2013 CLOSERS THREAD - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

2013 CLOSERS THREAD

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: 2013 CLOSERS THREAD (PRE-SEASON)

Postby Havok1517 » Sun Feb 17, 2013 2:32 pm

Ken Davidoff of the New York Post reports that the door remains "slightly ajar" for Jose Valverde to join the Mets as their closer.
Adam Rubin of ESPNNewYork.com reported earlier this month that there was interest, and evidently the possibility remains.
Havok1517
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe Writer
(Past Year: 119)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Garry26 » Thu Feb 21, 2013 8:31 pm

Havok1517 wrote:Ken Davidoff of the New York Post reports that the door remains "slightly ajar" for Jose Valverde to join the Mets as their closer.
Adam Rubin of ESPNNewYork.com reported earlier this month that there was interest, and evidently the possibility remains.

I'm a New Yorker and frustrated Mets fan, who isn't a 'homer', and has accepted the sad reality of this team. This will be a bit long, but interesting.

Short Version:
I'm sorry to burst everyone's bubble, a healthy, no baggage Valverde will never be a Met unless he is willing to take a massive pay cut. They'll only consider him if there's something about him that lets them get him for dirt cheap.

Long Version:
Madoff screwed the Mets. They have no money. They had issues paying day-to-day expenses last year and almost had to sell part of the team to cover costs. This is why they didn't sign anyone except for Wright because they needed a face of the franchise. They had to have another SP and since he was hurt last year, Marcum was cheap. To illustrate my point further, note that they have no outfield to speak of, and Delmon Young , who is injured, went for 750K and they didn't bite on him.

My point:
They cant afford even the cheapest serviceable player. They will only spend on must-have roster spots, and only if they're cheap. Otherwise, they will make due with what they have.

I'm sorry, but Valverde will not be a Met. They will probably make due with Lyon or Parnell if Frank isn't ready.
I love mock drafts.
Garry26
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 92)

Postby eneric » Mon Feb 25, 2013 5:52 pm

Havoc you are the man!!! Thanks for all your time and input each and every year. I highly value your input & opinions.

A couple of questions to anyone

1) Does anyone else think Kenley Jansen will take over his closer role again rather quickly or will his heart condition perhaps land him on the DL again?

2) WTF is Washington doing with the back end of their bullpen? Isn't Storen supposed to the a top notch if not one of the best closers in the league? Will he get the gig over Soriano & Clippard?

3) Any chance Ernesto Frieri takes the closer role & run with it?
eneric
College Coach
College Coach

(Past Year: 32)

Postby RocketsDWM » Mon Feb 25, 2013 9:38 pm

eneric wrote:Havoc you are the man!!! Thanks for all your time and input each and every year. I highly value your input & opinions.

1) Does anyone else think Kenley Jansen will take over his closer role again rather quickly or will his heart condition perhaps land him on the DL again?

2) WTF is Washington doing with the back end of their bullpen? Isn't Storen supposed to the a top notch if not one of the best closers in the league? Will he get the gig over Soriano & Clippard?

I just can't fathom the Nats dishing out that much money to Soriano and not make him the closer. Seems like Storen is second in line though.
RocketsDWM
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

(Past Year: 55)

Postby Ender » Tue Feb 26, 2013 12:37 am

eneric wrote:Havoc you are the man!!! Thanks for all your time and input each and every year. I highly value your input & opinions.

1. League has to lose that job, Jansen can't take it away from him. They just want to take things too carefully with Jansen at this point.

2. Storen is an injury risk, Clippard has proven to be much better in setup than as a closer and the rest of that bullpen overproduced last year and isn't a safe bet to repeat. Soriano is about as solid as you can get for a closer.

3. Yes I think Frieri is more likely to end with 20+ saves than Madson.
Ender
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert

Postby Havok1517 » Tue Feb 26, 2013 1:13 am

Ender wrote:

1. League has to lose that job, Jansen can't take it away from him. They just want to take things too carefully with Jansen at this point.

2. Storen is an injury risk, Clippard has proven to be much better in setup than as a closer and the rest of that bullpen overproduced last year and isn't a safe bet to repeat. Soriano is about as solid as you can get for a closer.

1. I think Jensen is the more talented arm but his health remains his biggest barrier and League will have to pitch himself out of the job unless Jensen is lights out. Jensen could be valuable even not being in the closers role, ala KRod backing up Percival in 2004.

2. I wouldn't say Soriano is as solid as it gets due to him failing as closer in the past and his injury history. That being said, it appears Washington is not pulling any punches and building the best bullpen they can without any concerns for fantasy leagues. The nerve of them.

3. I think Madson will close if he is healthy no matter what Frieri does. That being said, Madson didn't even throw a pitch for the Reds last year and got paid handsomely. Fool me once?
Havok1517
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe Writer
(Past Year: 119)

Postby Ender » Tue Feb 26, 2013 11:55 am

Not only did he not throw a pitch last year, he was hurt before throwing a pitch this spring too. His health is just too much of a risk and it could easily turn into one of these situations where he doesn't pitch on back to back days which probably costs him the closer job. I think some combination of health issues leads to Frieri leading that bullpen in saves this year.
Ender
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert

Postby Ender » Tue Feb 26, 2013 5:24 pm

http://www.mlbinjurynews.com/2013/02/at ... b.html?m=0

Balfour is ahead of schedule in his rehab. Could be playing games in 2 weeks.
Ender
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert

Postby RocketsDWM » Tue Feb 26, 2013 8:34 pm

Ender wrote:http://www.mlbinjurynews.com/2013/02/athletics-grant-balfour-ahead-of-schedule-knee-chris-young-cramps-mlb.html?m=0

Balfour is ahead of schedule in his rehab. Could be playing games in 2 weeks.

Does Balfour have the job or is it an open competition with Cook?
RocketsDWM
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

(Past Year: 55)

Postby Element » Tue Feb 26, 2013 11:00 pm

Havok1517 wrote:
Ender wrote:

1. I think Jensen is the more talented arm but his health remains his biggest barrier and League will have to pitch himself out of the job unless Jensen is lights out. Jensen could be valuable even not being in the closers role, ala KRod backing up Percival in 2004.

2. I wouldn't say Soriano is as solid as it gets due to him failing as closer in the past and his injury history. That being said, it appears Washington is not pulling any punches and building the best bullpen they can without any concerns for fantasy leagues. The nerve of them.

3. I think Madson will close if he is healthy no matter what Frieri does. That being said, Madson didn't even throw a pitch for the Reds last year and got paid handsomely. Fool me once?

Noteworthy regarding Jansen ... he blew 7 of 33 chances last season & his fastball (cutter) velocity dipped. He is still, by far, the most elite arm in the pen, but there are other causes for concern other than his heart condition.
Element
General Manager
General Manager

Response TeamCafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 793)

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers