2013 CLOSERS THREAD - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

2013 CLOSERS THREAD

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: 2013 CLOSERS THREAD (PRE-SEASON)

Postby GiantsFan14 » Thu Feb 14, 2013 2:58 pm

Just so everyone knows, while Romo theoretically has the closer job, the Giants have been very cautious with overworking him as he has had issues with his elbow and knee. I could see Bochy using a semi-committee with a left-hander at times and I could also see him not using Romo in some 3-run save opps to save his arm. Especially if Romo has pitched recently.

He should still get a decent number of saves, and provides elite ratios from a closer, but I wouldn't draft him expecting that he'll get much more than 75% of the save opps this year.
@FBC_GiantsFan14 on Twitter
GiantsFan14
Baseball Scribe
Baseball Scribe

EditorCafeholicResponse TeamCafe WriterGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 427)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Havok1517 » Thu Feb 14, 2013 3:07 pm

GiantsFan14 wrote:Just so everyone knows, while Romo theoretically has the closer job, the Giants have been very cautious with overworking him as he has had issues with his elbow and knee. I could see Bochy using a semi-committee with a left-hander at times and I could also see him not using Romo in some 3-run save opps to save his arm. Especially if Romo has pitched recently.

He should still get a decent number of saves, and provides elite ratios from a closer, but I wouldn't draft him expecting that he'll get much more than 75% of the save opps this year.

Well, they will have the option of resigning Wilson and potentially Valverde or KRod so there are still viable potential closers available.
Havok1517
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe Writer
(Past Year: 138)

Postby GiantsFan14 » Thu Feb 14, 2013 3:10 pm

Havok1517 wrote:
GiantsFan14 wrote:Just so everyone knows, while Romo theoretically has the closer job, the Giants have been very cautious with overworking him as he has had issues with his elbow and knee. I could see Bochy using a semi-committee with a left-hander at times and I could also see him not using Romo in some 3-run save opps to save his arm. Especially if Romo has pitched recently.

Well, they will have the option of resigning Wilson and potentially Valverde or KRod so there are still viable potential closers available.

While they could re-sign Wilson, he left on pretty bad terms so I don't really see it happening. Plus he's not going to be ready for the start of the season, so I kinda doubt they're willing to give him a major league deal. None chance they sign Valverde or KRod. The bullpen is pretty set at this point.
@FBC_GiantsFan14 on Twitter
GiantsFan14
Baseball Scribe
Baseball Scribe

EditorCafeholicResponse TeamCafe WriterGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 427)

Postby Rance Mulliniks » Thu Feb 14, 2013 6:25 pm

Thanks for doing this again, Havok!

Reports on Casey Jannsen today from Jays camp are that he threw about 20 pitches from the mound. He still estimates he's throwing at 70-80 percent, but expects to be ready for opening day. He'll throw again on Sunday. John Gibbons says Jansen "Looked good" and that "he wasn't cutting it loose but there were no limitations. ... That's a big step, that's good for his confidence." Janssen expects to see game action in the first or second week of March (the first pre-season game is Feb. 23) "if all goes well."
Mulliniks Watch: Still stuck on 1325 games 3569 AB 445 R 972 H 73 HR 435 RBI 0.272 AVG 15 SB
Rance Mulliniks
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly WinnerTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner
(Past Year: 27)

Postby SpecialFNK » Thu Feb 14, 2013 11:47 pm

unclear in Detroit, could be anyone.
Tigers manager Jim Leyland said Thursday that the closer job isn't Bruce Rondon's to lose.
"No, it’s not like that," said Leyland. "I’m going to look at all my options, and hopefully I’ll make a decision. But I doubt anyone will be anointed the closer out of spring training. It might happen, but I doubt it. It’s a front-burner thing that is on the back-burner." The Tigers would clearly prefer that Rondon run away with the job, but they are prepared to look at alternatives if the hard-throwing rookie struggles. Joaquin Benoit, Octavio Dotel, Phil Coke, Al Alburquerque and Brayan Villarreal are among the other possibilities. Fantasy owners should track this situation carefully this spring.
SpecialFNK
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert
(Past Year: 74)

Postby Garry26 » Fri Feb 15, 2013 10:23 am

Right now Id consider "Thumbs Up" closers as guaranteed unless they get injured or do beyond horrible in spring training. Its the pre-season after all.
I love mock drafts.
Garry26
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 64)

Postby silverZ » Fri Feb 15, 2013 4:22 pm

Best cafe thread tradition of all time. ;-D
Here's the pitch on the way, a swing and a belt! Left field! Way back! BLUE JAYS WIN!
silverZ
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 73)

Postby RocketsDWM » Fri Feb 15, 2013 6:47 pm

Ender wrote:I would downgrade Hanrahan one notch. They have 2 better RP than him, he was pretty putrid in the 2nd half last year and Boston tends to knee jerk faster than most teams in the early part of a season. I think if he comes out and blows the first 2 saves of the year he might not get the 3rd save opp.

I think there is a long rope for Joel. Bailey can never stay healthy and was out of whack when he did pitch. And Bard needs to right the ship and he is best suited as the 8th inning guy in this pen.

Even if Joel blows the first four opps, I think there is no hesitation in handing him the ball again for a 5th. He is the best option to close out games given Bailey's injury woes and Bards mental woes.
RocketsDWM
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

(Past Year: 55)

Postby Quackman » Sat Feb 16, 2013 8:22 pm

Love this thread, thanks for the work you did.

I think Santos > Jannsen.

I think Frieri > Madson.

scratch that Frieri > everyone,,,oh thats last year ;-)
Quackman
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 64)

Postby Ender » Sun Feb 17, 2013 12:04 am

Even if Joel blows the first four opps, I think there is no hesitation in handing him the ball again for a 5th. He is the best option to close out games given Bailey's injury woes and Bards mental woes.

Maybe before they signed Uehara who is best RP on the team by a pretty large margin.
Ender
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers