2013 CLOSERS THREAD - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

2013 CLOSERS THREAD

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: 2013 CLOSERS THREAD (PRE-SEASON)

Postby Bwanna » Wed Apr 17, 2013 5:33 pm

Good time to deal for Herrera. I still wouldn't hesitate to roster/start him after yesterday.
[reg season/playoffs]
LFoD '08 [1st/3rd], '10 [1st/3rd], '11 [1st/2nd], '12 [1st/1st], '13, [1st/2nd], '14, [1st/1st]
BRAL '09 2nd, '10 1st
Bwanna
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicEagle EyeInnovative MemberWeb Supporter
(Past Year: 247)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby SpecialFNK » Wed Apr 17, 2013 6:08 pm

KRod.
MLB.com's Adam McCalvy reports that the Brewers are close to re-signing reliever Francisco Rodriguez.
It will be a minor league contract if K-Rod passes his physical. The 31-year-old right-hander struggled to attract interest this offseason, but the Brewers are now desperate for bullpen help. Rodriguez could eventually become a ninth-inning option for Milwaukee if Jim Henderson doesn't pan out and John Axford can't get right.

although he himself was not all that good last year.
SpecialFNK
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert
(Past Year: 81)

Postby TitsMcGahee » Wed Apr 17, 2013 6:49 pm

Are Herrera and Rosie dropable at this point? They are both struggling but seem to have good stuff but behind shaky closers, not sure when and if they will get their shot at the job.
TitsMcGahee
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

(Past Year: 4)
Home Cafe: Football

Postby SpecialFNK » Wed Apr 17, 2013 6:52 pm

Hanrahan. Bailey.
Red Sox manager John Farrell said Wednesday that he's not ready to guarantee Joel Hanrahan (hamstring) will regain the closer job when he returns from the disabled list.
"I don't think we're sitting here today ready to make that claim," Farrell said. "I think we've got to get through some things first, particularly how he responds with the hamstring. He's going to need a couple of (minor league) rehab appearances, just to get himself going again." Ultimately, it would be a surprise if Hanrahan doesn't get his job back, but the Red Sox do have a fellow two-time All-Star closer in Andrew Bailey as a secondary option. Hanrahan owners should pick up Bailey if he's still out on the waiver wire.
SpecialFNK
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert
(Past Year: 81)

Postby Norby » Wed Apr 17, 2013 7:49 pm

TitsMcGahee wrote:Are Herrera and Rosie dropable at this point? They are both struggling but seem to have good stuff but behind shaky closers, not sure when and if they will get their shot at the job.

Depends on your roster size and format i suppose. I dropped Herrera because i needed the room for Lawrie coming off my DL. Holland would need to blow quite a few in a row to lose that job. And, btw, Holland struck out the side in a perfect inning today. I think his early season struggles are behind him. It's funny how Herrera has become the sexy choice now. People forget Holland was that guy a couple of years ago.

By all means, though, if you have the room, they're both good stashes in case of injury or meltdowns.
Norby
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

(Past Year: 1)

Postby KELLYLEAK » Wed Apr 17, 2013 7:59 pm

Brewers just signed K-Rod to a minor league contract. Do you guys think they'll use him as a set up man or as the closer? Also, would you drop Henderson for him. Is Henderson just a short timer as the closer?
KELLYLEAK Beginner
College Coach
College Coach

(Past Year: 10)

Postby West » Wed Apr 17, 2013 9:24 pm

People:
Try not to ask questions like: "Is so and so droppable?" It will take us at least 1-2 follow up questions before we can even answer this question. Instead ask what a reliever's value is in comparison to other relievers. That would bring up much more relevant discussion as to who is stashable or not, regardless of league size.

KELLYLEAK wrote:Brewers just signed K-Rod to a minor league contract. Do you guys think they'll use him as a set up man or as the closer? Also, would you drop Henderson for him. Is Henderson just a short timer as the closer?

No I would not drop Henderson for K-Rod. There is no guarantee that K-Rod even makes the team, let alone closes. Henderson is still the closer and should be owned in all leagues. I would be speculating on Axford in the Milwaulkee pen if he was available. They want him to come back and be the closer and I think he will get things figured out. I was worried about him a couple weeks ago when his velocity was spotty but he's been back up around 94-95 the last 3 appearances. I think he'll be back and he should be relatively easy to trade for right now because his numbers are atrocious.
West
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 85)

Postby Prooks25 » Wed Apr 17, 2013 10:33 pm

Andrew Bailey looked elite tonight picking up a 2 k perfect save.
Prooks25
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 3)

Postby Skin Blues » Wed Apr 17, 2013 11:55 pm

TitsMcGahee wrote:Are Herrera and Rosie dropable at this point? They are both struggling but seem to have good stuff but behind shaky closers, not sure when and if they will get their shot at the job.

Herrera is not struggling. He has had only one outing that was not flawless. Prior to the blowup last night he had never allowed more than one base runner in any game and averaged 18.6 K/9. Rosenthal on the other hand is probably droppable, as he is not an elite RP and he is probably 3rd in line for the interim closer job behind Mujica and Boggs.
Skin Blues
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: 113)

Postby sfjb » Thu Apr 18, 2013 12:13 am

Interesting piece on MLB Tonight....Herrera was dropping his hands and tipping his fastball, and then winding on his breaking pitch. The sent him out tonight and he corrected it. Hence his better outing. Just a little hiccup, but as noted, Holland was on as well. Still worth watching closely.
sfjb
College Coach
College Coach

(Past Year: 1)

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers