2013 CLOSERS THREAD - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

2013 CLOSERS THREAD

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: 2013 CLOSERS THREAD

Postby Garry26 » Fri Jan 03, 2014 3:07 pm

bigh0rt wrote:
Pogotheostrich wrote:Hawkings signs with the Rockies and will start the season as the closer.

http://www.denverpost.com/rockies/ci_24 ... rve-closer

How does this guy keep getting paid, and keep getting jobs pitching at the end of baseball games? Regardless of what any statistic or metric may say, I watched this guy pitch for the Mets all year, and he sucks. And that was during what was probably the best season of his entire career. He's sucked with the Rockies once, and he'll suck with them again. It stinks that this is just another team with a closer I won't roster. I hate limiting my options.

Hawkins did well when Parnell got hurt though. For 2.5mil, he went for cheap too. I can't believe why the Mets didn't keep him. Now they are saying they need more bullpen depth. Then why not keep Hawkins for 2.5? Or do they think they can get good depth for less? Ha!
I love mock drafts.
Garry26
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 66)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby bigh0rt » Mon Jan 06, 2014 10:22 am

Garry26 wrote:
bigh0rt wrote:
Pogotheostrich wrote:Hawkings signs with the Rockies and will start the season as the closer.

http://www.denverpost.com/rockies/ci_24 ... rve-closer

How does this guy keep getting paid, and keep getting jobs pitching at the end of baseball games? Regardless of what any statistic or metric may say, I watched this guy pitch for the Mets all year, and he sucks. And that was during what was probably the best season of his entire career. He's sucked with the Rockies once, and he'll suck with them again. It stinks that this is just another team with a closer I won't roster. I hate limiting my options.

Hawkins did well when Parnell got hurt though. For 2.5mil, he went for cheap too. I can't believe why the Mets didn't keep him. Now they are saying they need more bullpen depth. Then why not keep Hawkins for 2.5? Or do they think they can get good depth for less? Ha!

I wouldn't pay $2.5 million for a guy who has been that good once in 18 years, and is highly unlikely to continue to do anything other than suck as he has over the vast majority of his career. I'd rather pay $500 K or $1 million on a guy who has just as good a chance of sucking or performing well. It's a near crap shoot in the bullpen, even with top end relievers, never mind mid-relief.
bigh0rt
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 348)

Postby Skin Blues » Wed Jan 08, 2014 6:12 pm

He put up 0.8 WAR last year. He's done that 7 times. He had a 2.93 ERA last year. His career ERA as a reliever is 3.08, which he has bettered twice over the past three seasons (in which he has a cumulative 2.96 ERA). So it's not nearly a career year out of nowhere. It's a pretty normal year. He's old, sure, but this is a cheap one year deal. Compared to guys like Boone Logan/Brian Wilson/Essentially-all-other-RPs, this is quite a nice deal. He may not be a prototypical power reliever, but Koji Uehara was the best reliever in baseball the past few years despite being an old dude with an 89 MPH heater.
Skin Blues
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: 113)

Postby garf112 » Wed Jan 08, 2014 7:35 pm

Funny thing is Hawkins has said he doesn't want to close. Basically, afraid of it. Maybe he got over it this year, but I'd be aftaid to sign him as a closer.
Join Pennant Wars today! A simulated fantasy baseball game where you are the General Manager.

http://www.pennantwars.com/index.php?r= ... &user=2163
garf112
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe Ranker
(Past Year: 38)

Re:

Postby Skin Blues » Thu Jan 09, 2014 11:12 am

garf112 wrote:Funny thing is Hawkins has said he doesn't want to close. Basically, afraid of it. Maybe he got over it this year, but I'd be aftaid to sign him as a closer.

It's not that hard to transition him to setup man in spring training if it turns out he really doesn't like closing, considering that the overlap of skills is essentially 100%. It's not like they're signing a guy to play 1B and might have to switch him to SS once the season starts.
Skin Blues
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: 113)

Postby rabidjack » Thu Jan 30, 2014 12:31 pm

Hawkins is a bit scary. But at the end of the day, there are only 30 closers, so he still holds some value!
rabidjack
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

(Past Year: 31)

Previous

Return to Baseball Leftovers