2013 CLOSERS THREAD - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

2013 CLOSERS THREAD

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: 2013 CLOSERS THREAD (PRE-SEASON)

Postby West » Sat Mar 30, 2013 3:53 pm

I agree that he has a little value in deeper leagues but people should be chasing skills - Albuquerque and Villarreal - before they go after Coke. I don't buy the "opportunity" argument. Yes, he finished a couple games in the postseason. How many saves did he have? Zip. Leyland won't look twice at him in April unless there are at least 2 lefties coming up in the 9th. He wants a guy he can go to every night and Coke doesn't have the skills profile to deliver. I'm not saying AA or Villarreal fit the bill completely either, but they have advantages that Coke can't offer. Namely, right handedness.

Coke is a below average lefty reliever with no role. I understand that has a bit of value in a 20 team league or an AL only, but in any other league we shouldn't even be having this conversation.
West
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 85)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Ender » Sat Mar 30, 2013 5:58 pm

people should be chasing skills - Albuquerque and Villarreal - before they go after Coke.

I don't like RP that can hurt my ratios and that is what Albuquerque is. I don't mind Villarreal but I don't think he gets saves. There are no good choices in that bullpen imo but I get why someone would go after Coke because while they are in a committee he almost definitely will get a few saves and then you can dump him once someone wins the job. Good little filler guy in a deeper league.
Ender
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert

Postby West » Sat Mar 30, 2013 6:35 pm

Ender wrote:
people should be chasing skills - Albuquerque and Villarreal - before they go after Coke.

I don't like RP that can hurt my ratios and that is what Albuquerque is. I don't mind Villarreal but I don't think he gets saves. There are no good choices in that bullpen imo but I get why someone would go after Coke because while they are in a committee he almost definitely will get a few saves and then you can dump him once someone wins the job. Good little filler guy in a deeper league.

Agreed. AA does need to cut down on his walks.

Good news for Fujikawa owners, Marmol has been garbage this spring.

Carlos Marmol surrendered three runs in two-thirds of an inning and took a loss Saturday against the Astros.
Marmol ended up allowing 13 runs -- eight earned -- in 10 1/3 innings this spring. He walked nine and struck out five. The Cubs would certainly prefer to keep Marmol in the closer's role and let him build up a little trade value early in the year. However, if he keeps struggling, they'll have no choice but to go to Kyuji Fujikawa. We view Fujikawa as the superior fantasy option.

Rotoworld
West
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby daullaz » Sun Mar 31, 2013 9:14 pm

West wrote: Yes, he finished a couple games in the postseason. How many saves did he have? Zip.

daullaz wrote:Coke finished six of the Tigers' eight playoff games in the ALCS and WS, picking up two saves in the ALCS.

Which is two more than any other players had once Valverde blew up. Coke saved Games 2 and 3 of the ALCS, and the Tigers blew the Yankees out in Game 4. The Tigers were swept in the World Series and had no saves or save chances. Coke was called upon to pitch the ninth inning of a tied Game 4 against the Giants, was sent out in the 10th after a scoreless ninth, gave up a leadoff single, got the next two outs, and gave up the game winning single.

I'm just using all this to point out why people think Coke will get save opps. He was clearly Leyland's preferred option after Valverde melted down.
daullaz
Head Scribe
Head Scribe

EditorCafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 56)

Postby daullaz » Mon Apr 01, 2013 3:02 pm

I looked at the Tigers' situation in the first edition of the Bottom of the 9th:

http://www.fantasybaseballcafe.com/2013 ... 040113.php
daullaz
Head Scribe
Head Scribe

EditorCafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 56)

Postby BronXBombers51 » Mon Apr 01, 2013 4:47 pm

Just noticed Fujikawa notched the save in .1 innings. Don't know the circumstances surrounding it. :-?
BronXBombers51
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Mock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 54)

Postby bigh0rt » Mon Apr 01, 2013 4:55 pm

BronXBombers51 wrote:Just noticed Fujikawa notched the save in .1 innings. Don't know the circumstances surrounding it. :-?

Marmol in to start the 9th, sucked. Russel relieved him for the 26th out. Fujikawa came in and threw 2 pitches for the final out of the game.
bigh0rt
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 348)

Postby A Fleshner Fantasy » Mon Apr 01, 2013 5:06 pm

bigh0rt wrote:
BronXBombers51 wrote:Just noticed Fujikawa notched the save in .1 innings. Don't know the circumstances surrounding it. :-?

Marmol in to start the 9th, sucked. Russel relieved him for the 26th out. Fujikawa came in and threw 2 pitches for the final out of the game.

Yup, and Marmol looked really bad. Definitely not an inspiring first outing for him.

Also, Axford with an early blown save. Bad start for NL Central closers.

2011 Live Free or DyNasty Champ
A Fleshner Fantasy
Wicked Wikitect
Wicked Wikitect

CafeholicMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 32)
Home Cafe: Football

Postby West » Mon Apr 01, 2013 5:28 pm

Axford should be fine. Marmol, not so much. Fujikawa should be owned in mixed leagues.

Sorry about the Coke mis info. I think I was looking at Dotel's playoff numbers or something.
West
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby Crippler » Mon Apr 01, 2013 5:39 pm

Fuji is already owned in All semi-competitive leagues. Come on guys
Crippler
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 16)