2013 CLOSERS THREAD - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

2013 CLOSERS THREAD

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: 2013 CLOSERS THREAD (PRE-SEASON)

Postby Element » Fri Mar 01, 2013 6:00 pm

rookies and cream wrote:Chris Perez will not appear in Cactus League games for the next 3-4 weeks after being diagnosed with a strain of the subscapularis muscle in his right shoulder.

The closer will be shut down for the next 7-10 days and obviously will no longer pitch for Team USA in the World Baseball Classic. While he technically could have time to make it back for Opening Day, this almost surely means he'll begin the season on the disabled list. Vinnie Pestano should handle the ninth inning while Perez is out.

Perez was in a similar situation last spring. I fell for this trick once before ...
Element
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 713)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Ender » Fri Mar 01, 2013 11:29 pm

Though last year he was coming off a year with pretty miserable peripherals so there was reason to think he'd lose the job even if he got healthy. This year not so much.
Ender
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert

Postby silverZ » Mon Mar 04, 2013 9:01 am

Element wrote:
rookies and cream wrote:Chris Perez will not appear in Cactus League games for the next 3-4 weeks after being diagnosed with a strain of the subscapularis muscle in his right shoulder.

The closer will be shut down for the next 7-10 days and obviously will no longer pitch for Team USA in the World Baseball Classic. While he technically could have time to make it back for Opening Day, this almost surely means he'll begin the season on the disabled list. Vinnie Pestano should handle the ninth inning while Perez is out.

Perez was in a similar situation last spring. I fell for this trick once before ...

Same. Although I was never let down by Pestano's numbers by the end of the season. He's a ratio machine. I'll be targeting him in all of my leagues.
Here's the pitch on the way, a swing and a belt! Left field! Way back! BLUE JAYS WIN!
silverZ
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 73)

Postby Ender » Tue Mar 05, 2013 4:56 pm

Tigers are looking to trade for a closer. I almost feel bad for all those guys who drafted Rondon so early, I felt bad for them while they were doing it too since it seemed like a terrible risk~.
Ender
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert

Postby GiantsFan14 » Tue Mar 05, 2013 6:33 pm

Ender wrote:Tigers are looking to trade for a closer. I almost feel bad for all those guys who drafted Rondon so early, I felt bad for them while they were doing it too since it seemed like a terrible risk~.

I don't think I'd have wanted him even if he was going to start the season with the job.
@FBC_GiantsFan14 on Twitter
GiantsFan14
Baseball Scribe
Baseball Scribe

EditorCafeholicResponse TeamCafe WriterGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 427)

Postby Element » Tue Mar 05, 2013 9:44 pm

Ender wrote:Tigers are looking to trade for a closer. I almost feel bad for all those guys who drafted Rondon so early, I felt bad for them while they were doing it too since it seemed like a terrible risk~.

$8 that I'll never get back ... :-P
Element
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 713)

Postby Ender » Tue Mar 05, 2013 11:05 pm

That league is pretty shallow at least between being 12 teams and only 2 bench spots and so many keepers not on teams taken, should be able to find a good setup guy behind a cruddy closer~.
Ender
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert

Postby Garry26 » Thu Mar 07, 2013 3:22 pm

Here are the things I look for when guessing at who will be closer.

Ks to Innings pitched rate - Ideally I want a 1K/1inning rate, but its not necessary
# of 1 inning outings- I check how many relief outings he had. I want to see 1-2 inning outings. Although there have been starters converted into relievers too.
low era/whip- Era/Whip should be good.

I look for how successful he has been, how well he has done when asked to close, etc. Then I look at other candidates on the team. Do they have closing experience? How do they compare? How well have they done in spring?

1K/1inn is important. Low K rate closers are there for the Saves and = 1/2 an SP. Two high K rate closers with low ERA & Whip can net near 200Ks and good ERA/WHIP which equals 1 good SP. So when scrounging, go for these types because its great to get an SPs worth of stats for next to nothing (sans the Wins).
I love mock drafts.
Garry26
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 66)

Postby Ender » Thu Mar 07, 2013 3:28 pm

I think one extremely important thing to look at are career splits. If a pitcher struggles against one side hitter they are pretty unlikely to last as a closer.
Ender
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert

Postby Garry26 » Thu Mar 07, 2013 3:54 pm

Yes that too.
I love mock drafts.
Garry26
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor