2013 CLOSERS THREAD - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

2013 CLOSERS THREAD

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: 2013 CLOSERS THREAD

Postby footballisbetter.com » Wed Jul 31, 2013 12:20 pm

Angels manager Mike Scioscia indicated after Tuesday's loss to the Rangers that he could use a closer-by-committee moving forward.
Frieri blew his second straight save Tuesday and has allowed eight runs on nine hits and four walks over his last four appearances. Sensing that his confidence "might be a little nicked right now," Scioscia said he'll try to play the matchups a bit more in the ninth inning for now. Dane De La Rosa is probably the best pickup for fantasy purposes.
Source: Angels.mlb.com Jul 31 - 11:13 AM
footballisbetter.com
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: 92)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby IonZephyr » Wed Jul 31, 2013 2:58 pm

Picked up Ryan Madson yesterday (already own Frieri).... any chance we see him soon??? :(
My 14 team league (Redraft H2H)
C McCann
1B M.Carpenter
2B Hill
3B Beltre
SS Desmond
OF: DeAza/Moss/R.Davis
BN: Rizzo
DL: Kemp
SP: Wainwright, Kuroda, Peavy, Garza, Gallardo, Cingrani, Leake, Wacha
RP: Romo, Cishek, Frieri
IonZephyr Beginner
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

(Past Year: 6)

Postby Garry26 » Thu Aug 01, 2013 11:45 am

Even if Madson returns they won't throw him to the wolves in the 9th off the bat so he's not closing. They'll probably just use him to save arms and to get him on the right foot for next season.
I love mock drafts.
Garry26
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 64)

Postby daullaz » Thu Aug 01, 2013 2:22 pm

I think now is the time to buy low on Frieri. None of the other guys in that bullpen have had a great July either, and I would still feel pretty confident Frieri leads the team in save over the rest of the season.

I talk about that and more in the new Bottom of the 9th article on the front page.
daullaz
Head Scribe
Head Scribe

EditorCafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 56)

Postby AHF » Thu Aug 01, 2013 9:22 pm

Any of these closers likely to move in post-deadline deals? (Looking at you, Kevin Gregg).
AHF
College Coach
College Coach

(Past Year: 8)

Postby HighHeater » Fri Aug 02, 2013 2:36 pm

SpecialFNK wrote:
Bob Nightengale of USA Today reports that the Dodgers are the frontrunners to sign reliever Brian Wilson.
CBS Sports' Scott Miller reported Monday night that Pirates and Giants were "serious suitors" for Wilson, but Nightengale hears that the Dodgers have moved ahead of the pack. The right-hander has been out all season rehabbing from Tommy John surgery, but he has impressed in recent bullpen sessions and feels game-ready. He could be an impact reliever down the stretch.

if that happens who closes in LA?

Kenley is a dominate CL... possible top 3 guy in the game imo... Wilson signing shouldn't scare anyone off Jansen... in fact it might be a good time to try to buy on Kenley using that for un unsuspecting owner for leverage.
HighHeater
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 3)

Postby HighHeater » Fri Aug 02, 2013 2:40 pm

Just wanted to say how good Gregg Holland really is... you never hear anything on the guy just "KC bullpen is really good" and rightfully so... it is... but man that kid throws gas, i saw him touch 99 a couple times this year and he NEVER gives up a HR. He's literally been the best closer in baseball this year in my eyes, on the field and in the stats... 14.43 K per 9 is Kimbrel-like with a mini 0.88 WHIP! Yet you still don't see him anywhere near the top rankings on sites...
HighHeater
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 3)

Postby J35J » Fri Aug 02, 2013 4:02 pm

HighHeater wrote:Just wanted to say how good Gregg Holland really is... you never hear anything on the guy just "KC bullpen is really good" and rightfully so... it is... but man that kid throws gas, i saw him touch 99 a couple times this year and he NEVER gives up a HR. He's literally been the best closer in baseball this year in my eyes, on the field and in the stats... 14.43 K per 9 is Kimbrel-like with a mini 0.88 WHIP! Yet you still don't see him anywhere near the top rankings on sites...

That fastball is his 3rd best pitch too. :-°
J35J
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 363)

Postby jackie hayes » Fri Aug 02, 2013 6:11 pm

Wilhelmsen out as closer (for now, at least). Sounds committee-ish, but I haven't read anything definite. Perez, Medina, or Farquhar?
jackie hayes
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafeholic
(Past Year: 65)

Re: Re: 2013 CLOSERS THREAD

Postby Thracken » Fri Aug 02, 2013 6:58 pm

jackie hayes wrote:Wilhelmsen out as closer (for now, at least). Sounds committee-ish, but I haven't read anything definite. Perez, Medina, or Farquhar?

I think the M's just plan to throw Felix 9 innings everyday...
Thracken
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

CafeholicCafe RankerCafecasterTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner
(Past Year: 57)

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers