2013 CLOSERS THREAD - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

2013 CLOSERS THREAD

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: 2013 CLOSERS THREAD

Postby West » Sun Apr 28, 2013 12:36 am

Yeah the last two posts are right on. The CHC situation isn't pretty but if you're desperate for saves you do what you gotta do. Sveum is just trying to win ballgames and look at what he has to play with. I don't like Gregg at all and didn't end up with him on any of my teams just as I don't own Marmol anywhere because I knew what I was getting into. I think Fujikawa is the eventual solution but there is a big difference between what a bunch of fantasy nerds on the internet think is the right solution and what a MLB manager thinks.

Also it's helpful to keep in mind that Rotoworld probably has several writers doing the speculation blurbs at the end of every post and they all have different opinions.
West
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 92)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby AussieDodger » Sun Apr 28, 2013 12:45 am

K.Gregg is trolling all of us.
The minute he goes from bench to active, he'll give up 4 ER in one appearance.

I'm gonna need a couple of weeks of reasonable performance before I let him touch my ratios :-°
AussieDodger
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterEagle Eye
(Past Year: 19)

Postby Skin Blues » Sun Apr 28, 2013 12:51 am

SpecialFNK wrote:when Gregg got his 1st save, he should have been picked up, as long as an owner had someone to drop that wouldn't hurt them. after the 2nd save last night even more he should have been picked up.
anyone wanting to pick up Gregg tonight, is probably too late because he would/should already be gone. at least in any league that has multiple competitive owners.
(I play in a 16 team league, and one owner picked up Gregg even before he got his 1st save)

I also think there is a difference in picking up a closer and inserting them right away into the starting lineup, and picking up a closer and holding him on your bench just to see if he can keep it going for a few innings at least.

So you're saying you want Rotoworld to cater to your personal needs and league specifications. Maybe you should write them a letter.
Skin Blues
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: 139)

Postby Danger » Sun Apr 28, 2013 1:50 am

We've all been burned by him before and we all should know better by now. But yet we all own him once again. How's he looking at least? Fernando Rodney type of turn around? :-D ;-D :-B
Danger
General Manager
General Manager

Postby OBPlover » Sun Apr 28, 2013 3:41 am

According to Yahoo Sports, John Axford's HR given up tonight has pushed back the time frame for his promotion back to closer.

This whole idea of replacing Jim Henderson just confounds me. The Brew Crew have a good offense that will become great once they get some more regulars back. They have good starting pitching, as Gallardo and Estrada should get better and Lohse seems to be good. What could possibly screw up the Brewers again this year? They are going to tinker with that bullpen of theirs, that has finally come around and blow some games.. :-P :-P :-P :-P
OBPlover
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 135)

Postby SpecialFNK » Sun Apr 28, 2013 7:03 am

Skin Blues wrote:
SpecialFNK wrote:when Gregg got his 1st save, he should have been picked up, as long as an owner had someone to drop that wouldn't hurt them. after the 2nd save last night even more he should have been picked up.
anyone wanting to pick up Gregg tonight, is probably too late because he would/should already be gone. at least in any league that has multiple competitive owners.
(I play in a 16 team league, and one owner picked up Gregg even before he got his 1st save)

I also think there is a difference in picking up a closer and inserting them right away into the starting lineup, and picking up a closer and holding him on your bench just to see if he can keep it going for a few innings at least.

So you're saying you want Rotoworld to cater to your personal needs and league specifications. Maybe you should write them a letter.

for years now I've felt like rotoworld was one of the best (if not the best) at giving updates and information on players. I have it bookmaked still and check it regularly. sometimes they can give really good information, as well as links to where they got their information from (twitter/ect). but now I feel like I'm partially anti rotoworld, because that seems to be the only thing yahoo fantasy baseball uses in their player news. that I think sucks because one can click on that and read the rotoworld OPINIONS and base their decisions on that. ..well rotoworld says this player sucks, so I say this player sucks too and I'm not going to do any other research.

I feel like when it comes to closers, anyone getting saves has value. I picked up Mujica when it was first said he could be getting saves. initially I wasn't planning on using him to get saves, my plan was to use him in a trade 2 for 1 to upgrade somewhere else from someone desperate for a closer. now that I still have him I am using him because he has been good.
right now I would rather have Kevin Gregg on my bench and trying to trade him than someone else having him and getting saves. but it does come down to who you would drop to pick up Gregg (or another closer who is due to suck sooner or later). I play in a couple deep private leagues with a deep bench, so for me it's not really a problem.
SpecialFNK
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert
(Past Year: 83)

Postby etex211 » Sun Apr 28, 2013 9:06 am

Is Matt Reynolds in Arizona becoming relevant?
etex211
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 28)

Postby West » Sun Apr 28, 2013 10:10 am

SpecialFNK wrote:
for years now I've felt like rotoworld was one of the best (if not the best) at giving updates and information on players. I have it bookmaked still and check it regularly. sometimes they can give really good information, as well as links to where they got their information from (twitter/ect). but now I feel like I'm partially anti rotoworld, because that seems to be the only thing yahoo fantasy baseball uses in their player news. that I think sucks because one can click on that and read the rotoworld OPINIONS and base their decisions on that. ..well rotoworld says this player sucks, so I say this player sucks too and I'm not going to do any other research.

I feel like when it comes to closers, anyone getting saves has value. I picked up Mujica when it was first said he could be getting saves. initially I wasn't planning on using him to get saves, my plan was to use him in a trade 2 for 1 to upgrade somewhere else from someone desperate for a closer. now that I still have him I am using him because he has been good.
right now I would rather have Kevin Gregg on my bench and trying to trade him than someone else having him and getting saves. but it does come down to who you would drop to pick up Gregg (or another closer who is due to suck sooner or later). I play in a couple deep private leagues with a deep bench, so for me it's not really a problem.

None of this was useful to anyone. Start a different thread to bitch about Rotoworld. Honestly...it "sucks" that people are basing their decisions off Rotoworld blurbs?? Let them. People are stupid.

etex211 wrote:Is Matt Reynolds in Arizona becoming relevant?

No. He was in for saves in two extra inning games and Hernandez had been used already in both games, Putz had already been used in the first game. It was just situational. I would say he is third in line and not worth owning except in the deepest of leagues.
West
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 92)

Postby SpecialFNK » Sun Apr 28, 2013 12:40 pm

West wrote:
SpecialFNK wrote:

None of this was useful to anyone. Start a different thread to bitch about Rotoworld. Honestly...it "sucks" that people are basing their decisions off Rotoworld blurbs?? Let them. People are stupid.

the first part maybe not, but the second part, absolutely is useful.
how often does someone see a new closer who is available on the wire, but one they don't think will be much good, so they just let him sit there and don't pick him up. then maybe someone else comes along later and picks up that closer, and he goes on to be successful. how many people saw Rodney become the closer last season only to say ah he sucks so they didn't pick him up. now I doubt anyone could have assumed/projected he would be as good as he was, but someone got rewarded very nicely because they did pick him up.
saves itself is one category. even a handful of saves can be the difference in multiple points, and maybe the difference in where one finishes in the standings overall.
SpecialFNK
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert
(Past Year: 83)

Postby West » Sun Apr 28, 2013 1:03 pm

Okay, back to closer talk.
West
Major League Manager
Major League Manager