2013 CLOSERS THREAD - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

2013 CLOSERS THREAD

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: 2013 CLOSERS THREAD

Postby Garry26 » Thu Aug 08, 2013 8:04 am

The league is a little dead.
Also, all beneficial trading tactics fail in most leagues nowadays. Only lopsided trades or lopsided/BS trades that backfire due to injury or unexpected bad performance, will work.

An illustration of my point: I missed the draft in a league. As a result I had a glut of top OFs and a horrid pitching staff. I tried OF for SP trades and the offers I got either had nothing to do with what I wanted (not even SPs), or over reached. Even lopsided trades in their favor failed by over-the-top overplaying of their hand to the tune of a "McCucthen/Rios/Bruce for Wainwright counter-offer.
I love mock drafts.
Garry26
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 64)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Frenchiegangsta9 » Thu Aug 08, 2013 9:08 am

you need a new league Gary. As for dropping closers, I wouldnt drop Melancon or Brothers until Grilli/Betancourt are back. As for Melancon, he is still worth holding onto even if he isnt closing.
Frenchiegangsta9
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 15)

Postby Millhouse » Thu Aug 08, 2013 11:51 am

Frenchiegangsta9 wrote:you need a new league Gary. As for dropping closers, I wouldnt drop Melancon or Brothers until Grilli/Betancourt are back. As for Melancon, he is still worth holding onto even if he isnt closing.

If you have a gun to the head and HAVE TO drop one, I'd drop Brothers over Melancon. I own brothers and would drop him for Melancon if I had to.
Millhouse
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 98)

Postby Frenchiegangsta9 » Thu Aug 08, 2013 11:58 am

Millhouse wrote:
Frenchiegangsta9 wrote:you need a new league Gary. As for dropping closers, I wouldnt drop Melancon or Brothers until Grilli/Betancourt are back. As for Melancon, he is still worth holding onto even if he isnt closing.

If you have a gun to the head and HAVE TO drop one, I'd drop Brothers over Melancon. I own brothers and would drop him for Melancon if I had to.

Agreed. Even if there wasnt a gun to my head.
Frenchiegangsta9
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 15)

Postby Garry26 » Thu Aug 08, 2013 12:09 pm

No gun to my head over the Melancon/Brothers issue, but I'd like to activate Dominic Brown asap. Especially since he came back on fire.

To do that, an RP has to go. Furthermore, with 7 RPs, one is always on the bench because there's no room. I have:
Romo in the RP slot
Holland in the RP slot and in the other four P slots:
Beniot, Uehara, Melancon, and Henderson. Brothers currently on bench.
Tuesday I had Henderson benched over Brothers and lost a Sv.
I love mock drafts.
Garry26
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby KobraCola » Fri Aug 09, 2013 12:35 am

Garry26 wrote:No gun to my head over the Melancon/Brothers issue, but I'd like to activate Dominic Brown asap. Especially since he came back on fire.

To do that, an RP has to go. Furthermore, with 7 RPs, one is always on the bench because there's no room. I have:
Romo in the RP slot
Holland in the RP slot and in the other four P slots:
Beniot, Uehara, Melancon, and Henderson. Brothers currently on bench.
Tuesday I had Henderson benched over Brothers and lost a Sv.

I agree with the others; my view might be slightly skewed cause I'm in a hold league so he's been relevant for me all year long, but you couldn't PAY me to drop Melancon. He's been far-and-away one of the best RP's in the league, even/especially taking advanced stats into consideration. It's a tough choice, but I'd probably go with dropping Rex. As you said, Betancourt is much more likely to return sooner (mid-August) than Grilli (could be ready by the end of August, but Rotoworld says early Sept. is much more likely, plus the Pirates don't need to rush him, really, since they currently have the best record in the MLB and are probably looking to give Grilli as much rest time as possible to get him as close to 100% as possible for the postseason) and I think Betancourt will likely re-take the closer job from Rex. In addition, Rex is the worst or near the worst out of the 7 in the most categories (2nd-worst K/9, worst BB/9, 2nd-worst HR/9, an extremely high to the point of being unsustainable 94.3 LOB%, worst FIP, worst xFIP, due for the most regression, and worst WAR). However, as Ray Zorback said, you really should try to swing a trade, if possible. I understand you want to activate Domonic ASAP, but it'd really be a shame to just drop a closer to the waiver wire where someone will immediately scoop him up. You may have to settle for a somewhat lopsidedly-bad trade, but at least you'll get SOMEthing back in that scenario.
KobraCola
College Coach
College Coach

Postby Shermanator » Sat Aug 10, 2013 9:37 am

Dane De La Rosa with the save, and will likely get opportunities at least in the short term.
Shermanator
College Coach
College Coach

(Past Year: 3)

Postby Garry26 » Sun Aug 11, 2013 2:50 pm

LaTroy Hawkins seems to be getting the saves for the Mets despite Collins' claims of non-commitment. He probably just meant "If he doesn't pan out I will play musical chairs." He has gotten 3 saves in 5 days since Parnell hit the DL so....
I love mock drafts.
Garry26
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Millhouse » Sun Aug 11, 2013 4:15 pm

Might be time to pick up David Robertson, folks. Mariano implodes again...up 4-2, HRs to Mig Cabrera and V-mart, tie ballgame. Yeesh... :-P
Millhouse
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 98)

Postby cardsfan » Sun Aug 11, 2013 4:33 pm

I agree. Robertson needs to be owned in every league until Mariano strings together a couple good outings
cardsfan
College Coach
College Coach

(Past Year: 7)

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers