2013 CLOSERS THREAD - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

2013 CLOSERS THREAD

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: 2013 CLOSERS THREAD (PRE-SEASON)

Postby Skin Blues » Wed Feb 27, 2013 12:39 am

Kenley Jansen had 40 save chances, not 33, and had 7 blown saves (83%). Brandon League had 29 chances and blew 6 of them (79%). If you want to look at shutdowns/meltdowns, Jansen had 26/9 and League had 21/9. We all know Jansen is much better, it's just a matter of how long it takes League to suck. That team has spent enough money and set the expectations so high that he will not have a long leash, especially with such a dominant reliever waiting in the wings. As for Jansen's velocity, he averaged 94+ MPH in six different outings in 2012, which includes each of his final four appearances. Judging by that I'd say he was throwing just fine at the end of the season.
Skin Blues
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: 113)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Ender » Wed Feb 27, 2013 12:49 am

They might not have a long leash but they do have a leash. If League comes out and saves 85% of his games he will keep the job. He has to lose it, Jansen can't just outright steal it. Part of that is because of his injury concerns, some of it is the perceived notion that he didn't thrive as the closer and some of it is simply the cash given to League in the deal.
Ender
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert

Postby Element » Wed Feb 27, 2013 3:16 pm

Skin Blues wrote:Kenley Jansen had 40 save chances, not 33, and had 7 blown saves (83%). Brandon League had 29 chances and blew 6 of them (79%). If you want to look at shutdowns/meltdowns, Jansen had 26/9 and League had 21/9. We all know Jansen is much better, it's just a matter of how long it takes League to suck. That team has spent enough money and set the expectations so high that he will not have a long leash, especially with such a dominant reliever waiting in the wings. As for Jansen's velocity, he averaged 94+ MPH in six different outings in 2012, which includes each of his final four appearances. Judging by that I'd say he was throwing just fine at the end of the season.

Where do you see that he had 40 save chances? He converted 25 saves and blew 7. I admit my math was off (32 opportunities; not 33).
Element
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 719)

Postby wingman3110 » Wed Feb 27, 2013 3:26 pm

Is it Grilli in Pittsburgh this year? Or will Melancon get a chance? :-? Please tell me Grilli lol
"Just be you. You is enough." - Coach K
wingman3110
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafe Ranker
(Past Year: 122)

Postby Frenchiegangsta9 » Wed Feb 27, 2013 3:35 pm

wingman3110 wrote:Is it Grilli in Pittsburgh this year? Or will Melancon get a chance? :-? Please tell me Grilli lol

Everything that I have seen has Grilli as the official closer. He was great last year so hopefully he continues pitching well.
Frenchiegangsta9
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 15)

Postby Izenhart » Wed Feb 27, 2013 3:47 pm

Frenchiegangsta9 wrote:
wingman3110 wrote:Is it Grilli in Pittsburgh this year? Or will Melancon get a chance? :-? Please tell me Grilli lol

Everything that I have seen has Grilli as the official closer. He was great last year so hopefully he continues pitching well.

Dude was brilliant last year why mess with success? 99% sure he's getting the saves.
Izenhart
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 294)

Postby silverZ » Wed Feb 27, 2013 4:06 pm

RocketsDWM wrote:
Ender wrote:http://www.mlbinjurynews.com/2013/02/athletics-grant-balfour-ahead-of-schedule-knee-chris-young-cramps-mlb.html?m=0

Balfour is ahead of schedule in his rehab. Could be playing games in 2 weeks.

Does Balfour have the job or is it an open competition with Cook?

Balfour has the job if healthy as far as I remember.
Here's the pitch on the way, a swing and a belt! Left field! Way back! BLUE JAYS WIN!
silverZ
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 73)

Postby Element » Wed Feb 27, 2013 5:23 pm

silverZ wrote:
RocketsDWM wrote:
Ender wrote:http://www.mlbinjurynews.com/2013/02/athletics-grant-balfour-ahead-of-schedule-knee-chris-young-cramps-mlb.html?m=0

Balfour is ahead of schedule in his rehab. Could be playing games in 2 weeks.

Does Balfour have the job or is it an open competition with Cook?

Balfour has the job if healthy as far as I remember.

He did just have knee surgery. If all goes according to plan he should be ready by opening day.
Element
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 719)

Postby Ender » Wed Feb 27, 2013 11:34 pm

Frenchiegangsta9 wrote:

He does have the job but keep in mind he is 36 and only discovered how to pitch a year ago. There is a pretty big collapse rate with him.
Ender
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert

Postby A Fleshner Fantasy » Thu Feb 28, 2013 12:00 pm

Ender wrote:
Frenchiegangsta9 wrote:

He does have the job but keep in mind he is 36 and only discovered how to pitch a year ago. There is a pretty big collapse rate with him.

Yup, I'm not sure I'd want him, even though he's technically the closer. I could be wrong, but I just don't see him keeping the job for very long.

2011 Live Free or DyNasty Champ
A Fleshner Fantasy
Wicked Wikitect
Wicked Wikitect

CafeholicMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 32)
Home Cafe: Football

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers