2013 CLOSERS THREAD - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

2013 CLOSERS THREAD

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: 2013 CLOSERS THREAD

Postby West » Wed Apr 24, 2013 7:35 pm

None of these pitchers are on particularly great teams so we can pretty much rank them by skill. Grilli looks the best out of those thus far this year and I would probably rank him first. Not by much though, as the Pirates shouldn't offer an abundance of opportunities. He is pretty secure, with only Melancon breathing down his neck. I was a bit worried about him before this year because he only learned to pitch effectively last year. But he appears to be for real. However, he will also be the hardest to trade for.

I see Reed and Wilhelmson as fairly equal. Both are solid pitchers without much competition behind them.

Perez, although he has the longest track record, is also my least favorite. He has very reliable options behind him in Pestano and Shaw. He doesn't strike out a ton of batters so a lot of balls go in play and he will have the occasional blown save. As long as he doesn't go on a bad stretch he should be fine.

If it were me I would try to trade for Reed because he's would probably come at the lowest price.
West
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 85)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Prooks25 » Wed Apr 24, 2013 8:25 pm

Bailey with another super human outing. 3 up, 3 down all via the K. I don't see how the Red Sox could ever rationalize taking him out of this role when Hanrahan comes back.
Prooks25
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 3)

Postby Ender » Wed Apr 24, 2013 8:28 pm

Prooks25 wrote:Bailey with another super human outing. 3 up, 3 down all via the K. I don't see how the Red Sox could ever rationalize taking him out of this role when Hanrahan comes back.

He looked great. He did give up a double to Lowry though, the ump just miscalled it.
Ender
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert

Postby Skin Blues » Wed Apr 24, 2013 10:37 pm

When asked Wednesday what it would take for John Axford to get his closer job back, Brewers manager Ron Roenicke replied, "probably not much."

Axford has actually been pretty good lately. If he's available, this is probably your last chance to pick him up. There's always the potential for a blowup, but he should start picking up saves soon.
Skin Blues
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: 109)

Postby SpecialFNK » Wed Apr 24, 2013 10:37 pm

1-2-3, Valverde gets the save for the Tigers. 0 hits, 0 BB, 0 R.
I didn't see it, can't comment on it. looking at yahoo while it was happening, looked like he did throw 3 ball counts.

did see this comment from a fantasy account on twitter.
TheFantasyFix.com ‏@TheFantasyFix
Valverde not getting any of these close calls.

also saw this one too.
Ryan Boyer ‏@RyanPBoyer
#Tigers say Valverde's splitter is back, but he didn't throw a single one. But, 1-2-3 9th. Butler flys out short of warning track to end it.

and this one.
Tim Dierkes ‏@closernews

Nothing but fastballs from Valverde, but the #Tigers waste no time giving him the save. Pitches perfect 9th for 1st save.
SpecialFNK
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert
(Past Year: 72)

Postby eneric » Wed Apr 24, 2013 10:54 pm

And League with a blown save today. Any reason to worry yet or is his job still relatively safe? The fact that he doesn't strike out a lot of batters worries me.
eneric
College Coach
College Coach

(Past Year: 32)

Postby NZ Eff » Wed Apr 24, 2013 11:02 pm

eneric wrote:And League with a blown save today. Any reason to worry yet or is his job still relatively safe? The fact that he doesn't strike out a lot of batters worries me.

He has a relatively long leash but also has the best set up guy in the majors breathing down his neck. At this point his job is secure but with the way the Dodgers are spending money, they clearly just want to win. A few more of these types of outings and they won't hesitate to replace him with Jansen.
NZ Eff
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Matchup Meltdown ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 23)

Postby SpecialFNK » Wed Apr 24, 2013 11:33 pm

rotoworld screw up. I LOL.
Brandon League blew his first save of 2013 in the Dodgers' extra-innings loss to the Mets on Wednesday.
League entered the ninth inning with a 3-2 lead, but a leadoff double by Mike Baxter was followed two batters later by David Wright's two-out single. Blown save notwithstanding, League is still a passable closer despite the fact that a better option exists on his own team in Kelvin Herrera. With the money the Dodgers are paying him, League won't be removed from the ninth-inning role due to one rough outing.

Kelvin Herrera is now on the Dodgers?
I know he/they clearly meant Kenley Jansen. still funny though.
SpecialFNK
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert
(Past Year: 72)

Postby AHF » Thu Apr 25, 2013 9:42 am

NZ Eff wrote:with the way the Dodgers are spending money, they clearly just want to win. A few more of these types of outings and they won't hesitate to replace him with Jansen.

Is it clear that moving Jansen to closer will provide the Dodgers with the highest leverage innings from Jansen? I am not sure that moving him to a role where they are doing something close to locking him into the 9th inning in games with a 1-3 run lead (i.e., the typical way closers are used) is necessarily the most conducive to winning. I can see the Dodgers thinking that League does a solid job in the 9th and Jansen gives them the leverage to use at any high leverage point in the game and that is better than the reverse.
AHF
College Coach
College Coach

(Past Year: 8)

Postby Ender » Thu Apr 25, 2013 10:19 am

They like to monitor Jansen's usage and they like to be able to go more than an inning with him when needed. I think Mattingly really does just prefer him as the setup guy. League has to collapse to lose the job imo and I don't think he will. He has 5 SV and 1 BS so this one blown save which was a 1 run lead variety really doesn't do anything to his job security assuming he doesn't go out and blow the next one as well.
Ender
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers