Reed rank for closers?
1.64 ERA, 1.00 WHIP, 11 IP, 12 K, 8 saves.

I have Reed, Parnell, Valverde, and Mujica. I've been trying to trade Parnell, but those who are looking for saves wont give me what I think I should be able to get. hesitant to trade Reed based on his numbers, but would he be a sell high?
I imagine I could still go with Parnell/Valverde/Mujica and maybe even pick up someone as the season goes on.
SpecialFNK
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert
(Past Year: 103)

Postby Izenhart » Tue Apr 30, 2013 8:47 pm

SpecialFNK wrote:where does Addison Reed rank for closers?
1.64 ERA, 1.00 WHIP, 11 IP, 12 K, 8 saves.

I have Reed, Parnell, Valverde, and Mujica. I've been trying to trade Parnell, but those who are looking for saves wont give me what I think I should be able to get. hesitant to trade Reed based on his numbers, but would he be a sell high?
I imagine I could still go with Parnell/Valverde/Mujica and maybe even pick up someone as the season goes on.

I think Reed is a stud RP and have him ranked as my #5 closer. If Mujica holds the closer job all year I can see him being a top 10 RP. Keep them both and be patient trying to trade one of the other two (preferably Valverde)
Izenhart
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 301)

Postby Ender » Tue Apr 30, 2013 10:45 pm

Crippler wrote:Anyone who thinks Marmol deserves to be getting MORE save opportunities is clueless.

Of course he does, if he succeeds he has way more trade value than Gregg. Since April 6th here are Marmol's stats...

9 IP, 4 H, 0 ERA, .533 OPS against.

He isn't any great RP or anything but every move the Cubs make this year should be about maximizing returns on players or developing players. If not Marmol then someone else, pretty much anyone but Gregg.
Ender
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert

Postby SpecialFNK » Tue Apr 30, 2013 10:57 pm

Marmol's biggest flaw is the walks. that hasn't changed. in his last 4 IP he has 6 BB.
I imagine there is already a book from other GM's on the value of Marmol. I doubt they change their mind on him based on whatever happens the rest of this season as the trading deadline gets closer. I can't imagine any team trading for Marmol to be their closer, so I don't see how his value is going to change from getting save chances with the Cubs or pitching in the 7th or 8th. wouldn't he have more value proving he can pitch in the 7th or 8th in non save situations, seeing how any team that would trade for him would pitch him in that role anyway and not as closer.
I would think Marmol has the same type of trade value that Gregg has, and it's not that high for either of them.

another 1-2-3 save for Mujica. striking out the side of Votto/Phillips/Bruce.
SpecialFNK
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert
(Past Year: 103)

Postby RocketsDWM » Tue Apr 30, 2013 11:11 pm

Ender wrote:
Crippler wrote:Anyone who thinks Marmol deserves to be getting MORE save opportunities is clueless.

Of course he does, if he succeeds he has way more trade value than Gregg. Since April 6th here are Marmol's stats...

9 IP, 4 H, 0 ERA, .533 OPS against.

He isn't any great RP or anything but every move the Cubs make this year should be about maximizing returns on players or developing players. If not Marmol then someone else, pretty much anyone but Gregg.

Didn't they already try to unload Marmol last trading deadline and the response was crickets? What has changed since then?

On other closer news, the Red Sox skipper announced that Bailey will be Boston's closer even with the return of Hanrahan.
RocketsDWM
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

(Past Year: 55)

Postby Ender » Tue Apr 30, 2013 11:17 pm

Didn't they already try to unload Marmol last trading deadline and the response was crickets? What has changed since then?

What changed was his 2nd half stats.

29.2 IP, 1.52 ERA, 1.25 WHIP, .586 OPS against and 12 SV. Marmol was an elite RP in the 2nd half last year and they should have traded him in the off season but since they didn't they should be doing everything they can to leverage his value into anything this trade deadline.
Ender
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert

Postby Skin Blues » Wed May 01, 2013 12:04 am

I really don't think Marmol is all that more valuable than Gregg. The appeal of trading Marmol is that you lose that contract, but they'll still have to pay most of it. If they trade Gregg they could get the same return, and still have the same payroll. It's a sunk cost, essentially. Everybody knows that the bad outweighs the good with Marmol. Maybe he'll be great for a month or two but on the whole you're gonna be looking at an ERA around 4 and absolutely no reliability.
Skin Blues
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: 172)

Postby Ender » Wed May 01, 2013 12:46 am

Everybody knows that the bad outweighs the good with Marmol

They most certainly do not. He has 525 IP of 3.39 ERA. Everybody knows that he is an above average RP who would be one of the best RP in the game if he could control his BBs. I have no faith that he can control those but the fantasy baseball fans are in the minority of people who think he is horrible.
Ender
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers