2013 CLOSERS THREAD - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

2013 CLOSERS THREAD

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: 2013 CLOSERS THREAD (PRE-SEASON)

Postby kab21 » Wed Apr 17, 2013 10:41 am

Rosenthal would tempt me since I think Holland is better than Boggs. i don't even understand why they are using him in the bullpen now since I thought they wanted him to be a starter in the future.
kab21
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 520)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby wingman3110 » Wed Apr 17, 2013 11:42 am

Per Rotoworld

Jose Valverde will begin pitching for High-A Lakeland later this week if Wednesday's bullpen session goes fine.

Advice: Valverde is reportedly throwing in the low- to mid-90s with a good splitter, though he's yet to face hitters other than a few extended spring training innings. He doesn't figure to be in the minors long before the Tigers add him to their bullpen. He's worthy of stashing in fantasy leagues if you're looking for saves.

What do you guys or gals(do we have any lady cafe members) think?
"Just be you. You is enough." - Coach K
wingman3110
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafe Ranker
(Past Year: 340)

Postby bigh0rt » Wed Apr 17, 2013 12:01 pm

wingman3110 wrote:Per Rotoworld

Jose Valverde will begin pitching for High-A Lakeland later this week if Wednesday's bullpen session goes fine.

Advice: Valverde is reportedly throwing in the low- to mid-90s with a good splitter, though he's yet to face hitters other than a few extended spring training innings. He doesn't figure to be in the minors long before the Tigers add him to their bullpen. He's worthy of stashing in fantasy leagues if you're looking for saves.

I think it will be Benoit until they have a reason for it to no longer be him. Valverde alone I don't think would qualify as said reason, other than to vulture on days when Benoit is unavailable, which albeit, is more frequently than most other relievers.

Long story short, worth a stash but don't expect him to just start closing games even if/when he's called up to the 25-man roster.
bigh0rt
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 817)

Postby West » Wed Apr 17, 2013 1:05 pm

wingman3110 wrote:Per Rotoworld

It really just depends on how desperate one is for saves at the time. I'm speculating on Russell and Rosenthal right now so I probably won't have room for Valverde.

You can bet that we will have some idea of Valverde's role when he is close to a call-up. The media will be on Leyland for that info and we'll find out when they do. That will most likely determine how many people are running to the WW for him. For leagues in which you can already add Valverde, I wouldn't add him over guys such as Mujica, Fujikawa, Rosenthal, Gregerson or even Axford, who I'm sure a lot of people are dropping right now. Valverde is just too volatile for me to put any FAAB dollars towards him absent any endorsement from Leyland.

On a semi-related note, Dotel is now available to pitch again after missing a few games with elbow soreness. Leyland said he will ease him back into pressure situations. I would consider Dotel the handcuff to Benoit at this point.
West
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 216)

Postby Ender » Wed Apr 17, 2013 1:40 pm

I think the Cubs will end up with Marmol as the closer within a week.
Ender
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert
(Past Year: 451)

Postby CBMGreatOne » Wed Apr 17, 2013 2:14 pm

Herrera getting another shot against the Braves in the 8th, albeit 8-9-1 instead of the heart of the order. We'll see how it goes.

Edit: Got behind Simmons 3-0 only to strike him out in 8 pitches. Allowed a solid single to Ramiro Pena. Got behind BJ 3-1, but got him to pop up. Made quick work of Heyward. Definitely a positive outing.
CBMGreatOne
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: 233)

Postby GiantsFan14 » Wed Apr 17, 2013 2:23 pm

CBMGreatOne wrote:Herrera getting another shot against the Braves in the 8th, albeit 8-9-1 instead of the heart of the order. We'll see how it goes.

Got through it only giving up a single and got a strikeout. Will be interesting to see how Holland does against the 3-4-5 guys.
@FBC_GiantsFan14 on Twitter
GiantsFan14
Baseball Scribe
Baseball Scribe

EditorCafeholicResponse TeamCafe WriterGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 823)

Postby GiantsFan14 » Wed Apr 17, 2013 2:40 pm

And he strikes out the side. A sad day indeed for Herrera owners.
@FBC_GiantsFan14 on Twitter
GiantsFan14
Baseball Scribe
Baseball Scribe

EditorCafeholicResponse TeamCafe WriterGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 823)

Postby Prooks25 » Wed Apr 17, 2013 4:21 pm

We can probably put the Herrera/Holland debate to rest for a little while now. Thankfully.
Prooks25
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 39)

Postby J35J » Wed Apr 17, 2013 4:57 pm

Prooks25 wrote:We can probably put the Herrera/Holland debate to rest for a little while now. Thankfully.

Yup, should give Holland plenty of breathing room at this point. But don't think for a second though that Holland wasn't 1 BS away from losing his job because it was very likely that close. This was his first solid inning of work this year, but with Herrera's blow up yesterday and Hollands good work today it essentially starts those clocks back to the beginning at this point.
J35J
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 620)

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers