College Coach
College Coach

(Past Year: 8)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: 2013 CLOSERS THREAD (PRE-SEASON)

Postby Crippler » Thu Mar 28, 2013 1:01 pm

AHF wrote:Thoughts on which reliever to speculate on:

Phil Coke or Mitchell Boggs

What's to debate? Boggs is the current closer. Motte's injury looks minor but who knows at this point. Coke has maybe a 25% chance of getting saves in a committee.

Boggs is the clear choice.
Crippler
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 16)
Home Cafe: Football

Postby Kodiak » Thu Mar 28, 2013 4:33 pm

This article makes it sound like Rondon could be back at any moment, perhaps after closing a few games in Toledo. That said, I'm inclined to hang onto him for a couple weeks anyway. It also mentions Brayan Villarreal and Drew Smyly, the latter working the 7th through 9th innings.

http://www.mlive.com/tigers/index.ssf/2 ... ondon.html
Kodiak
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

(Past Year: 7)

Postby J35J » Thu Mar 28, 2013 5:14 pm

Hello "view your posts"
J35J
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 398)

Postby RedHopeful » Thu Mar 28, 2013 5:48 pm

One could probably speculate all day regarding the situation in DET but I'm not buying it remaining a committee deal more than 2-3 weeks into the season. Leyland has stated the importance of having a dominant single guy in the past. Best guess is the pitcher who gets hot and stays hot first wins the gig. Still don't think it'll be Benoit as Leyland has stated he's not a fan of him in the 9th. Anyone else though is game. If it starts turning into musical chairs a month or two in, expect either Rondon to get another shot, or more likely, Tigers pick up a guy for the job.
RedHopeful
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicBasketball ModPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 85)
Home Cafe: Basketball

Postby cordscords » Thu Mar 28, 2013 7:53 pm

I think Dotel and Alburquerque are the clear adds.
cordscords
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 20)

Postby jackie hayes » Thu Mar 28, 2013 11:45 pm

RedHopeful wrote:One could probably speculate all day regarding the situation in DET but I'm not buying it remaining a committee deal more than 2-3 weeks into the season. Leyland has stated the importance of having a dominant single guy in the past. Best guess is the pitcher who gets hot and stays hot first wins the gig. Still don't think it'll be Benoit as Leyland has stated he's not a fan of him in the 9th. Anyone else though is game. If it starts turning into musical chairs a month or two in, expect either Rondon to get another shot, or more likely, Tigers pick up a guy for the job.

Agree on it not remaining a committee, and that Rondon could very well claim the job 2 or 3 weeks in. But, although Leyland wasn't enthused about Benoit as the closer, he also panned Coke ("Whether he would hold up physically and mentally trying to save games every day, I'm not sure") and Dotel ("he left me sleepless in Seattle, I can tell you that" /rimshot). That leaves Albuquerque, but from what I read, noone around the team seems willing to bet on him. From one beat writer:

That means Phil Coke, Octavio Dotel, Joaquin Benoit -- they all could be asked to pitch the ninth inning. For that matter, Brayan Villarreal and Al Alburquerque could, too.

Heck, even left-handers Drew Smyly and Darin Downs could occasionally get a save opportunity. Leyland didn't rule anyone one Thursday.

http://www.mlive.com/tigers/index.ssf/2 ... troit.html

And from the mlb.com Tigers beat reporter:

Still, Coke, Benoit and Dotel would be most likely to get the bulk of the save opportunities...

http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd ... d=43430292

I just don't know -- yeah, Leyland doesn't seem to want Benoit there. But I can't say his chances are much worse than anyone else's.

Btw, for those interested, an ungated BP article on Benoit with no rest days, earlier today:

http://www.baseballprospectus.com/artic ... leid=20024
jackie hayes
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafeholic
(Past Year: 94)

Postby SpecialFNK » Fri Mar 29, 2013 12:37 am

has Leyland said he has preferred 1 set closer in the past?
I was wondering if Leyland could handle his relief pitchers similar to how he has handled OF in recent seasons. seems he doesn't mind using multiple OF in any games with whatever the matchups are. maybe Leyland could use any and all of the pitchers mentioned all based on matchups and who has pitched recently avoiding pitchers on back to back days.
SpecialFNK
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert
(Past Year: 91)

Postby jackie hayes » Fri Mar 29, 2013 1:00 am

SpecialFNK wrote:has Leyland said he has preferred 1 set closer in the past?
I was wondering if Leyland could handle his relief pitchers similar to how he has handled OF in recent seasons. seems he doesn't mind using multiple OF in any games with whatever the matchups are. maybe Leyland could use any and all of the pitchers mentioned all based on matchups and who has pitched recently avoiding pitchers on back to back days.

Yeah, he said this:

I totally disagree with people who don't think you need a closer to win. Most teams that win have a truly dominant closer.

http://www.detroitnews.com/article/2013 ... don-closer
jackie hayes
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafeholic

Postby West » Fri Mar 29, 2013 6:29 pm

I think Villarreal is the dark horse. Pitched the 9th today after a Dotel blowup and looked dominant. Something to keep an eye on. Leyland will have a set closer by the third week of April, I promise you that. As he himself has said, the situation is a "second guessers" dream, and he doesn't want to deal with that in the press.
West
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers